• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PS3 fans quit jobs and postpone engagement to wait in line

The games?

I don't like Gears of War, Halo 2, Forza Motorsport, etc.

But I do like Killzone, Gran Turismo, etc.

But there are hardly any games on release. I think only Resistance is the only good game that comes with PS3, then theres long wait for more.
Theres nothing wrong having the console before these games are released, but for now I don't see any reason to get it as you have to pretty much wait days in line to get one.

Upvote 0
But there are hardly any games on release. I think only Resistance is the only good game that comes with PS3, then theres long wait for more.
Theres nothing wrong having the console before these games are released, but for now I don't see any reason to get it as you have to pretty much wait days in line to get one.
Precisely. That and I wouldn't pay

Upvote 0
I also believe that the idea in terms of releasing limiting quanities is to increase demand so that prices for the PS3 will go through the roof. I find it incredibly difficult to swallow that anyone is willing to play $3,000 for a premium system that is valued at $650. Sure, you'll be the first on your block to own one, but who is going to look idiotic a few months later when they are fully in stock?

Upvote 0
I heard on the radio today, 400,000 was going to be the initial number for available PS3's, then it was cut back, I forget the second number they gave, now the number is 90,000. They were saying most larger shops will only get about 6 machines on release day, some less. The national average was 4.

If I decide on the ps3, it will be after january when supply is up. I am howver waiting for wii and I will also check out the 360 before I decide which to buy.

Upvote 0
I have a friend who does this kind of 'volatility play' crap.
He'll get his hands on a dozen machines either before or right on release day through connections, and then BAM! ....on EBay they go. He makes good money doin it actually. Some people are insane with the need to have these things THE DAY THEY COME OUT.

He's been doing it since the PS2 and first XBox. The PS2 worked well for him, because if you remember there was a shortage then too. The first XBoxes went pretty fast, but the with the 360 he ended up with a bunch left over, lol, had to sell a few at a loss. (XBox is poop, people always want the Sony more)

Upvote 0
Oh dear, another example of a "created market."

Best Buy and Microsoft did this with the 360 when I worked there - we were told to hype up the customers, and then slyly offer them a pre-order - which did not even insure that you would get one! We ripped off a butt-load of people, which is pretty much why I quit.

Also, I've been watching the news here in Virginia, and I've got some interesting news....

A parent and his 15-yr old son have been waiting outside Circut City........

15? Why is that kid not in school?

No wonder our nation falls behind internationally in terms of educational performace - we've got dumbass parents camping out for a $600 toy instead of, ya know, sending their kids to school.

The crisis is looming....

Upvote 0
Just went to Circuit City to get my repaired 360 and saw the line, they have a raffle there so the person who wins gets a PS3, the line was very big and saw some people sleeping in their cars, didn't see any tents though.

And I think the raffle is being hosted by WNM (whoever that is) since I saw the symbol for it on a car and a table where people probally enter the raffle.

Upvote 0
I wonder when the one's who're queuing for the console itself will realise they're wasting their money on a PS2 with better graphics :)

And I wonder when the people queuing to sell one on ebay will realise they could have worked all those days/weeks they spent queuing and earnt more money than their profit from the sale unless it does indeed go crazy $24,000!!!

JEBUS!!!

Upvote 0
Heh, i just heard that PS3 games will sell even more expensive than other console games here, wow, now that is messed up!

Console games are allready super expensive here:

A PC game retails for about 399,- Dkr when its new, thats 68 USD.

But prices quickly drop to about 300,- Dkr, thats about 52 USD.

Thats pricey enough, but it gets much worse with console games:

They will retail at around 550,- Dkr, thats about 92 USD!

When prices do drop, it'll be to about 500,- Dkr, thats roughly 86 USD.

Bad enough? ohh no, PS3 titles are said to retail for as much as 650,- Dkr, thats 112 USD!

Upvote 0