• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Problems with FPS :(((

Stricken

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
As the tittle said i have some tiny problems with FPS.
Sometime it drops but it's still very playable until this happened. Two hours ago i was playing a very dark map i think it's kf-suburbia or something (with gas station) and my fps started droping to 25 i think... it was almost unplayable.
I noticed huge spikes, and all the smoothness was ruined.
My average FPS is i think between 71-81.
Im playing on highest graphic settings and the highest resolution 1920x1080.

My specs are:
(RAM): 4.00GB
processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.8GHz 1.80GHz
graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Is there any solution to fix this? Or my specs are simply low?

As the tittle said i have some tiny problems with FPS.
Sometime it drops but it's still very playable until this happened. Two hours ago i was playing a very dark map i think it's kf-suburbia or something (with gas station) and my fps started droping to 25 i think... it was almost unplayable.
I noticed huge spikes, and all the smoothness was ruined.
My average FPS is i think between 71-81.
Im playing on highest graphic settings and the highest resolution 1920x1080.

My specs are:
(RAM): 4.00GB
processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.8GHz 1.80GHz
graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Is there any solution to fix this? Or my specs are simply low?

Turn down any quality settings if you haven't already, Your cpu/gpu will struggle on 1920 on quite a few high detailed maps during peak times.

Id look to play at 1280x720, you may be able to turn more of the quality settings up a little then too.

Upvote 0
The gpu really shouldn't have a problem with the game at all and since his average fps is so high I would assume the cpu is doing fine too.

Dropping into very low framerates even though your system is capable of rendering high framerates is, in my experience, either caused by a programming problem that causes memory to fill up until the game won't run properly anymore, wonky optimizing (e.g. when you're looking at a certain type of transparent texture and your framerate just plummets for no real discernible reason), or certain unavoidable circumstances in a game (e.g. when looking away from 200 enemies the framerate is fine, but looking at them makes it crawl), or by other programs intervening in the background. E.g. an updater, downloader or torrent program (in some cases also anti-virus software that scans active files on-the-fly).

Can you rule out that background programs are causing this, Stricken, and try again?

If it happens again, can you describe when exactly these framerate drops occur? I.e. are you looking at something specific when they happen, do they only happen after you've been playing for a while, how often do they occur (per minute or per second), how long do they last (micro stutter or perhaps memory leak)?
The more details we know easier it is to pin-point the problem.

Reactions: poosh
Upvote 0
Sometimes I have the same problem. I have similar h/w specs, just a little bit higher:

RAM: 6GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @3GHz
GPU: 2 x 8800GT SLI (9800GT is the same 8800GT, just renamed)

I'm also playing on highest detail 1920x1080, just antialiasing lowered to 2x. I have stable 90FPS on all maps (90 is a FPS cap in network games). I can even watch a bunch of burning specimens without significant FPS drop. And we all know flame rendering is KF's weak side. But sometimes my framerate drop to silly low values (<30) without a reason. No background tasks are running, antivirus is set to game mode too. I think the reason is some bad programming code, which leads to a huge memory leak. I'm not sure, but it happens often after a big explosion followed by a ZED time.

As a temporary fix, if you want to finish the game, you can periodically stare at the floor for a several seconds. After that FPS usually raises, but not to a value it should be (in my case it stays at 40-60). Only restarting the game can completely solve it (until next such episode occurs).

But the most awkward thing is that lowering graphics quality or/and resolution doesn't help. Playing @ 1280x720 Medium quality I get 200+ FPS in solo games, where is no FPS cap. But even then low framerate bug can occur.

Upvote 0
@poosh:
Could be a problem with overheating.
It's possible your hardware is running hot, which slows down the game, and when you look at the ground to reduce the load on it, allowing it to cool down, you can play on for little bit again until it heats up too much again.
Do you have a way of monitoring the temperatures of your hardware?

To reduce the load on the gpu try lower detail settings and a lower resolution and enable v-sync in the driver options so the game isn't rendered unnecessarily fast.
If that helps it's probably your gpu that's been overheating.
If not, it may be the cpu.

