• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2?

I've thought of this myself, and I've been worried about it since I started playing.

I see VERY little improvement possible to this game.

But I think that any screwing with the engine, HUD, or how things work is sure to just screw up the game more than improve it - because it is too close to perfect.

On the other hand, perhaps fix some jerkiness associated with player movement, live tank suspension, or maybe swaying trees and manipulating environment (tanks running down fences.) and than throw in the german armored car. NOW its perfect! :D

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't like the idea of RO2. The engine is fine (it looks great on new computers, but people with old comps can play it too!). There is also much to be done to this one. A lot countries still aren't in RO (like Finland and Hongary), a lot tanks aren't here and so on. I wouldn't mind if we have to pay for a upgrade which brings us some new tanks, weapons and countries.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if this has been mentioned at all.......

lol just a bit mate - i guess most of us would like to see it- lets just hope TWI arent bothered when ppl on these forums label elements of this game as woefully innaccurate, even as much as calling parts of it 'a joke' - and decide to use their Unreal 3 license to produce something for a less critical (and more lucrative) crowd.

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't like the idea of RO2. The engine is fine (it looks great on new computers, but people with old comps can play it too!). There is also much to be done to this one. A lot countries still aren't in RO (like Finland and Hongary), a lot tanks aren't here and so on. I wouldn't mind if we have to pay for a upgrade which brings us some new tanks, weapons and countries.

For an older engine, 2.5 has really proven itself. Good point about the diversity of computers that can run it and be playable. I have a friend with a 4 year old computer that runs RO pretty well. At the same time looking forward to all the improvements the UT 3 will bring.

As far as the new tanks, weapons and countries, the mods (CC, DH, MN, and any others) will be like free updates. Can't beat that.

Upvote 0
I've thought of this myself, and I've been worried about it since I started playing.
I see VERY little improvement possible to this game.
But I think that any screwing with the engine, HUD, or how things work is sure to just screw up the game more than improve it - because it is too close to perfect.
On the other hand, perhaps fix some jerkiness associated with player movement, live tank suspension, or maybe swaying trees and manipulating environment (tanks running down fences.) and than throw in the german armored car. NOW its perfect! :D

For an older engine, 2.5 has really proven itself. Good point about the diversity of computers that can run it and be playable. I have a friend with a 4 year old computer that runs RO pretty well. At the same time looking forward to all the improvements the UT 3 will bring.

As far as the new tanks, weapons and countries, the mods (CC, DH, MN, and any others) will be like free updates. Can't beat that.

PLENTY of improvement possible to the game. Mantling, accurate tank armor statistics (see Combat Mission), maps with actual forests (Arad w/forests), penetration code (at LEAST for tank shells), additional armored vehicles (Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish, Late War), destructable terrain (tanks rolling over stuff), sight zoom, fixed sound volumes (no whispering tanks), setup time for Panzerfausts, etc.

Most realistic WW2 FPS currently, but it's got loads of room for improvement. It will be perfect when it's got all the above plus ArmA and Combat Mission. THEN make sure it's delivered by a hot redhead with big tracts of land.

Upvote 0
PLENTY of improvement possible to the game. Mantling, accurate tank armor statistics (see Combat Mission), maps with actual forests (Arad w/forests), penetration code (at LEAST for tank shells), additional armored vehicles (Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish, Late War), destructable terrain (tanks rolling over stuff), sight zoom, fixed sound volumes (no whispering tanks), setup time for Panzerfausts, etc.

Most realistic WW2 FPS currently, but it's got loads of room for improvement. It will be perfect when it's got all the above plus ArmA and Combat Mission. THEN make sure it's delivered by a hot redhead with big tracts of land.

No...

Upvote 0
The only thing that I would be worried about for RO2 would be if they started making it too soon.

Personally I think they should do something slightly different first, expand their production horizons, and touch upon other areas like RO has touched upon the Eastern Front. I would like to see Tripwire take what they have learned from producing RO and create something else that will be just as excellent as RO is.

I personally think that when some of these companies create their sequels and expansion packs right after the original game (I'm looking at you EA!) they really are not giving the game enough time to reach it's full potential and the finished product ends up not that much different from the original.

Now I'm NOT saying that Tripwire wouldn't do a good job on RO2, and I'm not comparing them to EA, but I would still rather not see Tripwire make RO2 as soon as possible, I want to see what else they can do first.

Upvote 0
The only thing that I would be worried about for RO2 would be if they started making it too soon.

Personally I think they should do something slightly different first, expand their production horizons, and touch upon other areas like RO has touched upon the Eastern Front. I would like to see Tripwire take what they have learned from producing RO and create something else that will be just as excellent as RO is.

I personally think that when some of these companies create their sequels and expansion packs right after the original game (I'm looking at you EA!) they really are not giving the game enough time to reach it's full potential and the finished product ends up not that much different from the original.

Now I'm NOT saying that Tripwire wouldn't do a good job on RO2, and I'm not comparing them to EA, but I would still rather not see Tripwire make RO2 as soon as possible, I want to see what else they can do first.

I think this is an excellent point. When I used to play age of empires, I found myself installing multiple expansion packs just to play the game as I felt it should've been released originally.

I agree that the developers should broaden their own understanding of various factors in the current RO before creating another game.

That way it has a chance of being a great standalone game as opposed to.... well.... just RO2.

