• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Regarding performance

Dude, after the patch which happened yesterday, my sound is buzzing and is completely frustrating. The GAMEPLAY in its core, true, is not of course broken. But you don't have to take what I wrote to such an extent. I'm speaking of the technical side of the game. I can't stand all the asslicking and backscratching coming from some people like there's no problem whatsoever. That's what I meant.

I fraps 80 FPS solid in this game Ultra quality on everything. SHadows set to "high". No stupid FSAA and my system is GTX460 with a quad 2500K at 4GHz.

Explain to me why my syustem runs so good and your AMD runs like @ss?

Could it be AMD? Noooo, of course not. It could never be AMD, hell they are CPU gods that makes the best stuff right?

LOL

Upvote 0
Thought I'd just chip in.

I have a Q9550 @3.8ghz and an EVGA GTX480 SC, 4gb ram and I feel RO2 is crippling my system. I was able to run at 2560x1440 res during early beta but have now dropped to 1920x1080 due to fluctuating frame-rates and stutter. Running 'stat memory' during SP revealed that physical memory being used was 0 and that page file used was around 650mb! What's that all about? I also had to drop from ultra settings to high/medium to get reasonable game play.

It's a shame that I have to make the game look pretty ugly to get it running reasonably now. I hope TWI don't start cutting back on detail etc, hopefully there's another answer. I've had numerous lock-ups and crashes this morning also.

I'll get some perf logs/crash dumps etc sent off to TWI.

So you were playing in a super silly high resolution then "dropped" down to 1080P HD...ahh....poor baby. You want some cheeze with your whine?

Give it a rest.. jesus!

Last edited:
Reactions: SneakyPete
Upvote 0
I fraps 80 FPS solid in this game Ultra quality on everything. SHadows set to "high". No stupid FSAA and my system is GTX460 with a quad 2500K at 4GHz.

Explain to me why my syustem runs so good and your AMD runs like @ss?

Could it be AMD? Noooo, of course not. It could never be AMD, hell they are CPU gods that makes the best stuff right?

LOL

What the HELL did you just say? In EVERY post in which I mentioned my PC I said that it's not exactly a gaming rig. I am completely aware that intel processors today are better than AMD ones, especially better than Athlon like mine. That still doesn't explain how the game STUTTERS while my FPS meter shows 70 fps.

Upvote 0
What the HELL did you just say? In EVERY post in which I mentioned my PC I said that it's not exactly a gaming rig. I am completely aware that intel processors today are better than AMD ones, especially better than Athlon like mine. That still doesn't explain how the game STUTTERS while my FPS meter shows 70 fps.

Video driver issue? AMD chipset driver issue? FYI I am using 275.33 no issues.

Upvote 0
Look I'm running RO2 on my frigging iMac which EVERYONE knows are lousy for gaming. I average around 30 FPS and the gameplay is just fine. It's definitely smooth enough to enjoy. All you people who complain that your only getting 30 to 50 FPS and the game is unplayable are ridiculous. If you have a super rig, you will probably have a performance fix down the road. So why complain? Here I am stuck playing on an iMac, most likely no perf fixes in sight, and I'm perfectly content. The entitlement and impatience among people these days is UNBELIEVABLE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look I'm running RO2 on my frigging iMac which EVERYONE knows are lousy for gaming. I average around 30 FPS and the gameplay is just fine. It's definitely smooth enough to enjoy. All you people who complain that your only getting 30 to 50 FPS and the game is unplayable are ridiculous. If you have a super rig, you will probably have a performance fix down the road. So why complain? Here I am stuck playing on an iMac, most likely no perf fixes in sight, and I'm perfectly content.

PC gamers are spoiled. They feel that they should be able to play in stupid silly super-high resolutions with FSAA settings comming out of there @ss! LOL

Upvote 0
Video driver issue? AMD chipset driver issue? FYI I am using 275.33 no issues.

So, let me get this straight....
Instead of FIXING the core problems, we are just going to treat the Symptoms? Dumbing down the levels is NONSCENSE!

The fact that my machine runs CLIFFS OF DOVER (a PC only title) better than this game is insane!

DONT BLAME OUR HARDWARE NOT BEING ABLE TO HANDLE YOUR GAME. THAT IS BULL****.

You lost a LOT of respect from me, Ramm. Own up your mistakes instead of blaming others.

i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Asus p8p67 deluxe rev 3.0
asus 580 gtx 1.5gig
8gig RAM @ 1600
Windows 7 64bit
1200watt PSU

I run this game with HORRIBLE performance, and don't EVEN try to say my 2600k/580gtx can't handle your polygon count. That crap may fly with politics, NOT HERE.

