• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra and Project Reality

Mad Onion

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2006
I don't think I am breeching any rules in this post, but I am a great fan of both Red Orchestra and Project Reality. The intent of this post is to honor both mods, to encourage RO players to try PR (especially if you have Battlefield 2 lying dormant somewhere), but also perhaps to inspire the RO devs (and other modders) to strive to go one step closer to the 'perfect' WWII game. (Incidentally I have mentined RO positively on PR forums to those interested in WW2)

Just a quick background for those that haven't tried it.. PR is little like vanilla BF2. Though it is set in modern day battelfields of Iraq & Afganistan, with some fictional battlefields in Korea and China. But British troops are present, as well as US, Chinese, Iraqi, and various insurgents. But after playing many months of PR I could never go back to vanilla BF2. There is far more cooperation, far more fun, far more variety, far more realism, and a far better community in PR than BF2.

In Red Orchestra and Project Reality there is a striving for realism. Weapon handling, iron sights, shell ballistics and lethality are very good (IMO) in both. No crosshairs firing from the hip in either of course. I play both and intend to support both in the future. I know they are limited by the capabilities of the respective engines, but I am hoping in the future Ro2 (?) might borrow some of the innovative ideas from PR. =)

Here's a few things I love most about each game:

Red Orchestra (RO)
+ superb death animations, unsurpassed ragdolls, dismemberment & bloody skins
+ excellent first person tank animations with buttoning up hatches etc.
+ slightly better MG tracer effect
+ constant flow of new maps to play on
+ weapon resting feature.
+ Better indoor maps
+ It's the Russian front!
- Whiplash recoil on PPSh

Project Reality (aka PR)
+ Better motion captured animation of soldiers walking & running
+ Better detail on soldiers (incl.bump mapping)
+ More natural tank turning animation, plus crew enter and bail out of tank hatches
+ Some environmental physics - at least tanks don't get stuck on road signs!
+ molotov cocktail type grenades (on some maps)!
+ some deformable buildings - RPGs can take out walls in some maps!
+ Slightly better and more effective supression effects
+ Larger outdoor maps - making far more variety of tactics possible
- slow loading resource hog (really needs 2GB)

RO makes a solid effort at being a team game, especially within the confines of the UT engine. But I find Project Reality an even more satisying team game for these reasons:
+ faster (and therfore easier) to use radio commands
+ A limited 'Radar'. It's not so much a radar as a guide to knowing where friendly soldiers are, which simulates (IMO) the wide peripheral vision of real life that PC monitors severely lack. In RO the lack of awareness of friendlies outside your narrow vision contributes to the feeling of a lonely match to me. It makes holding a position or advancing together very difficult. In PR the radar contributes to realism and teamwork. But it's not ueber. There's no UAV in PR. You are able to 'spot' enemies for others on your team to know enemy whereabouts on 'radar' for a few moments. The spotter gets a point for this too, encouraging teamwork.
+ Better voice comms - there are channels for individual squads. Voice is used more often and effectively.
+ Better spawning system - cleverly implemented mobile and deployable spawn points - so less dull running to 'the front' required than RO - more tactics possible - squadmates can spawn together.
+ Fair distribution of specialized weapons (Players with fastest loading PCs cannot hog sniper rifles et al like they do in RO!)

For all these reasons I find PR has better teamwork in my experience (Australian servers) than RO. PR often features very good coordination between vehicles, specialized weapons and foot soliders. In fact you have to have effective teamwork to win. I love RO, but it does feel to me a bit like a deathmatch after PR.

I hope there is a RO2 with UT3 engine with some of PRs extra features. And a future PR with RO features! =)
Soldier on!

Last edited:
Agreed. Nice post.

Some of the things RO could definitely learn from PR are the supersonic bullet cracks, the recoil and a bleeding system. PR is definitely up there among the top realism games.

I think, the way RO is played. It's realistic. It just doesn't look realistic. The Muzzle Flash and the Tracer effects in RO seem to be grossly exaggerated. Those are hollywood style effects. I also have a feeling that the tracers have much more drop than standard bullets in RO. I mean alot more drop.

