• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Solution] Punkbuster causes Freeze .

This could be because a number of reasons. PB tends to give bluescreens and hard freezes when u have hardware monitor software like MSI afterburner running, it will lock up with Realtek onboard cards, ... There are a couple more which I experienced myself but can't quite remember at the moment.

It's a crappy anti cheat, or atleast it became this way. I don't remember having these kinds of issues with the first COD's or RTCW

This is because PB is now far more intrusive, and it will get more so over time. As PB gets more and more invasive then you will find more and more programs will cause problems. Obviously EvenBalance have to continue to make PB more intrusive or it will become useless, but this will bring these types of issues. At the end of the day it is the hack users that are creating this problem, EvenBalance are doing the only thing they can do to stop them

Upvote 0
I know this thread is really old but i have the same problem as original poster, everytime im trying to play on servers with punkbuster, the game freezes and every time i have to restart my pc.
I bought this game two months ago and i really like it but i wish i could play on more then one server, since only few have punkbuster disabled and only one of them low enough ping and people playing on it.

I tried updating pb, but it still happens, am i doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
Just a suggestion but really not sure it will fix you problem :

If you have an onboard Realtek chipset for sound , try to update it with the latest drivers available, realtek and punkbuster often cause what you describe there, a little google search with terms " realtek punkbuster " will maybe find you some tips or solutions, at least it will bring you many other similar problems with PB and various games, some fixed the problem by adding a dedicated small soundcard, also you can try to disable in windows device manager the sound chipset for testing purpose, not just putting windows sound to level zero, but disabling it completely, or directly disable it in the BIOS if you are comfortable with such things, then try to play a bit without sound and see if the crashes still happen to confirm the probable Realtek issue.

That's all i can think about for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This problem persists for me after reinstalling PB, and has kept me from playing more than a dozen hours over the last few months.

This is easily the most sorely disappointing aspect of RO2 for me.

From launch day I have had PB problems , sometimes I fix it , other times it seems I go through a series of trial and error until I can run the game. This is, as the OP above me has said , I huge disappointment when playing this game. The problem is NOT new , its on going and for someone like me and many other who just want a quick fix of RO for a couple of hours , we need to start from scratch again to fix an old problem!!!!

Upvote 0
My game always crashes and requires a hard reset as it stops my PC from doing anything, the problem is on Windows 8 it automatically restarts the PC and then does an automatic repair which resets the PC to the last saved point.

I have onboard sound but it is disabled in playback devices and I'm using an Asus D2X instead so it isn't the audio side of things.

Upvote 0
Allright, i need to take that back, there is still the same problem. I havent been playing much on servers with pb especially, but today 40-1 server admin for some reason decided to turn pb on his servers and it turns out this still exists.
contact that admin and let him know you have a problem. it's not thier fault that things get turned on that they set off, after s server update.
you NEED to make them aware, that there is a change, that they missed, so they can rest the server.
this is just my opinion.

Upvote 0