• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Recon Planes

Vyllis

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2010
Versailles, France
Hello,
Will RS will have recon planes like in ROHOS ?

I would love to see the USN SBD-5 Dauntless dive bomber (the SBD-3 was an early war variant, produced in 1941 if i'm right). It served during the whole war and was used to do many tasks, including reconnaissance duties. It's a slow plane, so it can fit well the game.

Another cool one and well know is the PBY.
Wikipedia have a great page about it (yes, it's wikipedia, but still useful):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_PBY_Catalina

For the Japanese side, my favourite for the reconnaissance is the Nakajima A6M2-N "Rufe". But it's an Hydroplane, and we don't know really what will be the maps in RS.

There are still the beautiful Aichi D3A and for pure reconnaissance purpose the IJA Ki-46 Recce (reco).

And you, which planes do you want to see in RS?

Last edited:
Recon planes will be in. I'm not particularly fond of them personally, but removing them isn't an option. That said, we're looking at potential modifications to their functionality to try and reduce the issues you've mentioned. We'll have to wait and see how feasible our changes end up being.

As far as what the planes will actually be, we have decided on specific planes for each side but I don't think we're saying what they are just yet. It's not exactly super secret info, but it's up to Nestor as to when we get to tell you unannounced stuff like that. :p

Upvote 0
Hello,
Will RS will have recon planes like in ROHOS ?

I would love to see the USN SBD-5 Dauntless dive bomber (the SBD-3 was an early war variant, produced in 1941 if i'm right). It served during the whole war and was used to do many tasks, including reconnaissance duties. It's a slow plane, so it can fit well the game.

the dauntless was an attack aircraft, not really set up for spotting
heres what we should get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_J-3_Cub#World_War_II_service

and maybe we could have this one, why? because I just like it. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Ki-15

Upvote 0
That said, we're looking at potential modifications to their functionality to try and reduce the issues you've mentioned. We'll have to wait and see how feasible our changes end up being.

If they have to be in what would maybe be more realistic would be something along the lines of you hit T after the recon does an flyover and a message pops up that informs the player where the 2 main concentration of troops are located. according to a map grid references. Presumably the location of all players is stored in a table somewhere and this could be computed to form a message that is useful for arty and giving players a general clue about where the bulk of the enemy are without giving away the position of every single enemy player even if they're hiding in a barrel in a cellar or whatever.

Upvote 0
Recon planes will be in. I'm not particularly fond of them personally, but removing them isn't an option.

Why is removing them not an option?

If they have to be in what would maybe be more realistic would be something along the lines of you hit T after the recon does an flyover and a message pops up that informs the player where the 2 main concentration of troops are located. according to a map grid references. Presumably the location of all players is stored in a table somewhere and this could be computed to form a message that is useful for arty and giving players a general clue about where the bulk of the enemy are without giving away the position of every single enemy player even if they're hiding in a barrel in a cellar or whatever.

Yeah if clusters of enemies were shown rather then individuals it would have some connection to reality and still be useful. The most annoying thing is the current implementation is when it's called in while an objective is captured since it forces AR vision on so you have "RIFLEMEN SPOTTED" all over the screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because Rising Storm has been billed from inception as having the features of RO2. If we didn't do as we said at the outset, can you imagine the whinefest that would follow?

What we can do, however, is have spotter planes; but alter the functionality of them to better fit our concept of the game. This is what we intend.

Incidentally, having one or two people, claiming to represent the entire community, saying, "Well, we wouldn't grumble if they went missing entirely" is not going to cut it. We would then be basically axing a feature we said we would have in, on the say-so of a very small group of people. So better for all those who are not huge fans of the current RO2 spotter system to wait and see how we handle them.

If you're still not happy then, whine away, knock yourselves out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please remember that as an official "mexpansion" we cannot outright remove any existing features of RO2, regardless of the preference any individual team members may have. We can however, make modifications to how said features may work to better suit our game. Those you have listed are all on the "to do list" to be looked at as targets for alteration but I will offer no specifics as to what we have in mind nor make any promises or guarantees right now that may later become inconvenient quotes in post release threads. We're way too far from completion to be able to make any sort of commitment on things like that just yet.

If you have any suggestions for features that don't involve "ditch it", post them and if it's sensible enough and not overly complicated, it may just get a look in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just hope the Rising Storm team learnt from TWI's mistakes and won't be adding the whole unlocks / prototype weapons BS, because that gave way to so many problems and complaints. It would make development a lot easier too. Just make RS historically accurate and authentic and it will have much more staying power. If I see everyone running around with fantasy weapons, I doubt I'll be playing it a lot.

Reactions: smokeythebear
Upvote 0
Because Rising Storm has been billed from inception as having the features of RO2. If we didn't do as we said at the outset, can you imagine the whinefest that would follow?

If you're still not happy then, whine away, knock yourselves out.

"We cant change anything because people will whine, if you don't like RO2s features go ahead and whine because we will ignore you"

I really hate this recent attitude of TW where they insist that the vocal minority is unsatisfied with the game while the silent majority loves it. Yet so few people are now actually playing the game. It's a shame to see the same attitude rubbed off on the RS team.

Upvote 0
There is a huge distinction between axing features and altering them.

No 'attitude' has rubbed off onto the RS team from the TW team; whatever that may be taken to signify. There are similarities, of course; both teams are making a game; both teams, it appears, have to deal with complaints about HoS.

I think what most of the people who have chosen to ignore my request to keep their HoS-related gripes off the RS forums want is for us to say something along the lines of..

"Yes, we agree with you, you're totally right - feature x, y or z of HoS, which you are so butthurt about, truly does suck balls, WTF were TWI thinking? Don't worry, we will never do anything as downright dumb as that."

Of course, even if we actually did think that (and I am not even implying for one second that I or any other team-members do), despite being supremely ungrateful, it would be crapping on our own doorstep to such an extent that we would need a shovel to go out... and TWI would, quite rightly, withdraw any support from us for such a supreme act of disloyalty.

So kindly wait until we announce features before criticising them. I have said before that I intend to react severely to people who bring their moans about HoS here and I surely will do so, because ATM this pointless rage-fuelled speculation is 'rubbing off' on me and making the red mists descend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're not the only one. I'm getting sick of the perpetually unhappy on these forums turning anything they can into a whine about RO2. So on behalf of the RS team I will say GTFO already, or haunt the mod thread of your choice, but quit disrespecting the devs here by ignoring them when they ask you NOT TO ***** ABOUT YOUR RO2 DISLIKES HERE.

If you have any suggestions for features that don't involve "ditch it", post them and if it's sensible enough and not overly complicated, it may just get a look in.
If you can't manage this, you don't need to be posting. Your $40 isn't that sacred.

Upvote 0
I think what most of the people who have chosen to ignore my request to keep their HoS-related gripes off the RS forums want is for us to say something along the lines of..

"Yes, we agree with you, you're totally right - feature x, y or z of HoS, which you are so butthurt about, truly does suck balls, WTF were TWI thinking? Don't worry, we will never do anything as downright dumb as that."

I don't think anyone was being that negative or that crude (besides myself ). If you are obligated to use HoS gameplay and design as a base why is it so wrong to discuss it? I don't care how the team feels personally about it's features I am just a selfish person who wants you to make a game I would enjoy playing.

My only suggestion is to choose your audience without trying to spread yourselves too thin.

Upvote 0