• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Solution] Punkbuster causes Freeze .

I am still having a Punkbuster issue with latest patch.
Joining PB enabled server = Crash. VAC Server= No Issue.
Beta was working fine with PB enabled server.

Even Balance advised me to install PBSetup and update the Punkbuster. I did as instructed but with no success. I am requesting Even Balance to check and see if there is any differences between Punkbsuter installed in the Non-Beta and Beta version.

Upvote 0
Always had this problem on any game using PB when I ran my Realtek onboard sound. If you have Realtek onboard sound, play on a server without PB enabled, or disable sound in device manager/bios.

If you can play normally, better get a new sound card or system cause this has been going on for YEARS and PB will do absolutely nothing about it, other than blame it on everyone else.

I was pretty sad when I heard RO2 was getting PB, yes I am against hackers, but this piece of software should have been retired prior to 2000. The smart thing for sever admins to do, would be to disable PB. Then get TWI to get on the demo recording (get it working) for submitting to server admins to ban hackers.

I have said it repeatedly. The use of PB is a poor choice. It fails to maintain a balance between catching/preventing/banning hackers and server/client performance and efficiency with little to no human intervention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the same problems, but I don`t think that is the punkbuster. Because I have the same crashes in another games (Alien vs Predator, Killing Floor, Homefront etc).

And also in Valve games (CS, DOD, TF2 etc). In Source games you just need to disable multicore rendering and this helps. In RO2 I can`t find this option and still have freezes.

PS: I have this freezes when I play in singleplay...:mad:

Upvote 0
I will try this now:

A extern Soundcard for my Notebook.

41x%2BGZuHiVL._SL210_.jpg

If it doesn

Upvote 0
bump!

i tried all, and still crashing. (reintsalling drivers, deleting drivers, reinstaling Pb, manual update, reinstalling steam and RO2...)

impossible to play.

pls any fix? the only anwser is play with no sound... and im not sure about it

Uninstall the sound driver/software, reboot and let Windows install a generic driver.

I tried this yesterday and half an hour I played well. still too early to know whether it will work.

I play again today and see if still works

Upvote 0
I can confirm, for me at least, that it is realtek and punkbuster conflict.

This doesn't mean I don't hold tripwire accountable as pointed out, BC2 had the same problem and it was fixed.

I bought a sound card and the issue disappeared. Unluckily my sound card's channels were messed up so I had to send it back. BF3 out in a few days so I guess I'll just give up on RO2 :(

Upvote 0
I sent the ticket to EvenBalance to fix the problem but no use.
Their suggestion of installing PBsetup did not to fix the problem.
Still crash with PB enabled server only.
So I guess its up to TWI to fix the problem.

I really enjoy the game playing at VAC only server with no issue.
I would sugget that half of TWI's official should be VAC only server while the PB problem is sorted out.

Player playing BF3 next week, please let us know if you are experiencing PB issue or not.

Upvote 0