Regdolls affected by Momentum

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

O'Shannon

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
After watching the trailer i came up with an other eyecandy suggestion.

the Germans that are running towards the Command Center and get hit by the mg seen to stop there forward movement.
(Trailer @ 1:00)

and thats were i would like to see the regdolls drop to the front instead of just droping down right were they got shot..

Last edited:

Blue Orchestra

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 18, 2010
I agree with this idea.

In the Gamescom 2010 videos, it looks like they have something like this, but I can't really tell.

Reise

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
Stopping power doesn't mean pushing somebody around, it means how quickly someone can be "stopped" AKA killed.

I'm not really digging the death animations, they are looking like hollywood stuff where the guy grabs his chest after he gets hit, spins around and falls.

I only recall a few instances in the videos where people actually dropped cold as they should.

O'Shannon

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
i mean i wouldn't mind if players that have no momentum or very low one to die with those death animation (players that are standing or move slow(move while aim for example))
but if your running or jogging you would first fall at the direction you are running at.

i mean i really dont care tooo much about it but as i said in the first post it would be a eyecandy/nice-to-have thingy.

Peter.Steele

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 6, 2006
Chambers of the Grand Council
MG rounds packed some pretty serious stopping power. It's not inconceivable that the MG fire would have knocked a running man over backwards.

Yeah it is.

All that power is distributed over a VERY small area - something like .302 square inches, for a .310 bullet, which has extremely low mass in relation to the body it's trying to stop.

No matter what you see in Hollywood, a bullet does NOT knock someone backwards.

Roland777

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 29, 2010
Probably between tits.
Yeah it is.

All that power is distributed over a VERY small area - something like .302 square inches, for a .310 bullet, which has extremely low mass in relation to the body it's trying to stop.

No matter what you see in Hollywood, a bullet does NOT knock someone backwards.

I like you. You seem like a voice of reason. Let's be friends.

Erich

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Ft. Benning, Ga.
Stopping power doesn't mean pushing somebody around, it means how quickly someone can be "stopped" AKA killed.

I'm not really digging the death animations, they are looking like hollywood stuff where the guy grabs his chest after he gets hit, spins around and falls.

I only recall a few instances in the videos where people actually dropped cold as they should.

I kinda get the same feeling. I think they just need to be refined some more and maybe toned down.

Lucan946

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 12, 2009
Yup. Definitely agree with this. ArmA 2 has a pretty good animation for this (if someone's running forward and they die, they continue forward whilst falling.)

Baine

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah it looked weird in the trailer. Everyone ran and suddenly they all died like they just stood there. (Probably the exact same reason, maybe they recorded the deathscenes separatly and had them just stand there)

Normally a soldier running like that and getting shot would just fall over on his face.

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 22, 2009
After watching the trailer i came up with an other eyecandy suggestion.

the Germans that are running towards the Command Center and get hit by the mg seen to stop there forward movement.
(Trailer @ 1:00)

and thats were i would like to see the regdolls drop to the front instead of just droping down right were they got shot..

from what i can tell from the trailers and such, it seems the death animation has two stages. one where there is an actual animation, and the second, where the ragdoll physics takes over.

so the reason they sort of seize up rather than just dropping like a sack of potatoes may be because of the first animation stage.

UsF

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 3, 2010
Munich, Germany
It is all about conservation of momentum. A bullet does not pack enough punch to stop a man and is most likely to penetrate with most of its force.

Persons being hit should either keep their forward momentum while going into ragdoll, thus faceplanting the dirt in front, or start some sort of blending animation technique, where he keeps running a little while slowly turning into a ragdoll, falling to the side if hit in a shoulder (turning his upper body because of pain). Kind of like a slow death.

I also hope that there will be slow deaths for dismemberment, but that might be stretching it.

Lucan946

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 12, 2009
It is all about conservation of momentum. A bullet does not pack enough punch to stop a man and is most likely to penetrate with most of its force.

Persons being hit should either keep their forward momentum while going into ragdoll, thus faceplanting the dirt in front, or start some sort of blending animation technique, where he keeps running a little while slowly turning into a ragdoll, falling to the side if hit in a shoulder (turning his upper body because of pain). Kind of like a slow death.

I also hope that there will be slow deaths for dismemberment, but that might be stretching it.

That's a great suggestion, actually. I'd love to see that.

Carne

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 15, 2010
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 has a good "animation and ragdoll" blend effect. For those who haven't played it, if you shoot a zombie running towards you, it will do a quick animation that will blend into a ragdoll effect, causing the zombie to fall forwards.

Flanker15

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 18, 2006
Funny thing about this, I showed the trailer to my friend who doesn't play this kind of game or really care about nitpicking details and he singled out the ragdolls not falling forwards as the only thing that didn't look right without any prior suggestion from me.