It must be my drivers, or my crappy AMD, or my crappy GPU.

Upvote 0
For those of you with AMD crossfire setups that are seeing a performance decrease instead of increase, it is due to the game being CPU bound.

Our plans on performance improvements include lower the the cpu usage. This should result in more people seeing an increase in their frames. Until then, please disable crossfire for RO 2.
Yoshiro I got a question for you.
JG said that new hardware is choking on the RO2 needs,does that means this is what happens when we see our GPU usage going from 50-60% to 30-35%?
Does forcing the GPU to work at good 80-90% depends on you guys or new drivers?

As for the CPU usage that JG said game is CPU heavy,honestly I only see 35-40% usage of my AMD x6 core,looks about right to me.

I get the feeling that we all need new drivers,ATI and Nvidia,I have the feeling without the new drivers there is so much you guys can do.

Upvote 0
For all of you using junk onboard sound. Get a clue, this is your first problem. Onboard sound sucks, causes nothing but issues in games and should be freaken banned from PC gaming. Take $50 bucks and buy a decent sound card. This is not rocket science people! Second issue is turn off FSAA settings. Turn it off. Not low or medium. Turn it bloody off!! It takes away your performance period! It dosen't make the game look better. Go see a doctor if you have some obsession with a jaggie on a straight line. There is medication for obsessive disorders like this. Jesus, everytime I read some bone-head crying about performance the first thing I see is they are using FSAA. It is stupid, not needed and all you are doing is taking away frames per second not adding to it. A small jaggie on a straight line dosen't make the game any different!

Upvote 0
Dude, after the patch which happened yesterday, my sound is buzzing and is completely frustrating. The GAMEPLAY in its core, true, is not of course broken. But you don't have to take what I wrote to such an extent. I'm speaking of the technical side of the game. I can't stand all the asslicking and backscratching coming from some people like there's no problem whatsoever. That's what I meant.

I understand what you mean, but there's a difference between what your post "says" and what it "does." I truly believe that in a situation like this, it creates more animosity between players/forum members/devs to berate the game to such an extent.

Believe me, they know that problems exist. They are actively working on it. What more can we as a community do besides routinely report bugs and post our specs and performance issues in a semi-professional way so that they can address everything.

It's going to take time. Sure its unfortunate that these issues weren't discovered earlier so that the initial release could be polished and perfect, but we're already in this situation, lets make the best of it.

I don't think one person here wants to see the dev team fail to bandage every issue in the game so that we can all enjoy the awesomeness. Its just the manner and ferocity with which some members have made complaints that is simply uncalled for. It does no good. Post your issue in a scientific manner (i.e. description without any emotion) and then go about your way.

We all bought the game. We all believe in Tripwire. Give it some time.

I have nothing but respect for this community, the majority of the people on here are fantastic. Lets keep the bar high.

/soapbox end :cool:

Upvote 0
For all of you using junk onboard sound. Get a clue, this is your first problem. Onboard sound sucks, causes nothing but issues in games and should be freaken banned from PC gaming. Take $50 bucks and buy a decent sound card. This is not rocket science people! Second issue is turn off FSAA settings. Turn it off. Not low or medium. Turn it bloody off!! It takes away your performance period! It dosen't make the game look better. Go see a doctor if you have some obsession with a jaggie on a straight line. There is medication for obsessive disorders like this. Jesus, everytime I read some bone-head crying about performance the first thing I see is they are using FSAA. It is stupid, not needed and all you are doing is taking away frames per second not adding to it. A small jaggie on a straight line dosen't make the game any different!

1. I did a test with FSAA in this game. Looking at a point in Commisar House map. 47 fps with FSAA off, 47 fps with FSAA on high, how is that even possible?
2. If you can't see the difference in looks with AA on and OFF, you need stronger glasses.

My soundcard is not onboard, it's a 24bit USB creative labs soundblaster 5.1
I played millions of games on it since I bought it. I record guitars and bass guitars in Cubase 5 on it without any sound lag. I never before had sound issues or buzzing coming out of my Sennheiser stereo monitoring headset which is connected via cable to that specific sound card. You need to start making sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I got onboard sound and its 100% fine.
I also turn off FSAA setting which make NO difference to FPS.
The same goes for many of us.
You might not have these problems, but other people do, for no hardware related reason.
There have been so many damn posts regarding the fact it isnt hardware related, why cant you understand that?

Upvote 0

Yes, please go see the good man

Upvote 0
1. I did a test with FSAA in this game. Looking at a point in Commisar House map. 47 fps with FSAA off, 47 fps with FSAA on high, how is that even possible?
2. If you can't see the difference in looks with AA on and OFF, you need stronger glasses.

