• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra: Combined Arms on Steam

Red Orchestra: Combined Arms on Steam

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
With many companies offering their back catalogs for sale on Steam, what are the chances we will see Combined Arms available?

Although it is technically the same game, I feel the changes between Combined Arms and Ostfront are considerable enough to warrant this move and I would gladly pay between 5 and 10 dollars for the older version.

EDIT: Also, I'm aware this may be impossible considering its a mod. I forget whether Tripwire got the rights to 2.5 as well as 3.0 or not.

Reactions: Nimsky
With many companies offering their back catalogs for sale on Steam, what are the chances we will see Combined Arms available?

Although it is technically the same game, I feel the changes between Combined Arms and Ostfront are considerable enough to warrant this move and I would gladly pay between 5 and 10 dollars for the older version.

EDIT: Also, I'm aware this may be impossible considering its a mod. I forget whether Tripwire got the rights to 2.5 as well as 3.0 or not.

Well.. Steam now sells UT2k4 as of this week (part of the Epic catalog).. and RO:CA is a mod for UT2k4.. not a stand alone product. Ergo.. you can get UT2k4 on steam and install the old RO:CA 3.3 mod... and you're solid.

As for rights, RO:Ostfront is a UE-2.5 game.. so that answer that question.. but TWI very likely doesn't have any rights to UT2k4, as that's a game by Epic.

Upvote 0
Yeah, meant to ask whether it was possible that TW could legally put Combined Arms up but since they do have 2.5, I guess thats answered.

And yeah I read about UT2004 and I'm about 99% sure thats the only option there's ever gonna be to get CA on Steam, but figured Id ask anyway. Id rather pay around 14 or whatever it is for CA and bypass all the ut2004 junk required. Plus we'd probably get more players though I'm sure TW isn't going to go for it considering it would confuse a bunch of people.

Upvote 0
No you will not see a free stand alone version, the engine cost money. If you want to play CA, grab UT2k4. It is a mod and always will be.

If you would like to play Ostfront (which is standalone) with CA type features reimplemented, grab the mutators from the mutator section that do that.

Upvote 0
No you will not see a free stand alone version, the engine cost money. If you want to play CA, grap UT2k4. It is a mod and always will be.

If you would like to play Ostfront (which is standalone) with CA type features reimplemented, grab the mutators from the mutator section that do that.

Thank you for continuously telling me what each game is. I'm sure you haven't forgotten I've been around since Beta 1 of the mod, and was a tester for Ostfront, but even if you have, my first post in this thread made it clear I've played both.

And no I do not wish to play a pseudo version of the game I like better but thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
Not really, I think his point was to just put the mod on Steam (standalone) without the UT2004 clutter.

Look at it reasonibly:
Why would TWI go back and invest the time/effort/motivation/money to port RO:CA, not sell it, and take away these resources from 'Game 2'. All for a product that is very similar to their current retail product?

If you want to play the Mod, you'll have to deal with 'all the UT2k4' overhead.. although much of it can actually be deleted anyhow (the UT maps and Music are safe bets, everything else (ie: texture packages and static meshes) you run the risk of being needed for the RO Mod... i know several things from the Ut2k4 bonus packs got used in the Summer Offensive map-pack for instance..)

Frankly, I suggest if you DO install UT2k4 to try the RO mod, you also try some of the other great mods that came from the UT2k4 MSU contest.. I hear Yoshiro knows about a dozen ;]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.