• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO Box a little, err... unprofessional?

Capt.Marion

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2006
Beantown
These are my thoughts (AND OPINIONS!) about the red orchestra box as an amateur yet relatively experienced salesman. These are also comparing to the boxes of some of the better selling games such as BF2 and CoD:
  1. The main cover with the little pastel is real boring, and totally non-intriguing, if not repellent. This one (pulled from a thread long time ago about boxed version cover art) seems to be more intriguing in its darkness and all, although it could be a tad better. It also captures my attention as it would contrast against all of the birghter colored boxes out there on the shelves.:
    appleyard_evilhobo.jpg
  2. The inside- not that bad- The inside cover flap ain't that bad. Two things: All the versions I have seen in the states- the inside cover is REALLY FADED! Also, not many pics of action-- only one pic of a guy shooting. Maybe include a sshot of the arty in basovka lofting german corpses in the air while gerry and russian machinegunners exchange fire? That would portray action... and get people EXCITED!
  3. The back- pretty good, just a tad faded and not much action. Maybe tanks exchangin fire, or just a front or front-angled pic of a tank firing? Also maybe a pic of the menus, that's a thing I see a lot on different boxes.
These are my thoughts. Please don't consider this a rant nor flaming. These are just my thoughts as a concerned community member and diehard fan/player!

For more things about this, consider the thread hier

Well I really like the current box save for the cover which is cliche, untrue to the game, and not eye catching.

However, this is would have to be taken up with the publisher and is probably extremely hard to get altered now that the box is in the stores. Probably the only way it would ever change is if a "Special Edition RO" box came out.

Upvote 0
Well, it is ultimately their decision, let us not forget that ;)

Once the wheels are in motion on something like this, it's pretty hard to change things mid-stream. I mean, I've never made a video game and gotten it published or anything, but I've worked with major retailers across the US, and they're by and large about as 'change-friendly' as a Vogon without the paperwork.

Upvote 0
Drude said:
Well, you're quite correct in one thing: Dark colored box won't catch attention so much as Red one would but... Do we need random gamers who will buy games just for the box? ... (oh well, maybe it would also catch ww2 euthnastics who don't use internet so much)

Dude, I bought Arcanum just becouse what I read on the box, and man that game is so good

Upvote 0
Oddball_E8 said:
thats not the cover used in europe (as usual)... the european cover is much brighter with a completely different motive...
The dark cover was just given as an example of a presumably better alternative (it's a custom cover art dug up from an old thread).

This is the real retail cover art, used globally (and that's the one the OP discussed):

B000EY34O6.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50762224_.jpg

Upvote 0
Just to clarify for any that may be confused, the decision was the publisher's, not Tripwire's and I would guess that they paid an artist somewhere quite a great deal of money for that design (such a waste eh?). The publisher therefore would never have seen the posted design, nor would ever consider using it, as legalities would complicate matters too much. On top of the fact that they'd already paid for and finalised a (inferior) design. It's a shame, but it was too late when we had the original discussion. This is merely lamenting what became and contemplating what might have been.

Upvote 0
i dont really like the front of the box, at least not the russian, but the rest of the box looks good to me.
for the suggestion as to adding more action screenshots to it ( firing tanks/soldiers etc ) isnt really a great idea i think..
i like to think about this game as not to kill as much as i can, but to survive the best i can.
ofcourse its a shooter, but its not as actioney as most other multiplayer games out there ( just a whole feckin lot more intense:rolleyes: :D )

gah its hard to explain stuff in a language other then your own:D

Upvote 0