• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

proper magazine disposal

widowmaker

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
15 mags means 15 mags and not 225 bullets. When you reload, you should not be able to reuse any remaining rounds left in the mag. This could also introduce the allowance of chambering a round. If you want to keep that mag then it's fine. After you finish reloading all your full mags, reload the partially used ones. It's a small thing but it really changes the dynamics of gameplay, especially on hard or suicidal.

nah, I dont like it

but seeing how many bullets I have left instead of mag number (which doesnt tell you accurate ammount of bullets you have left) would be a good addition

for example instead of seeing 50/9 on a full bullpup, it should say 50/450

because its really not funny when you have 50/1, thinking you got another mag, but you really just have 2 or 3 more bullets

Upvote 0
Knowing the exact number of bullets you have left is rarely the case with any gun. When firing a gun, you never know how many bullets you have left in your magazine short of counting how many you've fired or feeling the weight of the gun. Since feeling the weight is obviously not possible, the current system does an adequate job of informing the player.

Upvote 0
Knowing the exact number of bullets you have left is rarely the case with any gun. When firing a gun, you never know how many bullets you have left in your magazine short of counting how many you've fired or feeling the weight of the gun. Since feeling the weight is obviously not possible, the current system does an adequate job of informing the player.

this is a VIDEO game you know?

in 99% of games you know your ammount of bullets

and I am talking about spare bullets which its not hard to know off at all

Upvote 0
If you take the 9mm as an example, you have 15 mags of 15 rounds each. In the current system you can fire 1 round, reload, repeat another 210 times before you start reloading non-full mags or more accurately, cannot reload anymore. Having a fixed number of full mags prevents people from abusing reloading.

If you think about the flamethrower, it becomes even more clear why having discrete mags with their respective capacities becomes apparent. Knowing when to reload becomes a skill and is based on your ability to assess the situation. Also known as situational awareness.

@Wolfdust:
It's precisely because those weapons are weak that you need to know when you have a full mag to blast down range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"abusing" the reload?

Perhaps you failed to read your own thread, but I mentioned something along the lines of a "drop pouch". I understand, as a person who has likely never fired a gun, much less in a combat situation, or even been kitted out, you have no idea what it is.

In a combat situation, people often drop their magazines into a pocket, or a large "Pouch" known as a "drop pouch". If they are not sure they are empty. And considering no one has time to count their rounds (trust me), often a mag is dropped in with a unknown ammount of rounds. The idea being, once the situation has been dealt with, or if absolutely necessary, you can grab them, strip out rounds and load a full mag.

Frankly, that's a little too complex for a game. And I can't really even think of a shooter that uses a system approaching this, likely do to the fact that it's a lot of work for a lot of annoyance.

Upvote 0
I know exactly what you're talking about, but as you said the entire process would be too complicated in a game. All I'm asking for is to simply not have full mags with every reload. Operation flashpoint and armed assault (same thing really) have it how it should be, but then again that game shoots for realism.

Before you make baseless accusations make sure you're not wrong. Here's a few shots of what I own:

Upvote 0
You own a small... *coughcoughcough* ? :p

If you want realism, play OFP and ARMA (OFP1.5), or even ARMA-II(OFP1.9).
Who said this game is shooting for realism? :confused:

If you really want this to be implemented, I suggest you start writing a mod.
I'd think TWI has enough work with tweaking the game already.
Or if they are planning to implement it, it is probably quite low on their priority list.

Upvote 0
That's a cute little rifle.:p

But on a serious note, I supposed you've never investigated this thoroughly, considering that if you do continue to reload , reach your last mag, and have not been going through them in their entirety, you will only end up with whatever "spare" ammo you have left.

The current system works as I described far, far above. As though they loaded their mags before reloading. At least in my experience, time and again.

Upvote 0
Soanos, yes my *coughcoughcough* is 2cm. :p

Before this gets 18+, I understand this game isn't going for realism like OFP and ARMA 1&2 both of which I have played or am currently playing. Perhaps I'm just asking for too much. I will admit though I'm not modding material so that's why I'm complaining here.

Krieg, as established already, nobody has time to fiddle with partially empty mags by topping them up. That would seriously be asking for too much. What I'm saying is if you have 3 mags, you reload half way though the first two mags. Empty that third mag and you should be able to reload 2 half mags instead of 1 full one. Again, I may be asking for too much since this isn't a realism game.

Upvote 0
@Wolfdust:
It's precisely because those weapons are weak that you need to know when you have a full mag to blast down range.

But... the current system let's you know that!

Look at ammo counter, see if magazine if full, if not, reload. You don't need to worry about not having a full mag to blast downrange unless you've only got one magazine left. That's good.

Getting raped because your character stuffs a half-full magazine into his rifle that has 20 or 25 shots left(depending on if you're a high enough level Commando or even a Commando at all) with a scrake bearing down on you isn't fun. It's taking realism a bit too far.

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure 99% of people would hate this implemented

and abusing realod?

wtf are you talking about, its not like reload makes you invulnerable or something, quite the opposite reloading is the time when you are the most vulnerable inthe game and TBH, knowing when its safe enough to reload is more of a skill than abusing (I srsly loled at that).

Upvote 0
Stupider than asking for crosshairs instead of using the iron sights?

Of course, mate. Waaay more stupid.
Let play a small game, eh?
You tell me one FPS that apply your half-magazine reloading, I tell you 3 FPS that dont have that feature. And are successful games.

Heck, the very first advice of playing a gun-involved game is, reload ASAP, because you dont know what's coming next. Having 10 mag with 10~20 bullets each vs having 3~4 full mag, which one is better? I'd rather die with my hand on the trigger, than die reloading.

Upvote 0