• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PSA: Before you complain that X is worthless...

CrashFu

Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2014
Ohio
This has been a persistent problem, both here in the official forums and in the steam discussions, where unskilled players will compensate for their deficiencies by whining that everything they don't understand is "worthless".

No matter how many times more knowledgeable players attempt to educate them, they just respond with "no YOU don't know how to play!", and continue making new complaint threads, derailing unrelated threads, and starting flamewars. This is interfering with CONSTRUCTIVE discussion and giving the developers too much garbage to wade through when what they need is educated feedback.

Besides, you're just humiliating yourselves. If you think a particular perk, weapon, skill, or strategy is "completely worthless" and even ONE other person says they've enjoyed great success with it by using it right, you've immediately made yourself look like a scrub.

The rule of thumb is: Before calling something worthless, ask someone else how to use it effectively. You may think it's demeaning to defer to someone else's expertise, especially if you've spent your time on the forums trying to act like an MLG Pro Superstar who knows how to do everything flawlessly.... but being outed as a poser will be a far greater embarassment.

Here's a list of common faux-pas ignorant players make:

"The Eviscerator is Worthless, it doesn't deal the raw DPS of the AA12 and it isn't accurate at super-long range, the melee attack isn't as strong as the Pulverizer, and it weighs too much"

Essentially, you're saying that bananas are a horrible fruit because they aren't apples. AND oranges. AND grapes. The eviscerator is REALLY good at certain things: Instantly and efficiently mowing through an entire line of trash zeds, taking out mid-level zeds, and reliably stumbling FPs and Scrakes so teammates can take them down quickly and safely. The sustained melee buzzsaw attack grants damage reduction that can lower the damage you take while mowing through hordes (or facetanking more dangerous foes, at least to some degree or on lower difficulties) and should pair VERY well with the soon-to-be-available health-gain-on-kill skill (or otherwise, when you have reliable teammates armed with medic guns). Also, the Eviscerator has (I believe) the strongest bash attack in the game. Against individual zeds, it's VERY efficient compared to the buzzsaw attack. Did I mention you can also use the ricocheting sawblades to clear space in a cramped area? Any zeds not outright killed may get staggered long enough to get some elbow room. And it weighs a lot because it fulfills so many roles and attack types in one package. It's actually an advantage over carrying two weapons, since if you die you only have one weapon you need to pick up.

In other words, it's a very quirky weapon that takes some skill and practice to use. You just don't like it because you want it to be something else.

"Berzerker in general is worthless"

This is always said by people who refuse to ever touch the ranged 'zerker weapons and who still think the perk's defining role is dueling scrakes and nothing else.

Or reckless 'zerkers who REQUIRE medigun injections every two seconds to survive longer than five minutes.

It's true that the perk suffered from some lackluster skills, which will be rectified soon enough, but the MAIN problem here is that you're living in denial about what the perk is and what your role on the team is.

Really, the nature of the experience bonus says it best: Killing zeds that are near other players. Berserker is primarily a BODYGUARD class, and secondly a very effective trash-cleaner. Your role isn't to take all of the glory, but to make sure teammates remain unscathed, whether by clearing sneaky zeds off of them, or staggering / distracting larger ones long enough for teammates to dump damage on them. Try learning to play that role, and you'll find the perk not only effective, but lots of fun. Especially after the skill rework goes through.

"Every commando skill other than large mags and speed-loading is worthless"

Large mags and Speed-loading, individually, go a long way towards less reload-time for a commando. If you're taking both at once, it means one of two things: A) You want to put a LOT of bullets downrange as often as possible, or B) You're compensating for a personal inability to make each shot count and you're waiting to reload until it's already too late. Or, you're a selfish over-competitive player who can't stand the thought of anyone else getting a kill while you're reloading. Either way, it's a sad thing when "irresponsible bullet-hosing" is the more mature possibility.

A skilled KF2 player knows how to get good use out of their trusty 9mm even without the Backup bonuses and will even use it to drop husks and sirens in a pinch. Backup isn't for making a "worthless" weapon "almost good", it's a skill that rewards experienced players by giving a weapon they already use significantly more DPS, and even letting them fend off surprise trash with their knife almost as effectively as a 'zerker could with theirs.