My soundcard is not onboard, it's a 24bit USB creative labs soundblaster 5.1
I played millions of games on it since I bought it. I record guitars and bass guitars in Cubase 5 on it without any sound lag. I never before had sound issues or buzzing coming out of my Sennheiser stereo monitoring headset which is connected via cable to that specific sound card. You need to start making sense.

You have to FORCE it in control panel. Never rely on the game to do this. Force it off in Nvidia control panel. Problem solved!!

Reactions: MajorMelchett
Upvote 0
You have to FORCE it in control panel. Never rely on the game to do this. Force it off in Nvidia control panel. Problem solved!!

I allways have my nVidia control panel on application control settings, which means I am not in any way forcing AA, which means I do not need to force any AA off.
You are still not making any sense at all. Go see that doctor of yours.

Upvote 0
I allways have my nVidia control panel on application control settings, which means I am not in any way forcing AA, which means I do not need to force any AA off.
You are still not making any sense at all. Go see that doctor of yours.

Yes and by doing that you are not forcing FSAA to off. Would you just force it to "off" Then jump in game and see if there is any performance difference with it on and off. I am trying to trouble shoot with you here...

Upvote 0
So, let me get this straight....
Instead of FIXING the core problems, we are just going to treat the Symptoms? Dumbing down the levels is NONSCENSE!

The fact that my machine runs CLIFFS OF DOVER (a PC only title) better than this game is insane!

DONT BLAME OUR HARDWARE NOT BEING ABLE TO HANDLE YOUR GAME. THAT IS BULL****.

You lost a LOT of respect from me, Ramm. Own up your mistakes instead of blaming others.

i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Asus p8p67 deluxe rev 3.0
asus 580 gtx 1.5gig
8gig RAM @ 1600
Windows 7 64bit
1200watt PSU

I run this game with HORRIBLE performance, and don't EVEN try to say my 2600k/580gtx can't handle your polygon count. That crap may fly with politics, NOT HERE.

Well guess what - it can't. All the other games you play are probably based highly on LoD and lod technology, pipeline techniques, and high vertex buffers. The poly count capability of graphics hardware hasn't gone up since PCI-E 2, because you can't physically increase the bandwith without changing the ports on the motherboard. It seems to me that RO2 is rendering the entire map simultaneously - that's the easiest explanation. Other games don't do that. The question is why? Probably something to do with the realism aspect.

The devs didn't say it couldn't be improved at all, but they did say it was a demanding game to begin with.

Reactions: daschewy
Upvote 0

I would suggest testing with sound disabled first to see if that has any improvement on fps, it didn't in my case.

Nor does turning FSAA to high, med, low or off. There is simply another issue at work here.

FPS is patchy, sometimes it's up around the 80fps, others it's around the 30fps, but it never really feels smooth.

I have a Q8400 and all cpu cores are showing at < 50% so it's not CPU limited and at the same time my 5870 GPU is showing at < 30% utilised. I'm running everything on High @ 1680x1050. Dropping the Detail even to everything on low, does not improve the FPS or really change the CPU / GPU utilisation.

The Training levels feel great, the Range at the start and also the 1st mission where you get to order your squad about is like butter (but they are simple maps), but as soon as you get onto one of the game maps (Station for example), it's ~30fps and stuttery. But as mentioned CPU and GPU are not maxed in any sense.

I suspect there is another bottleneck? Shifting that much data around the System bus? which is holding up the CPU and thus GPU.

Ramm's point about the level size + complexity and needing optimisation is backedup by what I'm seeing I think?!

Everyone is busy thinking of the performance in raw CPU Core + GPU utilisation but systems / software are much more complex than this.

The fact you can run the same game engine in the training levels and it be buttery (which is the same engine as the rest of the game) show's that it's down to map optimisation and a bottleneck in the system / software that's stopping the CPU & GPU from being able to operate properly.

I'm simplifying & speculating here of course.

Are the Dev's able to give us a really simple Map big open field with craters and the odd fence in to test with? Perhaps make the 1st Squad training map available for simple FireFight multiplayer? This might show to users that it's map complexity that's causing this (or not).

Last edited:
Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0
So you were playing in a super silly high resolution then "dropped" down to 1080P HD...ahh....poor baby. You want some cheeze with your whine?

Give it a rest.. jesus!

Haven't you got some homework to do you k*ob? I have a super silly res because I can afford it ;)

My post was to highlight a gradual decrease in performance from beta to release in my case.

By the way I'm 52 years old! I don't need to whine ok? However by the sounds of it the community would be a lot better off without people like you...Stupid boy Pike! :D:D:D

Upvote 0