• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please To Make Map Show Where Is Boundary Mine Field

Hell! I can exploit and not be in a minefield. And why do we need signs that say minefield when a big thing in the corner of your screen says WARNING YOU HAVE ENTERED A MINEFIELD OR WARNING YOUR IN A SPAWN AREA

It's not that big. The only time I've actually seen it was when I purposely drove into a minefield area and looked for a message. While playing the game the first indication is usually the unexpected death.

Upvote 0
why you all say is happen when i try to cheat? i do not cheat! i try to fight good and some time it look like edge is good place to be. there is map i forget name of this map but is have trenches (is name of basovka? barashka? something like this. germany start in field and must capture anti tank guns in trench as number one objective then they continue and must take small house for final objective. grass is color of wheat but is not "wheat graphics".).
always it is like enemy who is hide in grass at edge of map kill me! i try to sneak to him to fight him by crawl and i die of explode of mine field. you will try this and see it is not a cheat!
it happen like this in much map i play. i try just to play a good strategy make a flank but i die. :( is problem yes?

Upvote 0
you say i am cheater? :mad: map is very big is hard to know where is place to go and where is place not to go! but sneaky players know secret paths to kill me so i must find them too yes?
i say: do not put a mine sign in game! just please to give EXTRA warning when we are near to minefield before we are inside.
how this is bad idea? :confused:

Remember that the objective is to be inside the capzones, either defending or making your way into them to cap them. I"ve never had a problem with the minefields when the team works together on the objectives. Try to get some organization going on with the team and move in together, rather than trying to go around the outside of the map. That "sneaky" player hiding somewhere is probably in a completely useless place if he is not in the capzone, and better for your team if he is hiding someplace and not helping his team defend or attack. Try to go a different direction, so that he can stay there and your team can cap easier.

Upvote 0
Statements like "only cheaters are killed by the minefields" are complete garbage. It is called FLANKING. If I have an enemy I want to get around and the ground to that side appears passable then I would be an idiot NOT to go there.

The notification is far too short on some maps. This is 4X as true in vehicles. Try stopping that tank and getting clear as soon as that warning appears.. not going to happen.

It is also not a matter of staying away from the edges as the playable area on many maps is much smaller than the map itself. Black Day in July has this problem in spades for the Russians!

There is no reason that the map can not have darkenned areas shown that are minefields.

Upvote 0
Just place those nice little german marker flags where the mines are. Or even better, let the Sturmpioniers place those things.

m1.jpg

Larger one:

http://ww2army.com/images/1-999/956/1.jpg
http://ww2army.com/images/1-999/956/m1.jpg

Upvote 0
Why not simply do away with the minefeilds. It seems silly that in a game with as much realism as RO boasts that such a artificial limitation should exist at all.

So what are you suggesting? That we can load up Arad and drive our T34 all the way to Spain? Minefields are used instead of huge cliffs, fences, rivers, walls, etc. to stop players from exiting the boundries of the map. On a map like Arad, for example, it would look silly if there were cliffs all around the map to stop players from getting out. Having a minefield allows the map to look really open while still keeping players concentrated on the objectives. I do think the minefields on Arad should have a longer kill time though.

The other way minefields are used is to stop players from entering spawn areas. The alternatives to this are not nearly as good. No spawn protection at all is out of the question. One-way ramps don't work for every situation. An invisible wall would be silly. What other choices do mappers have? In my opinion minefields are the best option we have in many situations.

Upvote 0
So what are you suggesting? That we can load up Arad and drive our T34 all the way to Spain? Minefields are used instead of huge cliffs, fences, rivers, walls, etc. to stop players from exiting the boundries of the map. On a map like Arad, for example, it would look silly if there were cliffs all around the map to stop players from getting out. Having a minefield allows the map to look really open while still keeping players concentrated on the objectives.

I don't want the map to look open I want it to be open.

The other way minefields are used is to stop players from entering spawn areas. The alternatives to this are not nearly as good. No spawn protection at all is out of the question. One-way ramps don't work for every situation. An invisible wall would be silly. What other choices do mappers have? In my opinion minefields are the best option we have in many situations.

