• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

radeon hd4250 onboard video?

ForgottenHero

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
im looking at ecollegepc for something cheap to play heroes of stalingrad. i see some motherboards have some nice sounding onboard video like radeon hd4250.

***NOTE***

i don't care about graphics that much as long as the game runs above 35 - 40 fps. i'll go 1024 or even 800 res.

anyone want to guess if the 4250 would handle heroes of stalingrad at my low standards?

im looking at ecollegepc for something cheap to play heroes of stalingrad. i see some motherboards have some nice sounding onboard video like radeon hd4250.

***NOTE***

i don't care about graphics that much as long as the game runs above 35 - 40 fps. i'll go 1024 or even 800 res.

anyone want to guess if the 4250 would handle heroes of stalingrad at my low standards?

If you interested in upgrading PM me,I just upgraded my PC and selling my AMD x4 965 and ATI 5770,both for $200.

Upvote 0
Integrated graphics is never a good choice for games. If you get a motherboard with this feature at least make sure you can upgrade with decent graphics card later on (PCI Express slot). I don't have the latest and greatest but I'm fairly confident I can run HOS on high settings with this setup.

Intel core 2 duo E6850 @ 3.0GHZ
Radeon 5750 1GB DDR5
4GB PC 6400 DDR2 ram
1TB 7200 RPM HD

Upvote 0
the board has a PCI Express 2.0 x16, PCI Express x1. thats good enough for a newer video card later on? and how would the board know to use the card and not the integrated graphics?

anyway this is the pc from ecollege with a cheap card, 2 more gigs of ram(4 total) and 500w power supply added for $400 shipped:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz 2MB Cache FSB 4000MHz HT
AMD Heatsink and Fan Included
MSI 880GM-E41 (Radeon HD4250 Video, HDMI, 6xSATA2, 4xDDR3)
4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300 (Major Brand)
22X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
1GB ATI Radeon HD5450 GDDR3 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Foxconn Black 436MX (2 5.25, 6 3.5) Fan, Front Audio/USB
550watt Stock Supply
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
3 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty

would that do a good frame rate at 1024 res?

my budget was $300 to play a game. im not 100% about spending this much. im weighing the pros and cons of heroes and a brand new checker board set. who sells a cheap priced but decent quality checker board set? do online sites beat stores like wal mart?

even better savings would be more info on the xbox 360 version and i would spend $0 on hardware.

Upvote 0
the board has a PCI Express 2.0 x16, PCI Express x1. thats good enough for a newer video card later on? and how would the board know to use the card and not the integrated graphics?

The graphic card should be plug and play. If not you could always disable the integrated graphics in bios.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858R

Almost the same card I bought at a great price. I bought mine as open box and got a decent card for an awesome deal.

Upvote 0
Mate with your 300 bucks you are pretty much on the edge if not possibly even already 2m down. If you want something decent that might get you through the next 1-2 years double the amount or at least increase it since otherwise you might feel like your money was badly spent.
If you or a buddy of yours knows how or dares to build a PC themselves try that road. You often get the parts cheaper and assembling it also saves you still a couple of bucks. If you do not know what parts or so to use check online guides concerning the matter or consult with other people.
Also magazines often have recommendations concerning selfbuilt pcs and often also building guides. (If you re interested I can send you a link or two) Although the ones I know start from off 500$ usually...

Upvote 0
Well, just for kicks I decided to try and build a solid computer with your budget in mind on Newegg. for $430 (including a $30 Mail in Rebate) this is what I got:

AMD Phenom II x4 920 - $110
MSI GTX 460 768mb -$120 (+30 MIR)
Rosewill R-102-P-BK mid tower case - $29
Sunbeam-BKS 480w PSU - $16
Asus DVD/CD write drive (generic) - $21
Seagate 500gb HD (recertified) -$29
Gigabyte AM3 motherboard -$50
A-Data 2x2gb 1333 mhz ddr3 - $40

Total comes to ~$415 + $16 shipping

Note: I decided not to skimp on the processor and graphics card, as these are the main two components for any PC game. I would be very pleased with this build (it's basically what I've got, except the processor is better than my AMD x720 and the graphics card is MUCH better than my 4670. If this is too much you can of course easily swap out the graphics card/processor and save $60 on each to downgrade it to a 250 athlon II and a 5450, but honestly I think you'll want a little more juice than the 5450 in order to play HoS properly (I'm probably going to upgrade my 4670 around HOS time as I want to enjoy all the goodies that Tripwire has coming our way.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Upvote 0
That not a bad spec, although I would seriously consider getting a better PSU - those new nvidea cards are very power hungry and the PSU is after all the most critical component in any build. Also a new operating system may be required and that can easily bump up the price.

Granted, a reasonable gaming PC is easily buildable on a limited budget.

Upvote 0
I doubt integrated will work well at all. It will probably load, but I doubt performance will be that good. What is your CPU and RAM?

Well, just for kicks I decided to try and build a solid computer with your budget in mind on Newegg. for $430 (including a $30 Mail in Rebate) this is what I got:

AMD Phenom II x4 920 - $110
MSI GTX 460 768mb -$120 (+30 MIR)
Rosewill R-102-P-BK mid tower case - $29
Sunbeam-BKS 480w PSU - $16
Asus DVD/CD write drive (generic) - $21
Seagate 500gb HD (recertified) -$29
Gigabyte AM3 motherboard -$50
A-Data 2x2gb 1333 mhz ddr3 - $40

Total comes to ~$415 + $16 shipping

Get a good PSU - Antec something. Don't skimp on the PSU. Don't bother with a recertified hard drive either. Get a reliable hard drive. Then go for space. Speed is last - hard drive speed does not vary much anyways.

Might want to make sure the case is decent (I didn't check this model). A lot of the cheap cases have poor airflow and not a whole lot of room. This can be an issue for cards bigger than an 8800.

Also research your motherboard. Make sure the SATA cables are not covered by the video card. A lot of the cheap motherboards have this issue. This often means you will have to buy a PCI card for $40 or so that adds more SATA cables.

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
I made this computer build to prove a point to console gamers about how cheap getting into PC gaming can be. Note that this is in Australian Dollars, and we get shafted on prices here, so Americans and stuff should be able to get this stuff for a lot cheaper. This build will run any current-release games on high or medium quality settings. Not many games rely on the CPU, so the system kind of cheaps out on it. If you can spend a bit more, add more RAM if you're running a 64-bit OS, and upgrade the CPU to at least an i5.

cheapgamingpc.jpg

Upvote 0
@Flogger23m: I'm not building this computer, as I already have one (which happens to be similar, if somewhat worse: ATI 4670 and AMD x720). This is completely a ballpark estimate build after 30 minutes on Newegg, while trying to keep a budget in mind.

As for a PSU, I completely agree, and I would probably opt for a better one. I was doing this quickly and saw a basic one with good reviews on newegg, which worked for the budget I was going for. After putting a little more time in, I would definitely go for a more reliable brand, for example you could get a Raidmax 530w for $40 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028).

As for re-certified items, I personally recommend them wholeheartedly (but that's just me :)!) if you're trying to skimp on costs, but only for Hard Drives. The next cheapest would be a 160gb HD for $45, compared to the re-certified 500gb for $29.

Again, this is just a rough build aimed at giving the OP more ideas for what he could expect with this kind of budget. I just want to help him get ROHOS ready!

Upvote 0