• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poll: Should the AR-15 have a full auto fire select option?

Poll: Should the AR-15 have a full auto fire select option?

• Total voters
Feathering your fire button pretty much gives you full-auto functionality anyway.

Being that the AR-15 is our starting and (presumably) weakest rifle I think being limited to semi-auto or 3-round burst is a good choice. With the newer player in mind forcing those 2 options should, in theory, cut down on the amount of wasted shots. Even if the person fires of a couple bursts at a clot, if they were in full-auto that'd probably be an entire mag dumped.

Considering that the L85, AK12 and SCAR all possess full-auto capability, we're not exactly being hindered in our choices.

Upvote 0
We're going to get an M4 rifle down the line with full-auto enabled, if the voice options so far are anything to go by. But the AR-15 Varmint rifle is, by definition, a civilian gun. No full auto, and it's even chambered in 9mm instead of the more common 5.56 Nato rounds.

If Tripwire wanted us to have a full-auto gun to start with, they would have called it an M4 and been done with it. Personally, I like the varmit rifle a lot how it is, I think it being forced bust/single fire spices up the gameplay a lot. And it makes me feel like my character just bought some store-bought gun from home, makes me feel like these are actually a bunch of civilian fighters who have jumped into a warzone, which is what they are.

Regardless, I don't think they're going to give it a full-auto option. If only to stay true to it being a civilian gun.

At least pop us an M4 then if AR 15 does not go full auto.

all of you realize that the M4 itself is a burst/semi rifle right??? No M4 that exists goes full auto.

and really, I WISH I could get a burst fire gun in the store, but no it's illegal. the Colt 9mm SMG in game is a military weapon through and through...

And not to mention on the SMG ITSELF, the 3 fire selector positions are auto/semi/safe. There is literally no reason to not have an auto function if you're going MUH REALISMS. Not civilian. Not burst. All auto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only problem with the starting Commando weapon, in my opinion, are the words. First, it is not a "varmint" gun. That is just incorrect. Second, while there are 9mm AR15's (Colt has been making one for a long time).

f9Xor0e.png

Due to the modularity of AR parts, it didn't take long before someone had put together an fully auto capable 9mm AR.

So, Colt started making the "Colt 9mm submachine gun"
<a href="http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Military/Products/Colt9mmSubmachineGun(SMG).aspx#102357-technical-specifications" target="_blank">[url]http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Military/Products/Colt9mmSubmachineGun(SMG).aspx#102357-technical-specifications[/URL]

Note that the model number R0992 has a selector that goes from safe to semiauto to burst fire, while the R0991 offers safe, semi and full auto modes.

So, the device exists but under a different name.

Upvote 0
The only problem with the starting Commando weapon, in my opinion, are the words. First, it is not a "varmint" gun. That is just incorrect. Second, while there are 9mm AR15's (Colt has been making one for a long time).

f9Xor0e.png

Due to the modularity of AR parts, it didn't take long before someone had put together an fully auto capable 9mm AR.

<a href="http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Military/Products/Colt9mmSubmachineGun(SMG).aspx#102357-technical-specifications" target="_blank">[url]http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Military/Products/Colt9mmSubmachineGun(SMG).aspx#102357-technical-specifications[/URL]

Note that the model number R0992 has a selector that goes from safe to semiauto to burst fire, while the R0991 offers safe, semi and full auto modes.

yep. They just need to admit it's a military weapon and fix the labeling of the fire selector... maybe reduce the recoil :D

Upvote 0
No...its the only gun where fire selector makes sense and it suits the gun...it is the most satisfying t1 weapon to use...

with fullauto....nobody would ever bother with anything else...this way burst option is at least viable

if anything (realism aside) other guns should go to full auto + burst...since semi-auto is stupid on anything that has full-auto option

Im no agreed with you saying its stupid the semiauto because of full auto, because its a personal choice. Some times, when zeds (or players in other games) are far away, semi auto its best than burst or full auto.

The best way to feel it is with high rps guns like the bullpup or scar-h

As for the ar15, it could use fullauto, i dont think it could render it op. Its dmg is low, recoilish, and small 20 mag, so you would be reloading more time than firing if over using it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im no agreed with you saying its stupid the semiauto because of full auto, because its a personal choice. Some times, when zeds (or players in other games) are far away, semi auto its best than burst or full auto.

