• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Possibility: Drivable Ha-Go

Even with the animations & Models, the hard part and arguably the biggest task is the coding, have you seen how large and complex the files are for the Panzer IV?
I'm currently working on a M2 Carbine, a Map & several Mutators for the 2nd Rangers Battalion, 75th Regiment. I'll take a look later on, I don't think I'm that wizard you're looking for but in the future I may give it a try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even with the animations & Models, the hard part and arguably the biggest task is the coding, have you seen how large and complex the files are for the Panzer IV?
I wonder how much of that could just be carried over. I mean numerical values would all have to be changed of course. And the armor layout would have to be done from scratch. But it seems like one could get away with ripping alot of that code and changing numerical values. I could be horribly wrong though; I've seen the code, but I'm no coder.

Upvote 0
I wonder how much of that could just be carried over. I mean numerical values would all have to be changed of course. And the armor layout would have to be done from scratch. But it seems like one could get away with ripping alot of that code and changing numerical values. I could be horribly wrong though; I've seen the code, but I'm no coder.
It definitely would be possible, in fact if I were to start working on it this would be the first thing I'd do, in the worst case you could base the format of the coding off of the other tanks. However the amount of code is staggering, it's just the sheer amount of work involved that makes the task difficult.

Upvote 0
It's a shame they're all out of contact now from what I've seen.

Just out of curiosity, how much/how complex is the required code? I imagine like you said most of the main functions are there, most of the work will probably be setting up specific things like hitboxes and such.
I know a bit of C++ and Java but I doubt I'll be of any use whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Just out of curiosity, how much/how complex is the required code? I imagine like you said most of the main functions are there, most of the work will probably be setting up specific things like hitboxes and such.

UnrealScript is similar to Java

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnrealScript

Upvote 0

Unreal Script isn't all that hard to learn, it's just the fact that TWI cobbled together so much custom content in the native code, I don't know if it is considered a Unreal Engine game at this point. It's quite easy to learn, the problem lies in finding what each class & object mean and or need to function (this is tricky considering how many classes there are in the code files). It uses the same idea as java, it's a class & object based code. I'm currently working on an M2 Carbine, which is my first time bothering to code something. Thankfully Dibbler has been helping me, I don't know where I'd be in the process without him. Considering the fact that there are already tanks in game this means that we have a format and massive source of examples of classes used in the tanks to look at. The main thing is the amount of work involved. Back when I was with the 29th ID while working in there Engineering Corps (Mapping, Modeling, texturing, and Coding staff) I tried to convince the second in command of the E.C. to work on the project of attempting to implement it in game. Unfortunately he happened to hate tanks, like despise them. So I never managed to get that to work out properly. Assuming I had managed to I'd have the proper resources to work on something like this, but now I unfortunately don't.

Upvote 0
I'm still in contact with Szeder what is it you want to ask him ?

And bear in mind as Bob said he's under NDA so some things may not be possible to answer or do

Ask him if he can give us the complete model and texture for the Japanese tank interior. That's the whole point here.

Also, if you get the chance, ask him if he has anything else related to Rising Storm unused content, like an interior for the Stuart if they ever made one.

I don't know much about NDAs but hopefully it only restricts them talking about release dates and such.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ask him if he can give us the complete model and texture for the Japanese tank interior. That's the whole point here.

Also, if you get the chance, ask him if he has anything else related to Rising Storm unused content, like an interior for the Stuart if they ever made one.

I don't know much about NDAs but hopefully it only restricts them talking about release dates and such.
Considering this much is in the SDK & source files, I doubt they finished it. If this is the only thing in the SDK, why would the not put in the textures? Also the coding for the bazooka for example, is a mock up using the K98's code. If it isn't there it simply doesn't exist, or was never completed. Although I'm all for vehicles they change game play dynamically, RS to be honest at least the official maps wouldn't support vehicles in the game play.
I'm almost positive the stuff in the SDK & source is what we have, there still is a lot of unused content.
Also the Stuart is a Static Mesh, and not an actual tank that can move around and shoot things.
The way I see is that the original plans were to create a Japanese tank & create an american anti-tank weapon. This was done to combat the issues with creating historically accurate tanks & issues in general with tank combat in the pacific. If they did have both an American tank & a Japanese tank it would create a VERY unbalanced playing field for the Japanese.
In fact Japanese tanks historically were so poor that they actually buried them and used them as static gun emplacements. The reason behind this was because of the invasion of China. They didn't see large amounts resistance against tanks (The Chinese didn't really have any effective weapons against tanks), so the Japanese didn't see much need for improvement or development of new tank designs going behind the fire-support & Light tank roles. This caused them to lack adequate tanks to be used against the Americans.

