• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resolution for the weapon order issues

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Ok, so lots of people are unsatisfied with weapon's order in their categories, as we see on flamethrower/mac thread, and so on. I came up with an idea after playing a medic with MP5, M79 and LAR (all belonging in the same weapon slot). Let's just say my team was poorly healed and crawlers were eating my armor like it was popcorn due to the default weapon order. So, to resolve all the problems with that, I propose:

Make the weapons' position in the slot based on picking order.

That way, everyone could just drop their items on the ground and rearrange order when needed.

Let's say that the first picked up item goes to the bottom of the slot. This way when you pick, for example handcannon and then .44, the .44 comes first after pressing slot 2 hotkey.

Another example: you spawn as a medic with MP7M, then buy MP5 and LAR. The order of weapons coming up is: LAR, MP5, MP7M.

Of course that only decides about order of weapons belonging in the same slot.

I agree that it would be pretty cool since for one thing it means each weapon will have its own slot (unless you somehow manage to carry more than 8 weapons), meaning you won't have to cycle through weapons on the same key before you get to the one that still has ammo.

Of course, since you'd have to remember where each weapon is you'd need something on the screen (perhaps something like the current weapon selection window) that appears when you switch weapon to help you remember.

One issue is that rearranging your weapons will, as you say, require dropping the weapon first, and I can imagine that being a bit tedious and possibly even troublesome in some cases.

Upvote 0
As an alternative, how about doing something similar to what was in UT99 onwards which was the weapon priority menu.

For example it would list the order (in preference top to bottom) like:

Rocket Launcher
LinkGun
Shock Rifle
Minigun

Anyone that plays UT knows the Shock Rifle is by far the best weapon so you could change it to something like:

Shock Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Minigun
LinkGun

This way you have your preferred load out order, without messing about with throwing weapons on the floor. You could always add an extra layer and have it by perk.

Upvote 0
if you ask me. add medic syringe and welder to Q and if you have to heal ur self you easily click alternative button. and then just have the other buttons open.

like if u pick up ak, lar and mp7.

ak will be on 3. lar on 4. and mp7 on 5.

if u pick up LAW, m79, scar, handcannon

LAW on 3, M79 on 4, Scar on 5. handcannon on 2.

you dont usually have over 3 weapons anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
That already happens if the weapons have the same priority. I guess it'd be simple enough to add an option that, when enabled, sets each weapon's priority to the same pre-determined value when picked up, then add a line to the weapon drop code that reverts the weapon's priority to its default.

Em... what already happens if the weapons have the same priority? :confused:

Upvote 0
Selection order determined by pickup order.

I encountered this with Medic.

I'd get an Xbow, and since it got it last, it overrode the H&K MP7.

The solution was to drop it and immediately pick it up, to lower its priority.

However this doesn't work on the other gun i used at the time, the FN SCAR.

So i believe it only works on selected guns :(

Upvote 0
I encountered this with Medic.

I'd get an Xbow, and since it got it last, it overrode the H&K MP7.

The solution was to drop it and immediately pick it up, to lower its priority.

However this doesn't work on the other gun i used at the time, the FN SCAR.

So i believe it only works on selected guns :(

Some guns share priority values. Not every gun is ranked according to every other one, it's generally done by perk weapons.

3 - Pump 3 - LAR
2 - Hunting 2 - M14
1 - AA12 1 - XBow

Just as an example. So when medics like you and I mix our setups, we can sometimes do that. But only on a few select combinations of weapons.

Upvote 0
Since both the slot & priority are in the weapons class's, why not have all the weapons output to a single ini, which is then editable by the end user. Weapons packs could easily tap into this ini as well same way as mutators add relevant sections to your killingfloor.ini
No more customization worries since individuals can set them up exactly how they like. (quick, on the fly editing would still be nice though)

eg,
[winchester]
Slot=3
priority=5

[bullpup]
Slot=3
priority=2

Reactions: RoastinGhost
Upvote 0
Since both the slot & priority are in the weapons class's, why not have all the weapons output to a single ini, which is then editable by the end user. Weapons packs could easily tap into this ini as well same way as mutators add relevant sections to your killingfloor.ini
No more customization worries since individuals can set them up exactly how they like. (quick, on the fly editing would still be nice though)

eg,
[winchester]
Slot=3
priority=5

[bullpup]
Slot=3
priority=2

This is quite genius. Also, you could just assign weapons the same values and just manage them by picking order, if you wanted to.

Upvote 0

eg,
[winchester]
Slot=3
priority=5

[bullpup]
Slot=3
priority=2
OMG is that you?
alan-moore-watchmen-corschach-alan-moore-silk-spectre-dr-man-demotivational-poster-1248512625.jpg

Upvote 0