• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question about Brithness.

1conu59

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Lille
gfa.xooit.fr
Reactions: Chopy
You might want to play around with the "gamma" in the graphics option menu. I have set my gamma bar pretty high because my TV is standing a bit far away from me and is generally showing a pretty dark picture.

I played around with the gamma settings quite some time because I was wondering that on maps like Red October Factory, I get sniped out of windows from very far while I can hardly see anybody inside the windows from approx. 70 meters distance.

Plus: many players play with minimized graphic settings in order to get rid of the distractions (the eye candy). That behaviour is the most pathetic in my eyes. Why would I buy a top notch computer system if not for the best graphics possible?

Upvote 0
I never got that video card I was thinking of getting a few months back, so I'm stuck with my GeForce 210...... which means my graphics settings are not reduced to get an advantage.... they're reduced so I can actually play.

But I don't think my settings give me any real advantage:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578960836743758059/38833FC9A05054842B903443270200AB659E017E/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578960214213260290/43E73A285F140CB711AA54718A377E533858CF7A/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578960214213251166/6055D3EDD31928AE202D9EE80D03E8DFCFFBCCFD/

As for the image supplied in the OP, all I see is an increase in Gamma in "Enhanced" mode.... nothing wrong there since every game has Gamma settings that can be adjusted.

In regards to uniforms standing out more, early on in RO2, you could play around with the bloom and shadow settings to basically make the Russians glow, but last I heard, that was fixed months ago. You could be viewing old images/videos that no longer apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopy
Upvote 0
captain, you really need to up the brighness or the gamma!

Why?

I can see people just fine at any distance, day or night, inside or outside, in windows or out in the open.... Russians and Germans stand out perfectly fine as they are & feel I'm at no disadvantage with this display setting.

Muzzle flashes are easy to spot.... no complaints here. :cool:

It could be that my images are displaying differently to you based on your monitor settings compared to my monitor, making it look darker to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never got that video card I was thinking of getting a few months back, so I'm stuck with my GeForce 210...... which means my graphics settings are not reduced to get an advantage.... they're reduced so I can actually play.

But I don't think my settings give me any real advantage:

Oh yes, you are getting a huge advantage through this, if you want it or not. Less details means less distractions. The best example would be Spartanovka: If you don't have the grass on max details, while I do have it, you can see me laying at the German spawn just good. While out of my perspective, you shouldn't be able to see me because the grass around me should be hiding me...

Upvote 0
Oh yes, you are getting a huge advantage through this, if you want it or not. Less details means less distractions. The best example would be Spartanovka: If you don't have the grass on max details, while I do have it, you can see me laying at the German spawn just good. While out of my perspective, you shouldn't be able to see me because the grass around me should be hiding me...

I currently only have two screenshots relating to Spartanovka:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/649871280385546184/3718F70CA642969C6EF33A6DD0E62FD8BD2B9C69/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/649871280385543860/02578F47F1F4AA99B46CD9B8B2DFF5949A709A73/

^ Though these were taken prior to my above screenshot settings, so they may not represent what I currently see

These two screenshots are a lot more blurry/fuzzy than my current settings and had many things dropped off so I could get 14 fps prior to the last patch. The screenshots in my previous post were taken post patch when my FPS increased up to 25 or so in most areas, which allowed me to bump things up.

But on Spartanovka, I almost always play German anyways, so you don't have much to worry about ;)

Most of my video settings are set to either High or Ultra.... I also have light shafts on & bloom on. The only thing I really reduced was my resolution. Can't remember any of the other settings right now. If I saw a screenshot of the video settings window, I could tell you exactly what I have set.

But me having less detail on screen isn't much of an advantage when you think about the fact that I'm usually playing with 15-24 fps against others who have 60 fps & larger resolutions to see more of the map at once. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, I am in the office and my steam account only has 10 screenshots, none of Spartanovka. Have them locally stored on my gaming PC at home.

