• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Rabbit ears" - trench periscope - binoculars

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
"Rabbit ears" - trench periscope - binoculars

You know that binoculars-periscope for field use. If you deploy them they look like big V or "rabbit ears". It should be in game. They allow players:

1. checking of battlefield in front of you for all
2. making of safe position for overlooking, in general they are in trenches, only top of scope is visible to enemy.
3. larger scale and details of view

They should be movable, also usable in stalingrad houses or open terrain to identify hidden enemy positions.

What you think.

Reactions: Roland777
Well in terms of difficulty:
1. No hard programing
2. just new simple model

It should be very good for artillery guns, snipers, machinegunners, squad leaders or other units which want to identify enemy position or movement from safe place.

Yes you cant use them to kill something, its only for viewing. But I dont think that gameplay is only about killing, if you want to kill more its better to know about enemy by my idea.

If we scale problem to add it to game and benefits from it, I think its usable, its not something revolutionary but it improve espionage level of game well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland777
Upvote 0
Peter, you really gotta think before you post. You seem to spam this board with useless suggestions.

If everyone of your suggestions are taken we would have a cross between max payne, ro and ww1.

Now, back to this suggestion. How would they be implimented in urban warfare IN GAME (you need to stop confusing real life with a game). These types of binos were traditionaly used in trech warfare, not looking out window frames. To use you would need to have your face on the near the floor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now, back to this suggestion. How would they be implimented in urban warfare IN GAME (you need to stop confusing real life with a game). These types of binos were traditionaly used in trech warfare, not looking out window frames. To use you would need to have your face on the near the floor.

I dont have table of possible use, I saw it in documents, mainly in trenches or in front of cities or well defended positions.

But I think that it could be also used in big squares (like fallen heroes, dom pavlova map), parks of stalingrad, there should be trenches or ruined walls to hide one.

Upvote 0
I dont have table of possible use, I saw it in documents, mainly in trenches or in front of cities or well defended positions.

But I think that it could be also used in big squares (like fallen heroes, dom pavlova map), parks of stalingrad, there should be trenches or ruined walls to hide one.

The thing that I hope you realise sooner rather than later would be that HoS will be a game. The game engine is limited in both actions avaliable, control and realism. Suggestions seem to be based on whatever you deem to take your fancy in a book, movie or your mind, without any thought for in game application.

I can only urge you to start having a serious think about what you post before you hit the start new thread button. Take Zets and oshannons threads recently. Well thought out, with supporting evidence showing this could be implemented correctly with regards the game play, engine limitations and overall feel of the game.

Of course suggestions are awesome, but simply posting about something you seen on the tv is really filling up these forums with mince (your not the only one).

So, good suggestions most welcome im sure by everyone including the devs, but (and i cant speak for everyone) I would appreciate a little more thinking of suggestions to show how they could implemented in game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing that I hope you realise sooner rather than later would be that HoS will be a game. The game engine is limited in both actions avaliable, control and realism. Suggestions seem to be based on whatever you deem to take your fancy in a book, movie or your mind, without any thought for in game application.

I can only urge you to start having a serious think about what you post before you hit the start new thread button. Take Zets and oshannons threads recently. Well thought out, with supporting evidence showing this could be implemented correctly with regards the game play, engine limitations and overall feel of the game.

Of course suggestions are awesome, but simply posting about something you seen on the tv is really filling up these forums with mince (your not the only one).

So, good suggestions most welcome im sure by everyone including the devs, but (and i cant speak for everyone) I would appreciate a little more thinking of suggestions to show how they could implemented in game.

I posted it because I like machinegunner and and his binoculars. You can reveal by them many hidden targets and than you can burst that place by some bullets (MG 34 shot by shot). So I think that it should be good for rest of your team to give them something like binoculars too.

Upvote 0
We are not the devs, so we do not know what is possible and what is not.

The periscope in my opinion seems like a good idea for trench maps. There is a map for RO 3.3 called Smolensk where you have to fight in the trenches. Adding a stationary Periscope that anyone can walk up to and use would be alright.

Upvote 0
I posted it because I like machinegunner and and his binoculars. You can reveal by them many hidden targets and than you can burst that place by some bullets (MG 34 shot by shot). So I think that it should be good for rest of your team to give them something like binoculars too.

I know thats why you posted but you need to think how this could be implimented.

If you give to squad leader for example (instead of normal binos) . . what do u do to call in arty when at a window? do u crawl on the floor? lean?

Is the vision impared when looking through the mirror system? would the game view need to me modified to reflect this?

If you carry these, they take up room, would the holder get less kit??

I can go on with questions but I hope these illustrate the point im trying to make.

SUGGESTION - PURPOSE - IMPLEMENTATION - GAME DYNAMICS

until you answer these, your suggestions are nothing but brain farts.

Upvote 0
I know thats why you posted but you need to think how this could be implimented.

If you give to squad leader for example (instead of normal binos) . . what do u do to call in arty when at a window? do u crawl on the floor? lean?

Is the vision impared when looking through the mirror system? would the game view need to me modified to reflect this?

If you carry these, they take up room, would the holder get less kit??

I can go on with questions but I hope these illustrate the point im trying to make.

SUGGESTION - PURPOSE - IMPLEMENTATION - GAME DYNAMICS

until you answer these, your suggestions are nothing but brain farts.

I described idea and some hints about it. Not all should be accepted I am also little skeptic about moving that binoculars, but I posted it for one reason: "what people say?". Same as using in urban warfare, I expected again: "What people think about it?"

But it seems that it could be good only in trench maps. Who knows? This topic is still fresh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0