The best way to feel it is with high rps guns like the bullpup or scar-h

I can fire 1 bullet just fine with those on full auto

the only gun I ever change fire mode is AR15...

Upvote 0
Key words are "personal choice" ;)

it is not even contention here anyway...

people are complaining about AR-15

the gun has such slow ROF that even slowest tapper can fire it at full speed on semi-auto

burst fire is just there as a more newbie frienldy option...because putting fullauto on 20-bullet starter gun isnt the wisest thing ever

Upvote 0
Bolded statement is simply untrue. Bullpup has larger mags, more damage, better optics. Full auto has no effect on balance.

As far "realism" arguments, it can be an illegally modified weapon since we're in the zed apocalypse and all. Or we can argue that Tripwire isn't going for full realism seeing as how fire selection causes the AK-12 to magically shoot faster.

Realism arguments are a bit silly in that light, and fire selection is a comfort preference and doesn't really affect balance.

I just googled AR-15 full auto and there are links to buy conversion kits and youtube videos showing people firing the gun in full auto.

The AK12 and other rifles that use burst actually perform this way in real life. A little research shows that the rifle fires in 650 RPM in full auto and 1000 RPM in burst mode. Most burst rifles behave this way.

Upvote 0
No, for one very specific reason:

There are no real AR-15's with a full-auto feature.

In the gun world, the term "AR-15" refers to a semi-automatic rifle in that classic M16 configuration.

The entire point of an AR-15 is that it's the same as an M16 or M4 rifle, but easier for civilians to own because you can't fire it full-auto. Hell, most don't even have a "burst" option. The majority of AR-15s on the market are semi-auto, only, because if they weren't then most people wouldn't be able to buy them.

We're going to get an M4 rifle down the line with full-auto enabled, if the voice options so far are anything to go by. But the AR-15 Varmint rifle is, by definition, a civilian gun. No full auto, and it's even chambered in 9mm instead of the more common 5.56 Nato rounds.

Also, in terms of balance, if it had a full auto feature, there'd be pretty much no reason to use the Bullpup and instead just skip straight to the Kalashnikov.

You realize it's not that hard to mod a semi auto gun into full auto right? People actually do it. It's also why bans on full auto guns are a worthless endeavor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

-image snip-

This could be more in line with avoiding copyright than an actual inaccuracy. After all, Colt is a registered trademark, doing a label-for-label copy might be subject to some lawyer probing.

Regardless, the point of this thread is that people want a full-auto AR-15, which kind of goes against it being an AR-15 in the first place.

The devs are self-proclaimed gun-nuts and proud of it. I think they made their intentions very clear when they specifically named the gun "AR-15" instead of "M4" or "M16". In the guns world, an AR-15 is not fully automatic.

Yes, you can mod them to go full auto, but at their base state they're considered a semi-auto/burst fire rifle. If TWI wanted the Commando to start with a fully automatic weapon, I doubt they would have gone out of their way to point out that it was an AR-15.

Upvote 0
all of you realize that the M4 itself is a burst/semi rifle right??? No M4 that exists goes full auto.

and really, I WISH I could get a burst fire gun in the store, but no it's illegal. the Colt 9mm SMG in game is a military weapon through and through...

And not to mention on the SMG ITSELF, the 3 fire selector positions are auto/semi/safe. There is literally no reason to not have an auto function if you're going MUH REALISMS. Not civilian. Not burst. All auto.

Do you even know what you are talking about?

All M4A1 in use by the US military are full auto capable.

Also noone uses 9mm AR15s in the tactical world, much much better guns out there that serve that purpose. Hell even Sig is launching a SMG with a closed bolt feature.

The original AR15 was designed around a true rifle round, not some trash german pistol round. Using it in place of an SMG is retarded. However it fits the games purpose of a cheap starter weapon. The commando class is all about assault rifles and the AR15 regardless of caliber choice will look like an assault rifle, even if it has a .22LR conversion kit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Full auto, nah.

They just need to make the burst fire mode not be terrible. It should be a maximum burst of three, not a forced three. So you can shoot one or two rounds on burst mode with a short tap of the trigger. This is realistic, but far far more importantly, it's much better for gameplay.
The entire reason the concept of burst exists is to be more deliberate than full auto. But when you make it a forced three instead of just a maximum of three, firing bullets when you aren't pulling the trigger anymore, that achieves exactly the opposite effect of deliberacy.
I thought TWI was better than to make this mistake that ruins burst fire in so many other games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0