• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

revamping the melee system

StarHero-D

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
im sure something like this has been suggested before but heres my take on the subject. so i think something more could be done with the melee system/mechanics then whats already there no im not talking about nerfing and buffing weapons something different from that. here are some ideas which i will put out dual wielding,shield+combo and stances. so let me start with dual wielding this could be easly implemented by taking the coding or what evers related to dual pistols and applying them to melee weapons then making new animations to match the melee weapons so my suggestions for weapons are dual knife,dual machete,dual katanas and possibly dual claymores. on to the next part shield combos the combo part refers to its melee counterpart same deal with the dual wielding however instead of attacking with the offhand shield you can defend against melee attacks from zeds by blocking with altfire which replaces the melee weapons default altfire the shields can either work like armor and have durability or only debuff the damage they block. obviously sirens,husk,bloats damage will ignore shield defense. shields may also be pared up with pistols as well for starting shields i think it should go like this wooden buckler for low tier medieval metal tower shield for higher tier and riot shield for highest. so you end up with something like this shield combo = better defense dual melee = better damage single wield = balanced. now onto stances the idea behind stances is for stances in melee to act as iron sights improving the weapons performance for single wielding. if you guys have any positive feed back or your own ideas which improve on this let me hear them. a word of warning though grammar nazis and idea trolls will be ignored. and yes this idea was largely inspired by skyrim.

Last edited:
Would be interesting. Definitely knife and "prochete." :D

Katana, we could probably get away with because they're light swords.

Clayymore is where I would be iffy though. Granted, KF isn't a place to be grounded in "ralism" but they are fairly weighty swords. At least, the one I have sure feels like it compared to an axe or a katana. 0_o That said: dual claymores would still be pretty ****ing badass. :D

I know a while ago (read as: a year or more) someone suggested a riot/ tac shield. Think a tank medic but with an item instead of just armor. I forget what the general consensus on that was, though.

Upvote 0
I know a while ago (read as: a year or more) someone suggested a riot/ tac shield. Think a tank medic but with an item instead of just armor. I forget what the general consensus on that was, though.

Considering this community, it was probably shot to hell because of CoD.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind the idea, though I'd say to not allow the Katana for dual wielding, but rather implement a new sword that is a bit smaller than it that is meant to be wielded with a shield or another of its kind.

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea on the dual wielding, but I wouldn't want this to be on anything stronger than the Prochete. And with that, it brings up a question, would you attack with both weapons at once (thereby causing double damage, and remaining at the same fire rate), or attack one after the other (thereby increasing on an already awesome fire rate)?

Upvote 0
Anyways, I wouldn't mind the idea, though I'd say to not allow the Katana for dual wielding, but rather implement a new sword that is a bit smaller than it that is meant to be wielded with a shield or another of its kind.

Agree. Dual wield for only Machetes, Wakizashis, and Hand-Sickles. Also, primary fire should be one weapon's slash at a time, alt-fires are both (count as one hit, not multiple like Shotguns do). Weights go: Machete 1 kg, Wakizashis 2 kg, Hand-Sickles 3 kg. Dual wield: 2 kg, 5 kg, 6 kg respectively. Strengths should be in accordance to weight (Machete < Wakizashi < Hand-Sickle). Range: 70, 75-80?, 85 respectively. Dual Wakizashi/Hand-Sickle alt-fire stun Scrakes.

Also, dual Knives at 4 kg to go with that dual 9mm at 4 kg.

Wakizashi + Katana + Samurai Skin (Skin currently doesn't exist)= Would be amazing
Hand-Sickle + Hammer?
Dual Machete + Dave Butcher Skin (Skin currently exists) = Also amazing

I don't expect anyone to take my mini-suggestion seriously, but would be pretty cool.

