• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reserve ARTY for the last objective !!!

Reserve ARTY for the last objective !!!

• Yep.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Nope.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
As some exellent new maps (FestungKurland, ValleyofDeath, Berezina, ect.)
gets bigger and longer than ever before (45 minutes!!!) I had this idea:

For attackers: you start with 3 arty strikes and get +1 for each taken objective.

For defenders: You start with 3 arty strikes, and after 30 minutes you get another 3 strikes.

that would prevent impatient commanders to use all arty before reaching the last objective(s).

(the amount of arty to start with and you get additional is just an example, should be changed individual for each map.)

with this solution taking objectives would be more pushing for the attackers, because so they can get another artystrike:

Soldier: "Requesting arty!"
Commander: "No arty left - take the next objective and I can support you with arty!" :D

Last edited:
Well, it all comes down to the players. Hopefully your commander will have at least half a brain and try to reserve some arty. At the same time, other players can remind the commander to hold off on some of the arty and save it for later. I have seen that done, many times successfully. Teamwork!

Personally, I would rather not see that changed for the existing maps (ex: Berezina is one as I have played that extensively). You shouldn't have to 'idiot proof' maps - for lack of a better term, it would take some of the fun and challenge out of the maps. Some responsibility must be up to the players and their teammates involved. Of course, it is ultimately up to the map creator what they want to do. :)

Upvote 0
I agree with 'saving' arty. On 'Berezina' it is often the difference for the Russians. There is virtually no reason to waste arty early from the Russian side. Two cases of early use: 1) as a parting gift at the second line when the Russians fall back 2) a nice 'here you go' as the Germans cap the AT gun position. Otherwise, sit on it until the final tense minutes and use it to repeatedly break up German assaults leaving the village area while the tankers cover the flanks. Same for the Germans to use as much as possible to hem in the Russians away from the final objective.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see this feature, though its not connected with realism.

Like to see this feature, too. :D

about the realism: it would be realistic cause of the time the arty-crew needs to bring a new load of shells from the ammo-bunker.
You cant expect that all ammo is stored next to the arty-gun.
Some would be stored in bunkers and has to be transported to the gun when needed.

And that would take 20-30 minutes. :cool:

Upvote 0
Where it is sometimes nice to have arty on the last objective, some of the maps require the arty to be used almost entirely in the early objectives. I think it's a matter of judgement for the commander about where to best use the arty. Hopefully he knows what he is doing or is at least not too close minded to listen to the suggestions of his team.
I think the arty is fine in how it's called, the problem I have isn't with the commander using all the arty, it's with tank commanders using the arty as well, wasting it when the commander and the team have been planning how to use the arty.
It's a pet peeve of mine to have saved a few arty on a map like Berezina till the end as the Germans, and along comes some tank commander who thinks it's cool to arty a single tank in a field and wastes them.

Upvote 0