And Impact allows Commandos to stagger bigger zeds than they normally could. This lets you save teammates by interrupting an attack at a crucial moment or deliver wide-area suppressive fire to hold back a charging horde. The ability may become even more useful with the upcoming changes to enemy limb material; some enemies might not drop as easily to a few small-caliber bullets to the head, so staggering them instead could prove very useful.

"Nightvision is worthless"

Half the time, people don't even say this comparitively to another skill, they just say they don't see the point of making everything all green.

A) you can fight in the dark with a weapon that doesn't have a flashlight. Especially important for 'zerkers. B) When you reload a flashlight gun, the light gets pointed away... running through the dark blind is a good way to deliver yourself straight into zed arms. Nightvision doesn't have this problem. C) Peripheral vision. D) If you find it that hard to see with the nightvision on, consider blaming your gamma settings instead of the nightvision itself.

"Medic weapons other than the AR are worthless"

The medic AR is a great weapon, sure, but the other weapons have their benefits. The shotgun might not have the DPS but it has BURST damage, can get trash zeds off of a teammate in a real hurry, and is easier to use on the move. The SMG doesn't have as much healing capacity or, again, the DPS, but again is easier to use on the move and absolutely SHREDS through trash zed skulls with ease. Oh, and it only weighs slightly more than the pistol, so if you like off-perk weapons with medic it's a pretty great choice.

"Every T4 weapon other than the AA12 is worthless"

There's more to a weapon's worth than short term DPS, y'know. Like ammo capacity. Just saying. AA12 is exhilerating to use but there's something to be said about the hassle of ammo conservation that comes with that. Most of the other T4s don't have that issue, and have their own uses... they don't NEED to have as much short-term DPS.

"Welding doors is useless if I can't do it forever"

Holding off zeds (or making them detour to another entrance) for even a little while is tactically beneficial, or just clustering them together for mass explosive / fire kills once they get through.

Generally speaking, it's narrow minded to think ANY tactic is completely useless if it won't by itself let you win the game easily.

"The opinions of people who play on any difficulty below HoE are worthless"

Okay, first off you're being an elitist ******bag if you've ever implied this. That kind of elitism scares people away from games, which could mean less funding for Tripwire, which would mean less content for YOU down the road. So if you want the game to fail and the community to dry up and leave you nobody to play with, keep up the elitist attitude. You ****.

Secondly, the balance on those difficulties needs to be tested too, or did you forget that we're in Early Access and that we're supposed to be helping get this game optimized for its full release, when MANY MORE players will join the community and be playing on those lower difficulties?

Thirdly, not everyone's desire from this game is the craziest challenge possible. Believe it or not, some people play Killing Floor, and other games, for FUN rather than bragging rights. Those people may find the pace of the middle difficulties (or even the lowest, who cares?) to be more FUN than the higher ones.

Plus, anyone saying this is forgetting something: We're still not THAT far into the Early Access, and a lot of players are purposely limiting the amount they play until new content comes out, so they won't burn themselves out playing with the same limited content for hundreds of hours. That means there's a LOT of players who haven't leveled their perks up very far, unless they cheat. Most people aren't going to jump into HoE or even Suicidal as a level 4 commando... if not for the difficulty, then because they don't want to be an ineffective member of the team when it really counts. They might just not be able to find active public servers running higher difficulties. How well could you do, partnered with a couple incompetent scrubs who keep ragequitting after their first death? You might know that somebody doesn't play HoE, but you can't just assume it's because they don't have the skill. (And believe me, nobody assumes that you DO just because you say you play on HoE.)

Also, I've got strong anecdotal evidence that the majority of people who exclusively play on the highest difficulties are extremely hostile *******s who will lynch you if you so much as pick "the wrong skill" or weapon or don't follow their "perfect winning strategy" regardless of how boring and exploity it is. So, uh.... **** HoE and **** you if you belittle anyone who doesn't play on it. :eek:

That's all the examples I have off the top of my head. Feel free to add your own, keeping in mind that the point here is to dismiss misconceptions about things being worthless ... ... and to indirectly make fun of the ignorant, whiny players who keep making these complaints. Without naming names, of course.

