• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Proper way to angle a Panzer IV?

I know what you mean in some games

I know what you mean in some games

Maybe the game just loads wrong or someone has a cheat. But there are times when I will have my heavy tank knocked off, even with perfect angle but my shots will hit their light tank when they are not angled at all and all my shots bounce off. I usually suspect something fishy at such times. Other fishy things are those Clan sites where the Russians will win in Arad before I even have time to get my tank over our spawn hill.

Upvote 0
Forget angling...keep moving.

Forget angling...keep moving.

11 o'clock is preferable to the 1 o'clock with the Pz IV because your ammo stowage bin on the left hull is pretty low, whereas the ready bin on the right sits higher.

I just keep moving until I am hull- or turret-down to avoid the angling games, in which cases the Soviets most invariably win.

Upvote 0
11 o'clock is preferable to the 1 o'clock with the Pz IV because your ammo stowage bin on the left hull is pretty low, whereas the ready bin on the right sits higher.

I just keep moving until I am hull- or turret-down to avoid the angling games, in which cases the Soviets most invariably win.
QFE

Try to keep yourself hull-defilade as much as you can.

Upvote 0
Hull Down- it just makes sense

Hull Down- it just makes sense

I second (or third) the hull-down school of thought. It's good to be able to take a hit and keep fighting...but it's MUCH better not to take a hit in the first place!

Just remember, though, once you've been spotted in a HD position you can bet the Rus will pound away- and once you make a move to get away you'd better have a decent escape route. Incoming fire ALWAYS has the right-of-way. And, despite your best efforts, Hull-Down sometimes just isn't enough.

Upvote 0
Maybe the game just loads wrong or someone has a cheat. But there are times when I will have my heavy tank knocked off, even with perfect angle but my shots will hit their light tank when they are not angled at all and all my shots bounce off. I usually suspect something fishy at such times.
Tiger and JS-2 are the heavies. Don't angle the panther, just take it on the glacis. T-34 have too high an armour rating and angling is over modeled. The Russian 85mm isn't a bad gun. And the ranges on most "offical" maps are 500m or less.
Other fishy things are those Clan sites where the Russians will win in Arad before I even have time to get my tank over our spawn hill.
That's just Arad. The distances in the map favour the Northern side. Add in that the Russians have the faster tanks and the clown car, it's an easy win for them. If the Germans "rush" to North field, then they lose South Field before anyone could reach North field.

Upvote 0
t34/85 is very weak tank, you can compare it with only pzIVH they are equal. Tiger&Panther dominate really well the battlefield, only IS2 can compare to them. Panther is unequal at the moment to any tank in the field.

Someone said that don't angle panther, that is right, you can ignore all russian fire unless it's IS2. IS2 will kill panther from 100-1000m frontally, so angle only against IS2...

Check my post about panther, that is the current situation RO. Panther the king of tanks...

Upvote 0
Tank balancing in this game is a lot different than I initially thought it was. When I first played the game, I thought the Panther was the most dominant tank in the game (and it still is), and I thought the Tiger was a piece-o-poo and the T34/85 to be alright. As I played more and more, I began to realize that all the tanks have their pluses and minuses:

When it comes to tank vs tank combat, Russian tanks are superior. A well crewed Tiger is a beast of a tank if you angle it, but the only tank that can consistantly stand up to Russian armour imho is the Panther, which is only found in very small numbers in this game. Russian tanks are also a lot faster which makes them more mobile. Crew/player quality can go a long, long, LONG ways in determining a tank vs tank battle though.

In infantry support, German tanks are superior, and for one simple reason; the MG spot. The German MG position is a lot easier to use. It's zoomed and has more easy to use sights. This is why in a map like Konigsplatz the Tiger makes for a perfect match for both the T34/85 and the IS2. Get yourself in a good position with the Tiger and you can deflect most shells sent your direction as long as you angle it right. You can also mow down Russian infantry with ease using the vastly superior MG spot within the Tiger tank (and all other German tanks minus the Stug).

Ironically though, I think, overall, the best tank in the game is the T34/85. I'd argue the Panther, but it's just not common enough. The T34/85 is fast, has great armor, a good gun, reloads fast, and has a secondary MG. It's like it's not best at any one thing, but it can do everything very well. I like it, but hey, I'm biased. That's just opinion. :)

Upvote 0
Ranari said:
Ironically though, I think, overall, the best tank in the game is the T34/85. I'd argue the Panther, but it's just not common enough. The T34/85 is fast, has great armor, a good gun, reloads fast, and has a secondary MG. It's like it's not best at any one thing, but it can do everything very well. I like it, but hey, I'm biased. That's just opinion

Perhaps in the game but in real life the T-34 (76 and 85) was a deathtrap due to its lack of armor which was 45mm of hull armor (front, side, and rear). The Tiger I and Panther G had much superior armor which could not be penetrated by a T-34/85 except at under 500 meters from the front and not angled. In fact I have read accounts of the Panther G deflecting IS-2 122mm rounds from its frontal armor when at an oblique angle from as close as 600 meters. The Tiger I in game should not have to angle itself against any tank except for the T-34/85 only under 500 meters and the JS-2 at any range.
As for the Panther's "commoness" in game it is a rare sight but realistically the Panther G was produced in virtually the same numbers as the Panzer IV H (3,126 Panther G's) These numbers do not take the assualt versions as well as the previous verisons of the Panther into account.