Upvote 0
Is PR one shot kill similar to RO or is it the standard BF2 full mag to kill from 20 yards?

It's one shot, one kill in PR or close to it (1 shot kill to head, maybe 2-3 bullets to torsoe to kill with weakest caliber weapons). A bit less mad recoil in full auto from the hip in PR too. It feels realistic like RO, but given the weapons are modern day they are even more lethal generally. There is a lot less mad rushing than in RO, even though RO has tons less rushing than BF2/COD etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well if TWI next project is another RO game, you can bet it will take full advantage of the UT3 engine. Also it will have much better player models/animations, and way more realsitic phisics. IE uses Ragdoll 2.0 system. it has much more control, and realism like what you get in the Half-Live soruces' Havok phisics engine.

Although UT3 also can handel much larger maps without as much strain on the CPU as UT2.5 we have now. It also has better sound controls, and way better effects can be achived ingame and online than ever could be on UT2.5.

You just wait. If another RO is to come it will make both COD4 Modern Warfare, and Gears of War look like crap. IE it will have the best graphics killer realistic gameplay and ultra fun online gameplay with up to 64 players in one map, with no slow downs, or near as much server lag as we get now.

BTW if there is another RO, please add in a training SP mode IE scripted AI will walk you through all the different parts of the game, witch BTW you should have to complete all of before your allowed to play online. Also a squad system would be ncie too. But if it is a WW2 game squads should have 12 men in them IE that was the max number in any squad in WW2, not the more confined 6 we have in modern times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am looking forward in the TWI's future game whatever it is.

PR is good, I have had a small taste of it.
I guess I am just unlucky, after trying it and enjoying it, I had trouble running it some other time.

Well... I have been VERY unlucky with the bf2 engin... it probably knows I hate it so makes the extra effort to give me hell.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with the original post, I've never seen as much teamwork on public servers in any game or mod than in PR, ever. The player base seems really mature and people actually use their mics. In RO, everybody is usually just randomly scattered around trying to get into the capture zone while in PR people usually move in squads and the squads capture different objectives (like once my squad was waiting at the next cappable objective while other two squads took the prior one).

Everyone who has BF2 should try it out, seriously.

Edit: I also like the fact that you can sprint longer than ten seconds. The soldiers of RO are in a really bad shape. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I doubt I will like it better than RO, or find it more realistic... unless they drastically changed it in the last 9 months or so since i last played it.

Can you still jump 4-5 feet in the air and pistol people with a "Boom!! HeadShot!!"?

Can you still jump off the rooftops and out of low flying aircraft and deploy your parachute?

The last round I played, I "snuck up" behind a dude and shot him twice in the head with my pistol, a double-tap. He turned around as if on a swivel and MG'ed me in the face... ><

Upvote 0
I doubt I will like it better than RO, or find it more realistic... unless they drastically changed it in the last 9 months or so since i last played it.

Can you still jump 4-5 feet in the air and pistol people with a "Boom!! HeadShot!!"?

Can you still jump off the rooftops and out of low flying aircraft and deploy your parachute?

The last round I played, I "snuck up" behind a dude and shot him twice in the head with my pistol, a double-tap. He turned around as if on a swivel and MG'ed me in the face... ><

Well, actually I think they have, I don't encounter those things when I play. And I don't think PR succeeds that much in realism (the rally point spawning etc.) but more in teamwork, that's where the fun is.

Sometimes when I've played with my friend on opposing sides while chatting in Ventrilo, I've noticed that high ping servers may cause illusionary hits (like I definitely saw blood spew out of my friend when I shot at him but he said I missed all my shots).

Ninja edit: And if you don't use squad VOIP, half of the magic is lost.

Upvote 0

It has drastically changed since you played it. No more parachutes for anyone but pilots. You can still jump rather high (cos no mantling of low walls), but there is such a stamina and accuracy drain that you are dead if you do it. So it is rare to see someone do it. But yeah RO and PR both need the nice mantling of COD2. =)

Upvote 0