(I'm sure they'll come out of the woodwork to humiliate themselves without us having to do anything)

Why don't you look at that, it's my clone. Good job dude. Now....you missed talking about the M4.. I think I'll discuss that in a new post up here in a few minutes.

Somehow I've stayed out of conversations about the M4.

Half of that's because I haven't used it a lot, and the other half is because I legitimately can't remember which gun that is. Not a very distinctive name, tbh.

Berserkers confirmed Beta. All bask in the glory of Alpha Supports.

Hah. Funny thing is that the two actually make an AMAZING duo. You've got a class that can attack consistently and never has to reload, and a class that brings peerless firepower to the table, but has to worry about ammo management and reload speeds (especially with that beloved AA12).

A Berzerker watching a Support's back so they can take down high-tier zeds or line up efficient piercing shots without distraction is a really beautiful thing. Same will apply for Sharpshooter whenever that gets here, I'm sure.

@ Everyone so far - Real talk, I'm impressed you guys actually bothered reading my wall of text. Love you all <3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finaly somone I can agree with.

Unfortunately this is Early Access. You give access to an early build to people who have absolutely no idea how software is made or have never played the game or are just plain stupid.

Yes you get a lot of data, but sorting through that data and filtering what is garbage and what not is IMHO more time consuming and expensive than hireing proffesional testers and map creators on Unreal Engine.

But TWI are the proffesionals and I guess they know their business.

I just hope all that BS that people spit out on the forums don't derail the game, but I have faith in TWI that they won't make CoD Zombies all over again ...

Upvote 0
But TWI are the proffesionals and I guess they know their business.

I just hope all that BS that people spit out on the forums don't derail the game, but I have faith in TWI that they won't make CoD Zombies all over again ...

That kind of thing worries me sometimes, too.

See, I have faith that TWI knows what they're doing. They've got a good track record. And I believe they are good people in general based on what I've seen so far.

But in game development sometimes developers have to make the choice between doing what they KNOW is right / makes a good game, and making concessions to what people want..

Would they consider dropping/changing good game elements unnecessarily because too many people don't understand them? Would they add in bad elements because of too many people requesting them? Or will they ignore bad opinions and design the game the way THEY want it to be?

Upvote 0
The M4 itself is a good weapon. It shoots fast, has a good reload, and deals the same amount of damage as an AA12. Now when you put a fast reloading, pump shotgun that deals less damage(insignificant amount), that's the real problem. The SG 500 can compensate with head shots to kill bigger zeds(Body shots on a Gorefast won't kill it with 1 shot even with tenacity). A level 25 Support can kill a Gorefast with all the M4 shots in his body at a close-medium range. But on the other hand, the SG 500 can also kill the Gorefast with 1 shot but only in it's head. That's a big problem. If I can aim at the head of a zed with multiple zeds behind it, I'll be getting multiple head shots, especially since the support has shotgun penetration. Now, that's all cleared up, you should use more weight instead of 10% more damage. It's barely any different and allows you to use the M4 and AA-12 which equals to holding 2 AA-12's. I can say right now the only way to make the M4 better is by making it 'unique'. How? Increased headshot multiplier and increased accuracy. That's it. Or you could give it increased damage(10% more than it is now) 10% more accurate and less damage reduction through multiple body penetrations.

Upvote 0
Ohhhhh, yeah, the unappreciated shotgun.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but my first thought on that issue has always been, "Why not just let the M4 have a lot more reserve ammo, for some arbitrary reason?"

Knowing you'll have enough ammo to last a whole wave without having to aggressively hunt for ammo boxes (or rely on Supplier teammates) would be a tempting alternative to massive burst damage. I think.

Or maybe they could swap out the standard shotgun shells for something more exotic, for a uniqueness feature? Shotguns have some really exotic stuff available, so it's weird to me that video games rarely ever capitalize on that... it's rare to even see a slug option. (But I guess we have the dragon's breath with the firebug trenchgun, eh?) They could give it flechette shells, maybe? Or one of those deals with fewer, larger pellets?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dunno, I find that the Berserker is hardly a very good bodyguard when he's the squishiest class right now.

