• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism or Not: SMG

I think it's perfectly fine, bolt-action rifles have never been the best weapon or the most effective weapon but that's what makes them so fun and rewarding to use. Personally I don't even really enjoy playing on the FallenFighters map, I just don't like how it plays out but I love running around Apartments with my trusty rifle in hand, even at close quarters it is just so satisfying to get that kill (especially through a wall).

I hope they don't change how any of the guns work, I think the gunplay is the best part of the game currently.

Upvote 0
Do you know what that means? It seems like you're going against what he's saying. An effective range of 100m means it's very likely to miss anything beyond that.

Yes and in the game it is.

Maximum average range for Apartments is 50m, which is where the MP-40 is devastating. If you try to engage 150-200m targets on Fallen Heroes with SMGs you won't hit crap. A 200m target is from one side of the Square to the other.

Upvote 0
Fallen does seem a much more balanced map than Apartments, it takes some real patience to advance on the enemy. However, i didn't try to shoot anyone from long range so I wonder just how ineffective is the SMG at range compared to rifle. Ideally, both realistically and gameplay-wise the SMG would have a much lower velocity to it's shot making it harder to land shots at range

I think a lot of people's perceptions of the game are coming from the two drastically different kind of maps they're dealing with. FallenFighters reminds me A LOT of my first RO1 game. Sitting on my stomach or in cover, peeking out, not seeing anything for 2 to 3 minutes, then getting sniped. At 1280x1024, FoV 80, I'm not seeing SQUAT across the middle. And half of the people I do see are friendlies (probably? brown looks like grey at that range.)

Apartments, everyone is in range. Every. One. It may be really fast paced, but at least I don't get bored having to choose between staying safe, and running out and getting cut down.

So I dunno. Maybe with the full selection of maps people will find ones that blend a little better all the different play styles and weapons. Apartments and FF are basically polar opposites, and I can appreciate why RO1 vets playing it might not be enjoying themselves.

Upvote 0
my problem is the not enaught bulletpenetration for full size catige (eg rifle ammo). a 7,92 bullet can easily penetrate trugh 30cm of wood at 100 m and 15 cm of brick but in this game i feel you cannot shoot trugh 2 cm of wood.. maybe it is a bug but i usually fire people at propaganda house trugh wood but it has got no effect. and btw if smg kill whit 2 shot than rifle should hit whit 1 shot if hit everywhere while the 7.62*25mm Tokarev has got 750 Jule of energy at 0m the 7.92*57 has got 4096 Jule of energy at 0m and even at araund 1000m has got 970 Jule so the rifle rounds are underpowered also the mg bullets

Upvote 0
and btw if smg kill whit 2 shot than rifle should hit whit 1 shot if hit everywhere

Uh, Rifles do "kill" with 1 shot to any part of the torso and some parts of the limbs.

There is a chance to cause "slow death" if you don't hit the heart, head, or groinn instead of outright kills, but it's fairly rare (probably ~5% chance.) In any case 95% of the time 1 bullet to the body is enough and the other 5% will mean he'll just bleed to death instead.

Upvote 0
Play TE_FallenFighters alot and you will see the real strong points of RO. Combined Arms maps. While Rifles control the long range open ground the house to house combat is the job for SMG

No, we have not yet seen a combined arms map in this beta. Combined arms would include armour (tanks), infantry and airstrikes. Hopefully this would be on a large, RO style map that took at least 30 mins to determine who might win, nevermind the 45 to 60 mins that frequently showed up on maps like Berezina.

Upvote 0
No, we have not yet seen a combined arms map in this beta. Combined arms would include armour (tanks), infantry and airstrikes. Hopefully this would be on a large, RO style map that took at least 30 mins to determine who might win, nevermind the 45 to 60 mins that frequently showed up on maps like Berezina.

Uh, Territory Fallen Heroes is a combined arms map.

There are tanks and artillery and infantry.

You need to have a certain amount of players in the server to have Tanks and AT Infantry available.

Upvote 0
Do you know what that means? It seems like you're going against what he's saying. An effective range of 100m means it's very likely to miss anything beyond that.

No, it doesn't mean that. It means for a POINT target he would be pretty deadly up to 100m. I just figured I didn't need to mention it's 200m AREA target range.

- Paas

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Uh, Territory Fallen Heroes is a combined arms map.

There are tanks and artillery and infantry.

You need to have a certain amount of players in the server to have Tanks and AT Infantry available.

No, as RO goes, that is still not a combined arms map. Have you played and experienced the truly combined arms epic maps of RO1? If so, you wouldn't even be commenting on this in regards to these teeny tiny maps included in the beta.

Reactions: Sir Roderick
Upvote 0
No, as RO goes, that is still not a combined arms map. Have you played and experienced the truly combined arms epic maps of RO1? If so, you wouldn't even be commenting on this in regards to these teeny tiny maps included in the beta.

Ranges don't affect the combat designation. It's still combined Arms. I will agree that it doesn't hold much of a candle to some of RO1's maps. Give it a little break though, it is JUST a plaza.

- Paas

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
Yes and in the game it is.

Maximum average range for Apartments is 50m, which is where the MP-40 is devastating. If you try to engage 150-200m targets on Fallen Heroes with SMGs you won't hit crap. A 200m target is from one side of the Square to the other.

