• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Possiblility of porting KF to UE3?

Massacrer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2012
hzgaming.net
I know this has been suggested many times, but I think that it is getting close to the point where we would need an engine port from UE2.5 to UE3 since no one can really work with a hardcoded limit of 2 GB of RAM (and I am pretty sure that KF Vanilla itself is reaching this point as well; otherwise, we would be getting a lot more new content at this point). It would be great if this can happen, and I can understand that the cost of UE3 license would require a lot of money. However, if KF is ported to UE3, then it would allow modders and TWI to be able to add more content and/or game modes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it was the same bs when people cried: "OH THE PORT OF KF TO LINUX IS TOO COSTLY". It wasn't and certainly graphic overhaul won't be. If they could sacrifice a weapon pack or a seasonal event for a graphical update that'd be grand. I hope they will.
4-6 weapons or the complete overhaul of every asset... right, sure, because they are both equal in cost.

Well, either way, KF should be going into UE3, which would allow better functionality and etc.
Then we are looking at KF "2", not a port which is what you suggested. Which is an entirely different thing. Thats' a whole NEW game.

KF is fine as is (bugs/glitches aside) What exactly would some hi fidelity add?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
4-6 weapons or the complete overhaul of every asset... right, sure, because they are both equal in cost.

Then we are looking at KF "2", not a port which is what you suggested. Which is an entirely different thing. Thats' a whole NEW game.

UE3 would increase the memory limit from a mere 2 GB (Unless there is some way to do through making some modification in the software code without using Large Address Aware and I can't use it since I am on a Linux Box) to the number that you suggested in a previous conversation that you had with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it was the same bs when people cried: "OH THE PORT OF KF TO LINUX IS TOO COSTLY". It wasn't and certainly graphic overhaul won't be. If they could sacrifice a weapon pack or a seasonal event for a graphical update that'd be grand. I hope they will.

iirc most people understood the only work involved in porting revolved around compiling a new binary and libraries from source available at Epic. Even if there was one guy that said it would co$t too much there's an incredible difference between the two things you're comparing.

Upvote 0
iirc most people understood the only work involved in porting revolved around compiling a new binary and libraries from source available at Epic. Even if there was one guy that said it would co$t too much there's an incredible difference between the two things you're comparing.

looking at the state of kf on linux now i highly doubt it's just a case of "compiling a new binary and libraries from source".

Upvote 0

Yeah, because it would be totally stupid of Tripwire to put a little money BACK into Killing Floor and polish it up a bit. That could only hurt sales, right? :rolleyes:

This is probably the best example of "*** Talking" I have yet to see on the internet, yet. Listen, if Tripwire can spend time adding DLC characters, crowd sourced weapon packs, and assorted bells and whistles, they can take a look into updating their engine. If nothing else, vBullitin comes with built in Polls, so maybe the devs could poll the community?

I think you mean "KF is fine as is for me." Right? I personally would like to see some updated graphics, and ... you don't speak for me, so not sure why you think you are entitled to make a blanket judgement for everyone who plays this game.

Upvote 0
Yeah, because it would be totally stupid of Tripwire to put a little money BACK into Killing Floor and polish it up a bit. That could only hurt sales, right? :rolleyes:

This is probably the best example of "*** Talking" I have yet to see on the internet, yet. Listen, if Tripwire can spend time adding DLC characters, crowd sourced weapon packs, and assorted bells and whistles, they can take a look into updating their engine. If nothing else, vBullitin comes with built in Polls, so maybe the devs could poll the community?
But it would be stupid if the cost out weighed the return, and that is what I've argued would probably be the case. Most of the extra update stuff was done in the art teams 'free' time. Things like the M4 for example. Otherwise we would have had a L85 or Lee Enfield, by now as they are more suitable for the setting. And most suggested/requested on the boards (or were at least)

Let me ask you a question, have you looked into the differences between UE2.5 (already heavily modified by TWI.) and UE 3? Sure UE3's asset pipeline would speed things up somewhat. But you can't simply take what we've already go and throw it in. You'd have to redo all but maybe the 1st person weapon mesh. The code would be redundant, the textures and materials, animations etc. Oh and then of course comes the issue of chasing out all the bugs and glitches inherent with porting to a new engine. AND THEN there is the cost of the Engine License on top...

Don't know if you've noticed, but KF may have reached over 1m sales, but that was through hard promotion and constant sales over 3years. An engine update isn't suddenly going to generate that in a short time.

I think you mean "KF is fine as is for me." Right? I personally would like to see some updated graphics, and ... you don't speak for me, so not sure why you think you are entitled to make a blanket judgement for everyone who plays this game.

I would imagine that as I and saying it would automatically imply that I am speaking for myself? Or does every post have to read like a legal document :rolleyes:

Killing Floor, herein referred to as KF, is fine as I, forum user Whisky, see it. It is for these reasons, see section 1 paragraph 2, that I, forum user Whisky, do not think that upgrading KF to the Unreal 3 engine would be a viable investment for Tripwire Interactive Inc, herein referred to as TWI, due to the inherent cost outweighing that of potential returns. For the record allow me, forum user Whisky, to state that all content within my posts are solely mine (Whisky) unless stated otherwise and that they reflect only my (Whisky) personal opinion and insights on the matter.

Unambiguous enough for you? :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The person you chose to debate with about the topic is one of the higher skilled modding members on these forums (aliens mod, dead space mod, countless other things as well). This is someone who has spent probably 500-1000+ hours working on mods for the game.

You cannot simply "port" her over and have things run smoothly, you would be better to start from scratch and use existing models/sounds/music or whatever things will transfer over and build up from there. Simply because TWI has spent time on things for the game does not in any way validate your notion that a port over would work in terms of a financial gain that was worth the work input. Which led to his comment of better to make a new game, which BTW, I would love to see!

If you back your ideas up with any sort of credible proof of your knowledge on the topic I will absolutely hear you out and even tell you I agree if you change my mind. Let me know of the projects you've worked on and which programs you have spent time with to gain knowledge on the time/cost to profit ratio.

Upvote 0
I will pay for UT3 version of KF but this will be an epic fail by my oppinion.

Since this is going to be a completely new game (you can't just copy/paste the code and voila) I believe that this should be done with more thought in order to add new things to the game, keep the balance and maybe release it as KF2 or smthn. Not sure, but defenetly worth investing in since I am hooked up to the game I will pay some reasonable amount of money for another KF with better graphics and so on. The hell I payed 60 euro for Black Ops 2 and it is not half as good as KF.

Maybe even better if they use the new Unreal Engine that Aliens: Colonal Marines is based on will kick so much *** :) This will be a cause to get a week of work, put a blanket on my window, swich off my phone and buy a kilo of weed.

Upvote 0