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983230718/screenshots/[/URL]

But seeing your Spartanovka screenshots, especially the 2nd one with the Mkb, I can already tell you that it's completely different from what I see.

Pavlov's house is also a good example for where you have huge disadvantages playing on high. Anywhere, where there is rubble, it's super tough to see russians as they "become one" with the debris.

Playing on 1920x1080 everything on maxed out except shadows. There seems to be 0 difference between the shadow settings. At least I can't figure out...

Upvote 0
I play on all low because otherwise I get low fps.

Indeed.... If there was something done in the future to force everybody to have a set limited amount of graphics to produce a "Fair" game for those feeling they're at an disadvantage.... a problem will occur where many players who's video cards originally met the minimum requirements (or slightly above like mine) won't be able to play and thus, reduce the already small player count for the game.

In regards to Sensemann's comment on grass.... I'm more than sure my system can handle the additional grass textures, etc. without losing FPS.... but the tweak would have to be very careful not to render my and other's games useless.

I dunno if there's a config setting I can tweak to adjust those elements on the maps without ending up bumping something else up that would cripple my gameplay.

By the way.... what my Pavlov's House looks like:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578960836743767782/5DDBBB993C620FEFB4A3EC607EF6A7C6D9A4FC72/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578960836743761782/B1A3D9EA2C48048D103C39B49C38588E8CD202D4/

^ Though those are the only two recent shots I have since the patch, so no close up shots of ground level.

Upvote 0
Eh, Trotskygrad and Praxius, I hope you do realize that I am neither trying to critcize you guys playing on lower resolutions/graphic settings, nor promoting to force higher graphic settings that would keep players with lower settings out of the game. That's what I somehow read in between your comments...

In fact, I really just wanted to describe that it's often NOT an advantage to have higher settings running. I know many RO and RO 2 players that have super good systems deliberately lowering down graphic settings in order to "only see the important stuff on the battlefield". This, in my eyes, is pathetic, considering that those same guys pay a huge amount of money for their hardware while not using it.

If a guy with graphic settings on 800x600 on low and 15 fps kills me it's the same result as a guy with everything maxed out.

People that tweak inis or exaggerate gamma and brightness settings to make a night map becoming day, those are the ones that I don't really like.

Believe me, for a long time, I was playing RO mod and RO 1 on a very poor laptop, happily achieving 20-25 fps on everything low. I know that there is no huge advantage as long as you don't target to become this 1-2% better...

Upvote 0
Eh, Trotskygrad and Praxius, I hope you do realize that I am neither trying to critcize you guys playing on lower resolutions/graphic settings, nor promoting to force higher graphic settings that would keep players with lower settings out of the game. That's what I somehow read in between your comments...

Well no, I knew you weren't exactly heading in that direction with your comments, but figured I'd address that possible aspect of this conversation before it appeared by other posters. ;)

Upvote 0
I also play on low-medium settings on account of crappy hardware, so no grass for me either. I personally find the connection between grass and graphics settings in an fps to be an extremely poor choice, since it obviously can't be used for cover or sneaking in anymore and that loses a lot on the gameplay side especially for the big outdoors maps. Grass should be the same for everyone, and if someones hardware can't handle it, well then they shouldn't play the game until they have upgraded.

I also always set my gamma to 2.5 when first starting the game, since the default is way too dark for my taste.

Upvote 0
I also always set my gamma to 2.5 when first starting the game, since the default is way too dark for my taste.

Please don't forget that the gamma values are very variable, depending on your monitor.
I am playing on a 50' TV for example and my gamma setting is far higher than 2.5. If I remember correctly sth like 3.4. When I played on my 17' PC screen, my gammar was set to 2.1. Just to achieve about the same graphic picture. With brightness, the differences between monitors are even more radical.

I remember that I had a monitor about 5 years back, where Medieval 2 was pitch black with the saved settings. First I thought I bought a broken screen :eek:

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0