Upvote 0
Let's face it, unless a miracle happens we're not having a drivable tank in Rising Storm anytime soon, if ever.
Everyone's too busy/uninterested, and it would take me another year just to get a beginner's knowledge of how all this works.

So I wanted to go after the next best thing: the fully completed model/texture.
Even if it never appears in the actual game it would be incredibly useful to have.

EDIT: Well, maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic.

You guys were talking about the Panzer source code, where did you get it? I want to take a look myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let's face it, unless a miracle happens we're not having a drivable tank in Rising Storm anytime soon, if ever.
Everyone's too busy/uninterested, and it would take me another year just to get a beginner's knowledge of how all this works.

So I wanted to go after the next best thing: the fully completed model/texture.
Even if it never appears in the actual game it would be incredibly useful to have.

EDIT: Well, maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic.

You guys were talking about the Panzer source code, where did you get it? I want to take a look myself.

The source files are in:
Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra 2\Development\Src
From there take a look at both ROGame & ROGameContent for the tank files. If you're going to mess around in there I'd recommend copying the Src Folder, and modify that, as the content there is best not to be messed with. I can't remember if it is just there for reference or the game actually uses those files.
No guarantees But I'll take a look into the tank again if I can spare some time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man, nobody seems to have any time whatsoever.
At least it's better than Sleeping Dogs where people have time but they just don't care.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I took a look at the Panzer files, and it doesn't really seem that complicated, but there's a lot of it.

The hard part will be figuring out exactly where to start. I don't even know how to make a basic reskin, much less a whole custom game mode. I'll have to learn the whole process from scratch.

Upvote 0
Man, nobody seems to have any time whatsoever.
At least it's better than Sleeping Dogs where people have time but they just don't care.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I took a look at the Panzer files, and it doesn't really seem that complicated, but there's a lot of it.

The hard part will be figuring out exactly where to start. I don't even know how to make a basic reskin, much less a whole custom game mode. I'll have to learn the whole process from scratch.

I can provide some help, I'm quite busy lately but next week should open up quite a bit.
Most of it is just the amount, not the difficulty. Use the Panzer 3 or whatever seems closest, and base it off of that.
I can help you with the fine details later on. I might be able to get a hold of a friend who'd the texturing.
and when I mean base it off of that I mean literally copy the Src file and start modifying it/integrating with the existing ha-go files.
It's best to compile the required files, whatever they may be, from the Src folder, and start working.
Later on, I may put a tutorial up on how to Modify a weapon, which also would help you with understanding how Unreal Engine works (I'm no expert, but I'm better than the average person).
Add me on Steam, and I should be able to help you early next week (I think).

Upvote 0
start working

Easier said than done. How exactly do I even start? Just modify the files in the src folder? Do I copy them somewhere else? Do I have to do something with cooking/brewing or some other complicated kitchen business?

Please add me, you don't have your profile linked.

EDIT: Okay, I'm an idiot. I was looking in src/ROGame this whole time, I didn't even see the src/RSGame folder.

EDIT: Mother of god. There is a TON of amazing unused stuff in there! It'll take a week just to process it all!
There's so much stuff I'll have to make a separate thread.

But for this thread, for the tank, we're in incredible luck. These files here:

Src/RSGame/Classes/RSVehicle_Type95.uc
Src/RSGame/Classes/RSVWeap_Type95_HullMG.uc
Src/RSGame/Classes/RSVWeap_Type95_Turret.uc
Src/RSGame/Classes/VehProj_Type95_AP.uc
Src/RSGame/Classes/VehProj_Type95_HE.uc
Src/RSGameContent/Classes/RSAxisPawnTanker.uc
Src/RSGameContent/Classes/RSVehicle_Type95_Content.uc
Src/RSGameContent/Classes/RSVehicleDeathTurret_Hago.uc

Were all created by Sandor "Szeder" Sebastian in 2011, and they are all filled with code!
It's not just placeholder code either, from what I can tell it's already been adjusted for the Ha-Go.

The more I look into this, the more I start to hope this could very well be possible.

90% of the work is already done, we just need to clean it up a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not just placeholder code either, from what I can tell it's already been adjusted for the Ha-Go.

The more I look into this, the more I start to hope this could very well be possible.

90% of the work is already done, we just need to clean it up a bit.
Guys from RS Team said that in certaint stage of the closed beta they tested tanks on Peleliu map, so they they should be more or less usable.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1264509&postcount=12

Last edited:
Upvote 0