Minefields to protect the spawn areas are okay. Minefields suddenly cropping up as an objective changes hands is just plain silly.

Upvote 0
I don't want the map to look open I want it to be open.

Even Orel has minefields at the edges of the map. I bet even WWIIOL (never played it) has something similar if you try to fly off the play area. Mappers have a lot of things to worry about like FPS, gameplay, objectives, map flow, etc. Just imagine how much work it would take to extend a map like Arad a couple kilometers in every direction, and for what gain? You would have to make more objectives, take out detail to keep it running smoothly, rebalance the entire map, increase the time limit, add moving spawns, etc. What would be gained from all of this and would it be worth it?

killdozer said:
Minefields to protect the spawn areas are okay. Minefields suddenly cropping up as an objective changes hands is just plain silly.

Those minefields that spring up are also spawn protection minefields most of the time. Most maps use advancing spawns to keep the distances from spawn to the objectives fairly even. When the spawns move up/back so will the minefields protecting them. For example on Basovka the Allies spawn in a bunker in the middle of the map. After the Germans take the AT gun and that bunker they start to spawn there. The minefields will move up to protect that new spawn.

Upvote 0
if you die in a minefield its mostly because you are trying to exploit the map by going where you shouldnt...

Hrm... There are places in Arad, that are mined that make no sense. Usually to the far upper left and lower right fields where it would give you a clear field of fire. Since most of the time you are bumping against the tree boundries it makes no sense those areas are mined since they are really not that near the spawn points.

And in Muddy tigers they put some weird minefields way away from the spawn points that would simply give you a larger distance. It really makes no sense to limit the map like that since you can see the map edges anyways.

Upvote 0
Even Orel has minefields at the edges of the map. I bet even WWIIOL (never played it) has something similar if you try to fly off the play area. Mappers have a lot of things to worry about like FPS, gameplay, objectives, map flow, etc. Just imagine how much work it would take to extend a map like Arad a couple kilometers in every direction, and for what gain? You would have to make more objectives, take out detail to keep it running smoothly, rebalance the entire map, increase the time limit, add moving spawns, etc. What would be gained from all of this and would it be worth it?

The mine feilds are too close to the play area in most cases.

Those minefields that spring up are also spawn protection minefields most of the time. Most maps use advancing spawns to keep the distances from spawn to the objectives fairly even. When the spawns move up/back so will the minefields protecting them. For example on Basovka the Allies spawn in a bunker in the middle of the map. After the Germans take the AT gun and that bunker they start to spawn there. The minefields will move up to protect that new spawn.

I think that enemy spawn areas should be cappable(if that's a word) objectives. I think the whole point should be to drive the enemy off the map. I have another idea I think we should dispense with the cap zones being the only goal and make the main point of the match to bleed the other team out to zero reinforcements. So that even if your team manages to secure all the capzones the game's not over as long as the other team has troops on the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that minefields are a big problem, especially when unmarked in anyway.

It is annoying that some maps are huge and yet the playable, unmined areas are so small, with there being no indication that a minefield is present.

Those who say that flanking is cheating, really should brush up more on combat tactics.

Those who say that markings on a map are unrealistic, really need to think again. In reality friendly troops would have positions of their minefields shown on their maps.

There would also be minefields on the approaches to capturable points not just on the flanks.

Minefields usually have marked boundaries facing friendly troops, just in case they don't have a map.

In game, however, a lot of the problems are down to the mapper.

How annoying is it to have a visible map boundary, say a forest, and yet a minefield starts 30 yards before it! Its a shame really that even on official maps the mapper has been lazy regarding the application of minefields, and cues to stop the players from entering them.

The activation time for a minefield needs extending to at least 30 secs, apart from spawn protection. An audio cue would also be handy for those times when you're in a vehicle, looking at the map and blunder into a mined zone. "Achtung Minen!" would grab my attention more quickly than the text message.

Upvote 0