I have managed 200m kills with both an SMG and a semi-auto rifle... Not to disprove your point, but in desperate situations, you might get lucky... :D

Upvote 0
Uh, Rifles do "kill" with 1 shot to any part of the torso and some parts of the limbs.

There is a chance to cause "slow death" if you don't hit the heart, head, or groinn instead of outright kills, but it's fairly rare (probably ~5% chance.) In any case 95% of the time 1 bullet to the body is enough and the other 5% will mean he'll just bleed to death instead.

rifle bullets doesent need to hit areas perfectly. In most of the army's of the world when they planning a bullet they calculate out the moment of inertia of the bullet, eg higer moment of inertia means higer leathelness but less penetration. just for example if a bullet just fly trugh the body of the human that dont cost more damage then the diameter of the bullet, (a lung shot is not immidietly lethal also a shot in the belly, lehtal shot are the head, heart, venes, liver if you hit enything else that dont mean instant death) so it dont take relative soo much damage because the bullet dont give down all of it's energy to the body but the bullet what has got huge moment of inertia will give down more energy what couse more trauma. Just for practical thinking a 7.62 tokarev has got less momentum of inertia than a 9mm luger (smaller diameter, faster, lighter) so the tokarev bullet will have higher bullet penetration capibilyti while the luger has got more stopping power (so 9mm is better against humans)[the best agaist humans is 45 APC]. This is stands for higer bullets so a 7,92*57 is lethaler than a 7,62*54 but the mauser loses more enery at more distance than the mosin (bwt the 7,92*57 bullet has got the best ballistic coafitien in ww2 and also the most precize bullet of ww2 [use wiki]. The standard rifle bullet is soo powerfull even it is just near bones when it hits the shock to do body is soo huge it can break bones. another thing what is not calculated here is the hidrostatic shoc. The hidrostatic happens when the bullet hits water, because the water is uncompressable it will try to get free, just watch how a barrel what is filled whit water explode whent it hit this thing also works whit the human body but becase the human body dont include lots of pure waret the effect is small but also can be lethal (blood pressure incresee). So i say if they hit you whit ppsh that should get you in slow mode death (except lethal hits)

Upvote 0
Just from a logical standpoint as I'm definitely not a skilled enough player to comment fully on the metagame, but where exactly does the SMG fall short compared to the standard rifle. Surely the ability to shoot through some extra materials doesn't make up for the infinitely superior refire/magazine size of the SMG. While this is a beta it's clear in every server, Assault players end up 5-10x higher on the scoreboard than riflemen. The way I see it either gun hits it's target and doesn't deviate, either gun kills in one shot, but the SMG can put out such a huge volume of bullets in comparison. It isn't punished by missed shots where as missing a shot with rifle can mark your grave more often that not, it can engage multiple enemies while the rifle cannot, it is effective on the move while rifle isn't. Just a few points as I'd be happy to hear that I'm missing something but I just don't see it. Also, where does elite rifleman fall short in comparison or are they just intended to be superior for the lucky few?

I agree with you.

While the rifle has some advantages, in almost every situation I have seen, the SMG does the same job as the rifle. It's less accurate, but the rate of fire makes up for this.

Less bullet penetration, sure, but the only thing smg's don;t penetrate are some walls, but these are mainly the 'thickest' walls in the game, which a rifle can't penetrate reliably either. The rest of the barriers will slow a smg bullet down, but there's so many of them that that doesn't matter.

As I said, the rifle has advantages in some rare situations, but those situations don't come up very often.

Smg's need to get nerfed, somehow.

Or maybe this ties in into the whole 'lack of weapon sway' and the 'fast ironsight' thing, even when having low stamina. Al this favours the SMG and the style of SMG play as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*headdesk*

You guys, this has been said a hundred dozen times already. The maps we have in the beta are among the smallest, most CQC maps in the game. Of COURSE the SMG is going to rape on these maps. This is EXACTLY the kind of terrain it was designed for.

Play on Fallen Heroes and tell me the SMG is overpowered. The almighty bolt manages to kill my SMG-toting *** 9/10 in open combat. Room to room, I manage to beat the almighty bolt 9/10.

The world is as it should be.

Upvote 0
You know what guys? I've been playing RO and DH for quite some time. And all I can tell you is - SMGs are MUCH better in DH than in RO (much more accurate in long range, more accurate when hip-shooting, easier to control), probably comparable to those in RO2, yet their effectiveness is not much higher than in RO. Why is it so? Because in DH there are always different approaches, open areas and... BIG MAPS. Basically good map allows everyone to shine. Riflemen get a chance to fire at longer range, smgs get some cover to get up close (of course they are risking getting shot while moving from cover to cover) and there are buildings to clear. In effect everyone can get lots of kills just by playing their role. And its not like "left side - SMG, right side - rifles" - the same approach to the objective gives both riflemen and SMGs a chance to use their weapons in effective way, cause open areas and cover and buildings are all mixed up. Danzig (apartments) is a purely close combat map, which doesn't really allow much long range shooting. Fallen Heroes is just a bad map IMO (people in RO never really seemed to love it), it allows rifle guys to shoot a bit, and screw the smg crowd up. I really don't like either of them. Lets wait for good, big maps - they should balance things out. Hell, even Stalingrad Kessel was MUCH better than what we see right now.

Upvote 0