And the biggest problem with Nightvision is that there isn't a lot of gameplay value in destructible lights yet. There's no reason to hold out in dark areas, and every official map has perfectly well-lit areas to hold out on. Not to mention lack of ways to combat low-light environments without being a Zerker or Commando.

And I'd say that the problem of the M4 is that it's ultimately a delay in getting the AA12. It doesn't really have an edge over it's T4 counterpart.

Upvote 0
Ohhhhh, yeah, the unappreciated shotgun.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but my first thought on that issue has always been, "Why not just let the M4 have a lot more reserve ammo, for some arbitrary reason?"

Knowing you'll have enough ammo to last a whole wave without having to aggressively hunt for ammo boxes (or rely on Supplier teammates) would be a tempting alternative to massive burst damage. I think.

Or maybe they could swap out the standard shotgun shells for something more exotic, for a uniqueness feature? Shotguns have some really exotic stuff available, so it's weird to me that video games rarely ever capitalize on that... it's rare to even see a slug option. (But I guess we have the dragon's breath with the firebug trenchgun, eh?) They could give it flechette shells, maybe? Or one of those deals with fewer, larger pellets?

I've thought the same; the only game I can remember in recent memory that had slugs was COD:G in the KSG (KF1 HSG).

Honestly, I thought about what if the DBS had the spread of the M4, and vice versa? M4's grouping is so tight that you really don't get those multi-kills with ease. With the DBS I think nothing of demolishing a cluster of crawlers with one shot, or unloading one barrel right after the other to nearly clean out a room. The M4's tighter accuracy is ideal for head shooting Husks, Bloats and Sirens, but a Commando can do that so much better.

As for the Eviserator, it's just 'Meh for what it is vs it's downsides, those mostly being needing to sell the Nailgun and Pulverizer -at a loss- to get it. It feels like a upgrade from one of those weapons, but not a replacement for both. And I can always just stick with what I've got and throw the extra Dosh to a team mate so they can buy ammo. Seems like an obvious choice.

It's not terrible; but I disagree with the OP that it's accuracy with the blades isn't an issue. If I've got a slow firing weapon with a 5 round magazine, I want it to go where I want it to go. Every time it flys in the wrong direction like a Frisbee caught in the wind I feel cheated, like there was some sort of auto-aim taking my shot clean away from where I aim it.

Upvote 0
One of the issues here is a disagreement about what "worthless" and "useless" actually mean. Gamers love hyperbole and wildly overstretch words; at this point in most gaming communities, "worthless" and "useless" translate to "doesn't do enough things sufficiently better than the alternative to make it the optimal choice in any situation". In MOBAs, a hero with a winrate below 45% will regularly be trashed by the entire community as unplayable.

No one's saying that it's impossible to use them successfully, but then again it's probably also possible to beat HoE at level 0. You may not like this definition, but you aren't going to change it.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that all of the points you've listed are things like that. Some of the points you list are outright contradictory, so that wouldn't even be a coherent position. Please don't take this as a defense of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's probably also possible to beat HoE at level 0.

Challenge Accepted.

On a more serious note, the more the player actually informs themselves about the "object in question" the more you'll find out.

I'm still a deer in headlights for the Evis (unless your main role is a solo Zerk or frontline kiter) but for example, I hated the Flamethrower until I did testplays and made a video on it. Some good stuff came out of it and it'll definitely help out when I start leveling the firebug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Challenge Accepted.

On a more serious note, the more the player actually informs themselves about the "object in question" the more you'll find out.

I'm still a deer in headlights for the Evis (unless your main role is a solo Zerk or frontline kiter) but for example, I hated the Flamethrower until I did testplays and made a video on it. Some good stuff came out of it and it'll definitely help out when I start leveling the firebug.
Here we go again :D

Upvote 0
Good observations and thoughts, if a little crass with the ***** bits. I'll be keeping tabs on this puppy and moderating any unnecessary crap.

Thank you, I blame my crassness on living in Ohio, and thank you again, in that order. :D

I dunno, I find that the Berserker is hardly a very good bodyguard when he's the squishiest class right now.
I understand he'll be significantly less squishy in a future update. Specifically coming to mind: the choice between a big increase to max health or health gain on kills. Mmm.

