• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Debrecen beta1

I played this one for the 1st time tonight (a couple of hrs), and I must agree that there are some resupplies needed.
I don't mind driving back, to get some, but please add the option, so that players can fight longer...I've seen to many players suicide, because they ran out of ammo.

Some of the objectives are hard to hold for infantry, because none of the buildings are accessible.
Would be nice, if some guys with satchels/panzerfausts could hang around in those small villages, and hide inside a house if needed.

Other than that, great map!
I love the extended battles on long range, with many tanks facing each other.

Btw, have you considered adding artillery to this map?
I know you're pretty new to the editor, but what's your view on this?

Upvote 0
Very nice map. Plays well and makes for a very good tanking experience.

I agree on the ammo resupply points, but you're taking care of that already, I think.

One point I'd like to mention, however, is that on the German side in the initial spawn area I was in for some nasty FPS falls, with the framerate plummeting to a measly 15-17 on average. The rest of the map was much better, but those clusters of trees on the way out of German spawn are a framerate killer. If you can find a way to improve that, it'd be smashing.

Upvote 0
That FPS falls began after I added all vehicles. I don't know why is like that.

Some of the objectives are hard to hold for infantry, because none of the buildings are accessible.
Would be nice, if some guys with satchels/panzerfausts could hang around in those small villages, and hide inside a house if needed.

I just exactly wanted that there wouldn't be any infantry hiding that nobody couldn't kill him. I wanted to do only tank map.

Upvote 0
I haven't played it on a server, but ran around in practice on it. I think the whole map looks rather natural in the layout with gentle rolling hills and such. True, it can look empty at times, but for this map, I don't think that is bad.

Couple of things:
- Move the armored closeline in the village. It blocks tank movement.
- Even though it is currently armor only, I think it would look better with a larger village, may double in size (which would still be small)
- Farm area looks nice, although I would get rid of the green texture under the wheat and make it brown. The green just looks all wrong. Maybe add another small building or two (sheds?) over in that area. Dirty up the ground in that area too, not so much grass.
- I too took an fps hit near the German spawn. Nothing critical, but the area is lower than most of the rest of the map.
- I think you can throw around some bushes on the map without suffering hits to fps. Mostly if you add them, I think they should be around some trees, with maybe some clusters around other miscellaneous areas.
- A small stream running thru the map somewhere might be nice. Nothing severe, it should be small with gently slopes and it would be for purely visual effect (mostly just as eye candy to break up the endless grass)

Can't really think of anything else at the moment...

Upvote 0
I just exactly wanted that there wouldn't be any infantry hiding that nobody couldn't kill him. I wanted to do only tank map.
Ok, I understand.
I asked this, because my tank got seriously damaged near a village, and I jumped out, planning to try to hold the objective with satchels for as long as I could.
That was when I noticed I couldn't access the buildings...and no resupply anywhere, to get more satchels, lol.

It's not true, that nobody can kill you, when you're hiding inside a building: on most tankmaps, people need to get out of their tank, if they notice the area is hiding infantry somewhere.
That's not bad at all, imo...most combat will still be armoured.

Just my opinion, of course.

Upvote 0
Infantry isn't fun on this map (only annoying). Very frustrating when some guys make a suicidal charge with satchels (so get rid of the satchels please).
Though on a map like this one the BA64 can be used the way it is supposed to be used (as a scout/artillery observer) like in blackday of july (though make sure that there aren't any satchels).

btw, congrats, you've made the most popular map at the moment (which even is a very simple one).

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about satchels.. And I think that maybe it should be on this map. In war obviously crewmans didn't fight with their satchels but there were many tank hunters hiding everywhere and many tanks were destroyed by infantry. So it's not so bad if 1 soldier will be hiding at village, buildings already aren't accesible so it's not so hard to kill him. And especially that with AB is very difficult to destroy tank by satchel beacuse it need to throw it on top of the tank. It's impossible to destroy by satchel when tank is moving... And I like also to put HE shell at some hiding soldier and seeing how he's flying :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Infantry isn't fun on this map (only annoying). Very frustrating when some guys make a suicidal charge with satchels (so get rid of the satchels please).
I don't play that way.
Take Orel, for example...I can hold Ruins for Red on my own - on foot - with satchels and plain infantry-weapons.
But...there's some cover, and a resupply there.
It's a role, that is often under-estimated: infantry, armed with satchels and binoculars. If they settle down somewhere, it's hard to get them, and often the enemy needs to use artillery...on 1 guy at an objective lol.
And if all is quiet at their position, they can use their binocs to call out targets elsewhere.