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea on the dual wielding, but I wouldn't want this to be on anything stronger than the Prochete. And with that, it brings up a question, would you attack with both weapons at once (thereby causing double damage, and remaining at the same fire rate), or attack one after the other (thereby increasing on an already awesome fire rate)?

dual katanas would be stretching it a bit not impossible but definently streching they sure would be fun as hell to use though and yes if its using the dual pistol mechanics yes youll attack with both weapons unless you take chronologics idea into heart and have altfire be single swings only

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agree. Dual wield for only Machetes, Wakizashis, and Hand-Sickles. Also, primary fire should be one weapon's slash at a time, alt-fires are both (count as one hit, not multiple like Shotguns do). Weights go: Machete 1 kg, Wakizashis 2 kg, Hand-Sickles 3 kg. Dual wield: 2 kg, 5 kg, 6 kg respectively. Strengths should be in accordance to weight (Machete < Wakizashi < Hand-Sickle). Range: 70, 75-80?, 85 respectively. Dual Wakizashi/Hand-Sickle alt-fire stun Scrakes.

Also, dual Knives at 4 kg to go with that dual 9mm at 4 kg.

Wakizashi + Katana + Samurai Skin (Skin currently doesn't exist)= Would be amazing
Hand-Sickle + Hammer?
Dual Machete + Dave Butcher Skin (Skin currently exists) = Also amazing

I don't expect anyone to take my mini-suggestion seriously, but would be pretty cool.
thats not a bad idea for a altfire to single swing dual melees

Upvote 0
Would be interesting. Definitely knife and "prochete." :D

Katana, we could probably get away with because they're light swords.

Clayymore is where I would be iffy though. Granted, KF isn't a place to be grounded in "ralism" but they are fairly weighty swords. At least, the one I have sure feels like it compared to an axe or a katana. 0_o That said: dual claymores would still be pretty ****ing badass. :D

yeah i had the same thought process for dual katanas and claymores kf isnt exactly grounded on realism as you said. still dual katanas and claymores would be pretty fun to use though and their rof would be greater then their 2 handed counterparts

Upvote 0
In terms of game balance, it's better to not let either be dual wielded. Because technically you could dual wield AA-12s, among others (though I'd rather dual the M7A3s hah!).

maybe like someone suggested above there could be some smaller versions of the katana and the knife could get a neat buyable tanto upgrade which is a knife version of the katana. dual aa12s would be so op that its laughable though the reload time on them would be atrocious a sawed off hunting shotgun however would be awesome especially if its dual wieldable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Claymores can't realistically speaking be dual weilded. They are a hand and a half sword still technically, but a darn big one, and while weilding one one-handed might just about be possible, simultaniously weilding one in the other hand and being effective would be improbably.

Katana same thing, except that one-handed weilding them is very possible (katana wazuwaki or whatever it's called), but again, dual weilding them would require a lot of upper body strength.

Plus, game balance?

Also, I'm guessing we're presenting the whole "Dual weilding / sword+shield / single weilding" as being viable alternatives? In which case it would need some mighty good balancing to make it viable.
Can't secondary attack with the swords while dual weilding/sword+shielding?

Although it would be cool if you could dual weild the buckler with any 1 handed gun (9mm/buckler ftw?)

Also, I'd suggest for shields that they soak %damage from a frontal arc. Plus probably have a total damage soaked before destruction figure too.

Upvote 0
Claymores can't realistically speaking be dual weilded. They are a hand and a half sword still technically, but a darn big one, and while weilding one one-handed might just about be possible, simultaniously weilding one in the other hand and being effective would be improbably.

Katana same thing, except that one-handed weilding them is very possible (katana wazuwaki or whatever it's called), but again, dual weilding them would require a lot of upper body strength.

Plus, game balance?

Also, I'm guessing we're presenting the whole "Dual weilding / sword+shield / single weilding" as being viable alternatives? In which case it would need some mighty good balancing to make it viable.
Can't secondary attack with the swords while dual weilding/sword+shielding?

Although it would be cool if you could dual weild the buckler with any 1 handed gun (9mm/buckler ftw?)

Also, I'd suggest for shields that they soak %damage from a frontal arc. Plus probably have a total damage soaked before destruction figure too.

yes the dual wielding and shield combo is suppose to add more variety to the berserker class dont get me wrong the berserker class is great but i think something more could be done with it. pistol shield combo would be pretty cool but i leave balancing up to twi as i am not a modder so i cant give you any specific stats. but yeah the shields only protect front or were ever your aiming not your *** they will be oped unless they have some sort of durability to them to counter balance their awesomeness maybe the altfire for shields can be a shield bash of some sort. now when i say pistol shield combo the pistol refers to the entire sidearm family thats currently in killing floor mk23 44 magnum handcannon and 9mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0