Upvote 0
I find it odd that you would rather not bring a new version of the game out because people have old computers. Sorry guys that's tough luck. If games weren't improved because of people PC standards we'd still be playing Donkey Kong & Pacman. If your PC can't run the game then get a new one. Once games come out on DX10 you'll need to upgrade anyway. You can't hold back game development because a kids perants can't afford to get him a better PC.
Sounds harsh but this is life & a living for these guys, not a charity.
New engine means better gfx, better effects & more content.
Personally i can't wait to see if they bring out a new RO with the same basis as this game but on a better engine.
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
I agree game development shouldn't pay too much consideration to those with out of date hardware- although remember a game made 7 years ago on an old pc can still be perfectly playable- whereas 7 years ago you couldnt really say that of the hardware/software of 1993.
I however I do have some fears of Ro2 appearing- especailly if it comes soon- and apologies but ill bring up my post from early this year (same subject) rather than retype, because I still believe this now.

..........RO will soon have people presumably playing MN, DH , CC and that tank mutator, with possibly more to come, thinning the out numbers somewhat. By the time the hypothetical RO2 comes out (what, say 2-3 years time?), there is potential for further splitting as it's unlikely the new title will replace the features of all these mods. Until that time it's fair to assume some players will stray to other titles like ArmA or others that haven't yet been released - a number at least equal to the new RO players probably.

Anyone who thinks RO community won't split at least to some extent if a next version is released is presuming phaps a too idealic future, one where we all stick religiously with RO and it's mods and at just the right time, when we are satisfied we've had enough, RO2 comes and the players move over to a man.

Games like DOD:s, CC:S and CoD2 have had ppl upset about how the new versions don't have the 'feel' of the old - and these are very basic run and gun games. Remembering by comparison how complex and unique the RO experience is, there is very little chance it can be replicated in a new version.
With 4 year + veterans of RO by this time, there is naturally every chance many ppl here won't like the style of a new game, just because it's slightly different- not bad, but different. Remember as a community Ro is probably more critcal and prone to scutanise gameplay than any other in this genre, some even to a point of re-making a huge part of the game.

People may say 'RO2' would attract new gamers - agreed but probably not many who have tried Ro already and do not play it now. I don't think that many reject Ro due to graphics, more that they cannot/will not invest the time to overcome the learning curve.
And if it did win them back you can be pretty sure we would be talking about an RO2 that most of us would accuse of being dumbed down, and stick with this version anyway.

It would be ironic, but phaps the best long term prospect for the series, if RO2 is released, would be RO all but dying out beforehand.

Personally my specific hopes for TW future titles would be...

A ultra realistic tank combat sim - development of what we have now.
A separate Vietnam based ultra realistic mostly infantry combat sim with quality A.I for Co-op missions
Both these titles naturally with an unparalleled attention to detail, as you would expect.

Upvote 0
All new games should be playable at highest settings on the very best hardware available. For instance i would expect UT3/crysis to work at 1280x1024 on maxed everything no aa/af on a 8800gtx/core 2 duo if it didnt then they have failed.

Making a game so it runs on your old p4 with a 9600xt is not and should never be a priority. If your game is scalable enough so it is back compatible great but if you cant upgrade your pc in a 5 year period shame on you!

Upvote 0
All new games should be playable at highest settings on the very best hardware available. For instance i would expect UT3/crysis to work at 1280x1024 on maxed everything no aa/af on a 8800gtx/core 2 duo if it didnt then they have failed.

And your talking now. Imagine what the PC's of 3-4 years time will be like. I bought a

Upvote 0
New equipment.

Athlon 64 (lets say 2 or 3 ghz) - 80 bucks
Motherboard - 80 bucks (often even less)
1 gb ram - 100 bucks

Used video cards...

Radeon 8500 - practically worthless, 20 bucks.

Geforce 6800 ultra - 100 bucks.

Reuse case/PS/keyboard/mouse/moniter/hard drives

Those prices can easily be beat if you look around, especially if you check ebay or pricewatch.com or newegg.com

Basically a system that can scream through RO at 1680x1050 resolution with all the settings maxed out at 80 FPS (sometimes dipping to 30 under extreme circumstances) should cost no more than 400-500 dollars.

Saves me money staying home playing games at night. :D

Now with 1000 dollars I could have alot of fun, buy myself a nice 22" widescreen moniter, 2 gigs of ram, best practical video card out there...

With 6,000 dollars I would buy a sport bike, probly a used honda CBR or GSXR. Book a flight to vancouver and spend a week relaxing and driving through the canadian rockies... Than take the last 1,000 dollars and build the hot stuff! 200 gigabytes across 2 HD's, 22" widescreen moniter, the works!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I take 2 or 3 holidays a year as the girlfriend lives in the UK & i live in Cyprus. I was gonna learn to ride a bike but i'm learning to fly instead so no need for a bike. I have a Landcruiser which i need to get my dive kit in so no sports car. I'm in the military so have cheap accomodation so no morgage. The only big thing i pay for is my beer bill & the credit card with the

Upvote 0
I take 2 or 3 holidays a year as the girlfriend lives in the UK & i live in Cyprus. I was gonna learn to ride a bike but i'm learning to fly instead so no need for a bike. I have a Landcruiser which i need to get my dive kit in so no sports car. I'm in the military so have cheap accomodation so no morgage. The only big thing i pay for is my beer bill & the credit card with the

Upvote 0