• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RELEASE - StuG III Ausf G - Beta 1

@SchutzeSepp - Bolt is correct, in real life StuG III drivers did not have a hatch, and is the reason why it's not implemented our StuG III G; the stock RO StuG driver hatch is unrealistic. StuG III Gs were not really equiped with driver persicopes, like earlier StuGs, however, we still plan on increasing the driver's visiblity.

Of course. :) There is already a server running an Orel map with the StuG III G.

The Ausf G did have the scissors periscope for the commander, so that he could examin the battlefield without exposing his person. This would be an interesting feature to implement.

Also, the missing turret geometry is a known issue. ;)

Thx for the feedback guys.
yes we have talked about the
scissors periscope over at the DH forum for the jagdpanther :);) read here for pictures of the periscope and http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/viewtopic.php?t=951 what it looks like http://www.andreaslarka.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmm, so the velocity was not tweaked. it might have been my immagination then, but i had the feeling the shells had a straighter trajectory.

some suggestions then, ;) it would be nice for the driver to be able to stick his head out to spot tanks, but without then being able to drive. i actually drove past a t34 without seeing him, and when i was in position i saw him 200m behind me, rotated and killed him.

and "if possible " make the MG protection plate "undeployed" when nobody is using the loader position, that big square plate is a huge give-away and verry recognisable for enemy tanks, it makes ambushing verry hard.

as a german tanker i would ask if it was possible to place spare tracks on the front of the tank, like most StuG tanks had on pictures, and so upgrade the armor with an extra 4 cm :p

Upvote 0
SchutzeSepp said:
as a german tanker i would ask if it was possible to place spare tracks on the front of the tank, like most StuG tanks had on pictures, and so upgrade the armor with an extra 4 cm

I have always considered this for some of my tank projects since the Germans always covered thier tanks sometimes completely with spare tracks for example on the Panther tracks were used to protect its vulnerable sides and turret. For example here is a Panzer IV H using T-34 tracks along with some of its own tracks for added protection: Its a good idea only problem I can spot is its probably good for 1 hit I would expect a lot of the tracks to get blown off not so much with AP but with HE

Stugy pics:

Notice the shield (10 mm) is large enough so that the loader is pretty much protected from all small arms fire from the front

SchutzeSepp said:
"if possible " make the MG protection plate "undeployed"

Its quite possible you'd just have to animate the shield to rotate upwards when someone scrolls upwards in the Mg position. I would think you would probably have to take the shield off the exterior mesh and make it part of the "turret" or more likely the "mg"mesh.

SchutzeSepp said:
some suggestions then, ;) it would be nice for the driver to be able to stick his head out to spot tanks,

Im pretty sure the Stug III G had driver's optics like the earlier Stug's. Keep in mind no tank would go into combat with its driver's visor open or else a good AP or HE hit would shatter the panzer glass and kill the driver probably injuring the crew as well. In combat areas the Germans would shut it leaving visablity to the optics that came out on top of the driver's visor. (this is true for most German tanks from the Panzer II to the Tiger I) In the Stug III G's case I know the early versions had the KFF2 episcopes (see quote below) not sure what the later Stug III G used for visability perhaps some kind of periscope like the Panther?

Auchtung panzer said:
October of 1943 by MIAG had 80mm frontal hull armor. Early models were also mounted with KFF2 (Kampfwagen Fahrer Fernrohr) driver's episcopes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i just remebered that there was the same StuG in bf 1942, and the mg gunner position was verry unhandy. you could not see very much throught the shield slit, and the MG had a verry limited traverse, about same as main gun.
if you had made the late Stug with same mg shield as the halftrack, you could allow the gunner to scroll up to see more. unfortunately i think this big shield will be quite unhandy like it was in reality, i suppose thats why they changed it on later versions.

Upvote 0
The later Mg postion was remote on the Stug III G Like this:
fig3_panzer_mg_interior.jpg

The half-track's shield is very unhandy to me it really does not seem to cover you at all using the Mg position is just sniper or rifleman bait so I usually let the new guy use that position if you look at reallife pics the sheild seems bigger its nearly impossible to shoot gunner unless he stands up (scrolls up) or a sniper shoots thru the little gap in the shield or from the flanks. My point The stugs shield covers the gun pretty good from the front so I hope it is effective from the front against samll arms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The later Mg postion was remote on the Stug III G Like this:
fig3_panzer_mg_interior.jpg

The half-track's shield is very unhandy to me it really does not seem to cover you at all using the Mg position is just sniper or rifleman bait so I usually let the new guy use that position if you look at reallife pics the sheild seems bigger its nearly impossible to shoot gunner unless he stands up (scrolls up) or a sniper shoots thru the little gap in the shield or from the flanks. My point The stugs shield covers the gun pretty good from the front so I hope it is effective from the front against samll arms.

An "oh-by-the-way" on the periscope MG optic. It was a Z.F. 3 x 8 telescope, straight from the PaK gun that was fitted to a vertical assembly and into the hand carriage you see above. So if you want to include the periscope in the model, the optic's reticle is simply the Z.F. 3 x 8 like you have in the PaK 43 already....;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the photos and info gentlemen!

For our next beta the MG/Loader position will be fully functional with the mid-war MG34 arrangement (i.e. no periscope). The shield will protect against small arms fire, all except from the back and a sharp angle from the right (from the gunner's perspective). The hull should block most shots coming in from the left.

The loader/MG spot will allow for multiple scroll positions: inside hull, head thru hatch, on gun, and over-shield view.

Stay tuned...very soon!

Upvote 0