Ranari said:
When it comes to tank vs tank combat, Russian tanks are superior. A well crewed Tiger is a beast of a tank if you angle it, but the only tank that can consistantly stand up to Russian armour imho is the Panther, which is only found in very small numbers in this game. Russian tanks are also a lot faster which makes them more mobile. Crew/player quality can go a long, long, LONG ways in determining a tank vs tank battle though.

In 1941-1942 perhaps but they lost their avantage with the introduction of the upgunned and uparmored tanks (Panzer III and IV), the Tiger series and Panther series. Russian armor realisticly (the T-34 anyways) sacrifices armor for speed so most German tanks could easily penetrate the T-34's armor at ranges that both verisons of the T-34 could not respond from. True the T-34 is faster than the German tanks but that does not mean German tanks are immobile moving bunkers. The Tiger I for example was just as fast as a Panzer IV and had extremely good mobilty as well as regenerative steering (a little known fact that is often ignored). The Panther G (46km/hr) was almost as fast as a T-34-85 (50km/hr) and could manuver through almost anything.

What really bugs the crap out of me is that the T-34/76\KV-1s can engage a Panzer IV H from any range and still kill and damage you when it could not. Here are some numbers from battlefield.ru:

F-34 penetration BR-350A at 90 deg:
100m: 80mm
300m: 76mm

F-34 penetration BR-350B at 90 deg:
100m: 86mm
300m: 81mm

According to this you would have to get closer than 300 meters to penetrate a Panzer IV H frontally assuming he is not angled. If you want to see how easy it is to die in a Panzer IV H play Ro-BlackDayJuly.

As for the T-60 the only thing that "tank" should be able to destroy is itself, Su-76's, Halftracks, KlownKars, UC's, infantry, and perhaps another LIGHT tank. Panzer III /Panzer IV are not light tanks and are nearly invulnerable to 20mm round attack (except rear).
How would you like it if a Panzer II F were capable of easily destroying T-34's and Kv's from any direction in a few shots? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hehe, i never take p4's any more. the apcr ammo for the panzer lll has scarry good penetration some tank website state that the panzer 3's apcr penetration was 130mm with the pzgrb40 apcr round, which is somewhat replicated ingame, the panzer 3 might not have all that great armor, but its gun can even damage perfectly angeled t34's...

Upvote 0
have all that great armor

Did a bit of searching and even opened up the Panzer III tank UC and the Panzer III Ausf L in game for some reason has only 30mm of frontal armor and only 20mm rear armor:
PanzerIIItank .uc said:
FrontArmorFactor=3
SideArmorFactor=3
RearArmorFactor=2
3=30mm
2=20mm

According to all sources I have read the Panzer III Ausf L should have a frontal armor rating of 70mm maximum (50+20) or 50mm minimum the rear should also be 50mm all around.
Heres what they should be:
Front Upper Hull: 50+20/9
Front Lower Hull: 50/21
Side Upper Hull: 30/0
Side Lower Hull: 30/0
Rear Upper Hull: 50/17
Rear Lower Hull: 50/9

I hope this gets fixed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although I'm a self-confessed fan of Tigers, I'm starting to warm up to PzIII's more and more. Their speed is an attraction, but the Big Show is the APCR capability- I'm finding I can actually get MORE kills with APCR (1-3 shots) than I can with a Tiger on some maps...wierd. It's just too bad the loadout for APCR is so low- carrying more would go a long way towards balancing out their awful armor rating. I'm mostly using APCR to get the target smoking, but switch to AP if another tank is in on the kill; otherwise it's APCR all the way until I'm out.

It REALLY freaks out the T-34 drivers on Black Day or Orel when a PzIII takes them out at 800 meters...!

hehe, i never take p4's any more. the apcr ammo for the panzer lll has scarry good penetration some tank website state that the panzer 3's apcr penetration was 130mm with the pzgrb40 apcr round, which is somewhat replicated ingame, the panzer 3 might not have all that great armor, but its gun can even damage perfectly angeled t34's...

Upvote 0
hehe your right in one battle i knocked out 7 t34s in 2min on black day july:p:D the gun fires so fast i was sweating as i Reloaded :p ALSO I LOVE TO SEE THIS PANZER 3 http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/panzer7/pz3m_11dpanc.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The PanzerIII is becoming a new favorite of mine now that I know about the APCR ammo. Yes, I was a doofus before and thought it was an HE type of ammunition, lol. Boy was I wrong! Knocking out T34's at maximum range that I can see them is amazing. The gun reloads so fast and has such a high muzzle velocity that it's easy to hit targets with. Its only drawback... just 20 rounds!

As to the original topic. I've been toying with the Panzer4 as of late. It's a hard bugger to angle because it's never consistant. If you're up against 76mm guns it's not so bad, but anything 85mm or 122mm and it becomes a death trap. It's a great tank for infantry support, and it's reasonable for engaging enemy tanks, but compared to a T34/85 (ingame), it's really no contest (all versions). This is compared to T34/85's and IS2's deflecting Tiger/Panther guns left and right as long as you're correctly angled.

Honestly though, my favorite tank maps are the early ones. Early tanks don't deflect left and right like the heavies do, so the maps become more about tank skill and good spotting/shooting than simply digging in at an angle. Arad is notorious for this.

Upvote 0