Also, being a "bodyguard" isn't the same as being a "tank", so squishiness isn't as much of a concern as you would think. The only times you'll literally throw yourself into harm's way are when it's a FP/Scrake and you have a blocking/parrying weapon at the ready. Beyond that, it's more about killing or staggering enemies who are going after your teammates, and berzerker has both weapons with great penetrative abilities and ones that stagger zeds quite easily, and if you grab a melee weapon you'll never have to reload, which means you'll always be at the ready. Oh, plus there are those EMP grenades; the easiest way to save a friend in trouble is chuck one of those right at them, any zeds threatening that player will be so slowed and vulnerable that they can easily fight them back or run.

And the biggest problem with Nightvision is that there isn't a lot of gameplay value in destructible lights yet. There's no reason to hold out in dark areas, and every official map has perfectly well-lit areas to hold out on. Not to mention lack of ways to combat low-light environments without being a Zerker or Commando.
I understand there's a new map coming soon where light will be a VERY precious commodity. Hopefully we'll see more of that in the future, and the current set of maps will become regarded as "oddly well-lit". It's also possible / hopeful that there will be some mechanic eventually to dissuade just standing out in the big, open, well-lit areas all of the time..

As for the Eviserator, it's just 'Meh for what it is vs it's downsides, those mostly being needing to sell the Nailgun and Pulverizer -at a loss- to get it. It feels like a upgrade from one of those weapons, but not a replacement for both. And I can always just stick with what I've got and throw the extra Dosh to a team mate so they can buy ammo. Seems like an obvious choice.
What I like most about the Berzerker's weapon set is that they're all so different from each other that it does feel completely valid not to replace your weapons if you like what you've got. That's definitely how I hope TWI designs every perk's gear, going forward. Specifically regarding the points you've made here, I find that personally I'll usually just run with the Crovel and Nailgun if I intend to get the Eviscerator later, or MAYBE just the pulverizer by itself, so obviously the reselling isn't a big issue then. I only buy BOTH if I specifically want to run with both, which I find to be a fun but VERY deliberate loadout.. you've got the ability to effectively fight a wide variety of zeds at very disparate ranges, but you're also carrying the pulverizer at a very high total carry-weight, which makes it hard to chase down (or run away from) zeds.

[the eviscerator]'s not terrible; but I disagree with the OP that it's accuracy with the blades isn't an issue. If I've got a slow firing weapon with a 5 round magazine, I want it to go where I want it to go. Every time it flys in the wrong direction like a Frisbee caught in the wind I feel cheated, like there was some sort of auto-aim taking my shot clean away from where I aim it.

There's no clear truth in whether or not the inaccuracy, IE being constrained to short/mid range use or taking unsure pot-shots at long range, is a fair balancing point for the weapon's strengths...

Perhaps Tripwire should buff the accuracy for an update and let us decide if that makes the weapon TOO good? They could always just change it back later, if so.

They could also consider replacing the inaccuracy with something else. Making the sawblades arc at longer ranges? Giving them a maximum effective range? Damage fall-off by range due to loss of spin velocity?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeebus what a vent. :eek:

I usually insist on giving each and every bit that fell out of a game's meta a chance and see for myself why the devs might have put it there. Quite often I discover a niche build or almost as valid playstyle that way.

However, there are truely inferior choices and potential strategies which don't provide you with any worthwhile advantage at all. Is that really so hard to swallow?

For example, nightvision is in a weird spot right now. It's not completely useless, when compared to total darkness but most other option are better. Hence it goes:
Stay out of darkness > Flashlights > nightvision > Pub with FL assisting you > nothing.

With so many other options that don't cost a very rare skill point available, you simply must ask yourself "Why even bother?". Keep in mind that in the current build these options never fall fail at any point. So how can people who realize this be ignorant?

Perhaps Tripwire should buff the accuracy for an update and let us decide if that makes the weapon TOO good? They could always just change it back later, if so.
I don't think Tripwire believes in this kind of balancing approach, but since when is the Buzzsaw inaccurate? It goes exactly where you shoot it (minus projectile drop) o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0