Doesn't explain the ground-looking voodoo, but if a game slows down after a while although it ran fine before it can also be due to memory is filling up.
If the display settings don't have any effect on this it's probably something else. Soundcard, perhaps?

Try updating its driver to the newest version and see if that helps.

(as a diagnostic step if it doesn't, just to rule out the soundcard for sure, you can try to set your audio settings to Safe Mode and check the Low Sound Detail box, whatever that does, to see if the game runs ok longer before it begins to slow down.

If you know what you're doing you can also disable your soundcard completely in your bios. If that fixes the slow-down you know where the problem was.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i have a computer with similar specs, and ran into the same problems
for me it WAS overheating, the computer goes into a "throttle" mode or underclocking whenever it is overheating which causes the FPS count to drop to single digits when it would be running at a decent 50-60 previously

simple solution, stick a fan near it

Upvote 0
The gpu really shouldn't have a problem with the game at all and since his average fps is so high I would assume the cpu is doing fine too.

Dropping into very low framerates even though your system is capable of rendering high framerates is, in my experience, either caused by a programming problem that causes memory to fill up until the game won't run properly anymore, wonky optimizing (e.g. when you're looking at a certain type of transparent texture and your framerate just plummets for no real discernible reason), or certain unavoidable circumstances in a game (e.g. when looking away from 200 enemies the framerate is fine, but looking at them makes it crawl), or by other programs intervening in the background. E.g. an updater, downloader or torrent program (in some cases also anti-virus software that scans active files on-the-fly).

Can you rule out that background programs are causing this, Stricken, and try again?

If it happens again, can you describe when exactly these framerate drops occur? I.e. are you looking at something specific when they happen, do they only happen after you've been playing for a while, how often do they occur (per minute or per second), how long do they last (micro stutter or perhaps memory leak)?
The more details we know easier it is to pin-point the problem.

I just tested it again on 6 man westlondon.
When i look on the ground i have max fps and it stays stable at 90... doesnt even blink. Then when i rise my mouse and look to the walls, fps drops to 75.. sometime to even 65.
When im killing and actually playing the game, in action it's 45-50 and drops to 30 or even lower... that's the time when i cant play.. it's just unplayable.
A few more things that may be good to mention is that:
Im playing KF for like 20 days, first 14 days i didin't notice ANY FPS problems.
I finally said "nice.. finally a game that i can play at max fps without any fps problems". I didin't even think about how much fps i have, cause i simply didint care, the game did run perfectly smooth. And then suddenly, a few days ago my fps nightmares started FOR NO REASON !!!
Same with Team Fortress2. Just i played TF a little bit longer untill i faced FPS problems. I played team fortress for like 1month or even more, it was okey, smooth, really fine and then suddenly i started having huge problems with FPS. I downloaded game booster, cleaned my CPU... my cpu is perfectly smooth and clean, no virus, fragmented, no malware... nothing, it's clean so perfect... i tried everything but my FPS was so ****ty that i wasnt able to play. So i stopped playing Team Fortress only because i had huge FPS problems, it was unplayable.

Now, the strangest thing in KF is that cause a few days ago i played this game without even thinking about FPS... and now i can't even play. I EVEN lowered my graphics from Everything on highest to medium now... didin't help much...
Seems like my 8 years old cpu was better than this one i bought like a year ago.... what the **** is wrong with this cpu... i just cant play ****!
*edit -Just tried lowest possible graphics with lowest resolution, while standing and doing nothing it's 100+ fps and in action it drops to 33 or something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Murphy
Big thanx for advice! I'll turn on logging in the RivaTuner to compare Temperature/FPS charts. I forgot to mention that my GPUs are overclocked, but I'm using alternate cooling system (Zalman VF1000) and have 25cm fan in the side wall. So temperature of the overclocked GPU is even lower than while using standard frequencies and stock fan. But maybe it's time to clean out the dust :D

It couldn't be a sound card problem, because I've already made testings you've mention.

Upvote 0