It's only logical, that there has to be some cover inside a village.
A few shallow walls, or some tall grass, will do fine too. :D

Upvote 0
I don't play that way.
Take Orel, for example...I can hold Ruins for Red on my own - on foot - with satchels and plain infantry-weapons.
But...there's some cover, and a resupply there.
It's a role, that is often under-estimated: infantry, armed with satchels and binoculars. If they settle down somewhere, it's hard to get them, and often the enemy needs to use artillery...on 1 guy at an objective lol.
And if all is quiet at their position, they can use their binocs to call out targets elsewhere.

It's only logical, that there has to be some cover inside a village.
A few shallow walls, or some tall grass, will do fine too. :D
But it is kinda weird that panzercrews do that. What you're saying sounds more like a forward artillery observer (like in Black day, it would be cool if that role was also in this map). Maybe that's a idea for this map, artillery? And not those small area's which get the artillery fire, but whole lines being shelled.
The only one who can call that is the forward artillery observer, driving in a BA64 or Sdkfz 251, and only armed with a small gun and binoculars.

Upvote 0
But it is kinda weird that panzercrews do that. What you're saying sounds more like a forward artillery observer
I know it's sounds weird.
That's why many tank-maps have some combat-engineer and anti-tank roles.
They just need some small vehicles to move around...same for an artillery observer (who has a Ba-64 on BlackDayJuly, for example).

I think that in RO, buildings should be open...if not destroyable, then at least accessible. Gives a small twist to the obvious gameplay, and a bit more realism.

Artillery on this map should be thought of carefully...right now - how this map is constructed - it will be to easy to put artillery on spawns, or spawn-exits.
The way to handle this issue, is the location of the radio's.
A radio-setup like on BlackDayJuly, is a disaster for Debrecen-gameplay (to many/to close to each other)...the one thing you need to preserve, is the chance to have LARGE extended tank-battles, which is something I haven't seen on any other tank-map yet. :)
Maybe it's an idea, to make it so that artillery becomes a defensive weapon on your map...ie, only becomes usefull, when fighting a "lost battle"....maybe it can turn the tide, who knows? ;)
(I think 1 radio at each initial spawn will do)

This is a kind of tank-map that is much needed, imo...I've played tons of Arad- and Orel-versions, but one gets tired of those variations on the same subject.

Gl!

P.s. don't send artillery-observers out into battle with just a side-arm...give them an ordinary rifle at least!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This map is not [SIZE=-1]Releastic [/SIZE]October 1944: The great Soviet drive of the summer crested in Hungary where desparate German units, far closer to their supply depots, finally slowed the Soviet spearheads in eastern Hungary. In late October, near the town of Debrecen two German Korps sought to cut off and destroy a Soviet Mechanized group that had outran its infantry support. Supporting the attacks of the 23 Panzer Division was sPz Abt. 503, equipped with King Tiger tanks. Divided up into kampfgruppes and parceled out to the support the grenadiers, the group claimed a total of 1500(!) tanks and 120 anti-tank guns destroyed in that period. At the same time, three Soviet Corps in and around Debrecen were surrounded and destroyed. also i hear the su100 was there __________________

Upvote 0
Finaly played LN & had a blast! Very nice w/ AB.
I do like the smoke feature that can be used to good effect. W/ AB I have no problems w/ satchels being too powerfull.

Initial thoughts: this is a good balance between BDJ & Orel 88-76. Arty is in both of those tho, & I think in the end it would be cool on this map too. No more buildings are needed, mud would be good, no inf class or spotters needed, add 5 king tigers for balance. :p

Thx for the great map!

Upvote 0
RO-Debrecen beta2 rocks my socks!

Anyhoo... Keep it the way it is as a pure Tank vs Tank map.

No arty. No inf. No half tracks. No clown car. No nonsense...

I took out an IS with a StugIII at 1000 meters the other day on the FKMOD server. I could barley see him, but after 10 shots I killed the guy wondering who kept hitting him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This map is not [SIZE=-1]Releastic [/SIZE]October 1944: The great Soviet drive of the summer crested in Hungary where desparate German units, far closer to their supply depots, finally slowed the Soviet spearheads in eastern Hungary. In late October, near the town of Debrecen two German Korps sought to cut off and destroy a Soviet Mechanized group that had outran its infantry support. Supporting the attacks of the 23 Panzer Division was sPz Abt. 503, equipped with King Tiger tanks. Divided up into kampfgruppes and parceled out to the support the grenadiers, the group claimed a total of 1500(!) tanks and 120 anti-tank guns destroyed in that period. At the same time, three Soviet Corps in and around Debrecen were surrounded and destroyed. also i hear the su100 was there __________________

As usual, spot on with the details Steiner. heh. not sure any of them are going to want to hear that right about now though. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0