• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Regdolls affected by Momentum

O'Shannon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
After watching the trailer i came up with an other eyecandy suggestion.

the Germans that are running towards the Command Center and get hit by the mg seen to stop there forward movement.
(Trailer @ 1:00)

and thats were i would like to see the regdolls drop to the front instead of just droping down right were they got shot..

Last edited:
Stopping power doesn't mean pushing somebody around, it means how quickly someone can be "stopped" AKA killed.

I'm not really digging the death animations, they are looking like hollywood stuff where the guy grabs his chest after he gets hit, spins around and falls.

I only recall a few instances in the videos where people actually dropped cold as they should.

Upvote 0
i mean i wouldn't mind if players that have no momentum or very low one to die with those death animation (players that are standing or move slow(move while aim for example))
but if your running or jogging you would first fall at the direction you are running at.

i mean i really dont care tooo much about it but as i said in the first post it would be a eyecandy/nice-to-have thingy.

Upvote 0
MG rounds packed some pretty serious stopping power. It's not inconceivable that the MG fire would have knocked a running man over backwards.

Yeah it is.

All that power is distributed over a VERY small area - something like .302 square inches, for a .310 bullet, which has extremely low mass in relation to the body it's trying to stop.

No matter what you see in Hollywood, a bullet does NOT knock someone backwards.

Upvote 0
Yeah it is.

All that power is distributed over a VERY small area - something like .302 square inches, for a .310 bullet, which has extremely low mass in relation to the body it's trying to stop.

No matter what you see in Hollywood, a bullet does NOT knock someone backwards.

I like you. You seem like a voice of reason. Let's be friends.

Upvote 0
Stopping power doesn't mean pushing somebody around, it means how quickly someone can be "stopped" AKA killed.

I'm not really digging the death animations, they are looking like hollywood stuff where the guy grabs his chest after he gets hit, spins around and falls.

I only recall a few instances in the videos where people actually dropped cold as they should.

I kinda get the same feeling. I think they just need to be refined some more and maybe toned down.

Upvote 0
Yeah it looked weird in the trailer. Everyone ran and suddenly they all died like they just stood there. (Probably the exact same reason, maybe they recorded the deathscenes separatly and had them just stand there)

Normally a soldier running like that and getting shot would just fall over on his face.

Upvote 0
After watching the trailer i came up with an other eyecandy suggestion.

the Germans that are running towards the Command Center and get hit by the mg seen to stop there forward movement.
(Trailer @ 1:00)

and thats were i would like to see the regdolls drop to the front instead of just droping down right were they got shot..

from what i can tell from the trailers and such, it seems the death animation has two stages. one where there is an actual animation, and the second, where the ragdoll physics takes over.

so the reason they sort of seize up rather than just dropping like a sack of potatoes may be because of the first animation stage.

Upvote 0
It is all about conservation of momentum. A bullet does not pack enough punch to stop a man and is most likely to penetrate with most of its force.

Persons being hit should either keep their forward momentum while going into ragdoll, thus faceplanting the dirt in front, or start some sort of blending animation technique, where he keeps running a little while slowly turning into a ragdoll, falling to the side if hit in a shoulder (turning his upper body because of pain). Kind of like a slow death.

I also hope that there will be slow deaths for dismemberment, but that might be stretching it.

Upvote 0
It is all about conservation of momentum. A bullet does not pack enough punch to stop a man and is most likely to penetrate with most of its force.

Persons being hit should either keep their forward momentum while going into ragdoll, thus faceplanting the dirt in front, or start some sort of blending animation technique, where he keeps running a little while slowly turning into a ragdoll, falling to the side if hit in a shoulder (turning his upper body because of pain). Kind of like a slow death.

I also hope that there will be slow deaths for dismemberment, but that might be stretching it.

That's a great suggestion, actually. I'd love to see that.

Upvote 0