• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please no 90 fps cap in RO2

:rolleyes: I'm going to jump in and say. If you think 250fps on a 60hz monitor is smother than 60fps on said monitor, then you fps counter is giving you a placebo effect.

LIES!!!! I have detected your lies and shall now attempt to depose you from your throne of dishonesty.

I have composed this stunning photograph to explain why >60 fps on a 60Hz monitor is advantageous.

1zxb6np.jpg

With a frame rate of 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, the maximum lag you'll get is 16.67ms. Increase that to 90 and the max lag drops to 11.1ms. From my experiences with latency issues, I can feel latency down to about 4 or 5 ms although it does vary from person-to-person and below 10ms feels pretty much instantaneous anyway.

edit: just to agree with some other posters; the frame rate is client-side so it doesn't matter whether somebody has 1fps or 1000fps, the server will not be affected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but, in the end i see NO reason for a framerate limit, it doesnt help or do anything.

It does actually. It helps keep your computer from overworking. If you're getting 500fps then your video card is busting it's butt to move as fast as it can for next to no benefit to you. If it's capped at 90, there is no significant downside since you wont be able to notice any difference and anything higher is absolutely irrelevant in terms of gameplay, but your video card won't have to overwork itself. When I was working on a game at my last job I noticed that my computer was overheating a lot, so I monitored my temps in CCC and noticed that it was under 100% load even at the early stages of the game's development, and that I was getting 2000+ fps. I shoved a frame rate limiter script into the game, and the load on the GPU was almost negligible, and the temperatures didn't rise more than 5 degrees.

So all you guys with hundred+ fps shticks should keep in mind that you're probably shortening the lifetime of your video card, increasing your power consumption, and heating up your room just so you can see a higher number on your fps counter.

Upvote 0
It does actually. It helps keep your computer from overworking. If you're getting 500fps then your video card is busting it's butt to move as fast as it can for next to no benefit to you. If it's capped at 90, there is no significant downside since you wont be able to notice any difference and anything higher is absolutely irrelevant in terms of gameplay, but your video card won't have to overwork itself. When I was working on a game at my last job I noticed that my computer was overheating a lot, so I monitored my temps in CCC and noticed that it was under 100% load even at the early stages of the game's development, and that I was getting 2000+ fps. I shoved a frame rate limiter script into the game, and the load on the GPU was almost negligible, and the temperatures didn't rise more than 5 degrees.

So all you guys with hundred+ fps shticks should keep in mind that you're probably shortening the lifetime of your video card, increasing your power consumption, and heating up your room just so you can see a higher number on your fps counter.
I'm always laughing about guys who state such stuff without actually having tried for example 120Hz monitor with that fps also. Because clearly you are amongst the guys who haven't done that.

Ok, so next time I have too many fps in a game and there is no limiter present, I will go and start some gpu intensive tasks so my fps and hence also my load goes down :p
Edit: Nah, of course I know what you mean and you are right, but threatening people with lifetime is a bit silly. If I play a beast of a game, where my grafikcard can hardly maintain 30fps, it can give you the same, or even worse effect (heat/load) compared to a game where I get 2000 fps. And we are not even talking about that areas. It's about 100 or 120 maybe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sigh...

The human eye cannot see above 60hz refresh rate on a monitor. Period. The end. This is a fact. Dispute this if you want, it'll be like trying to argue that fire isn't hot.

And your source on this "fact" is? This thing has been argued over and over. The arguement is always the same, only the numbers change. 24, 30, 60, 90...

Just change the cap to 120 FPS, everyone will be happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm always laughing about guys who state such stuff without actually having tried for example 120Hz monitor with that fps also. Because clearly you are amongst the guys who haven't done that.

Ok, so next time I have too many fps in a game and there is no limiter present, I will go and start some gpu intensive tasks so my fps and hence also my load goes down :p
Edit: Nah, of course I know what you mean and you are right, but threatening people with lifetime is a bit silly. If I play a beast of a game, where my grafikcard can hardly maintain 30fps, it can give you the same, or even worse effect (heat/load) compared to a game where I get 2000 fps. And we are not even talking about that areas. It's about 100 or 120 maybe.

I'll give you that. I wasn't really thinking of 120hz monitors to be honest. I don't even know why people really want those though :/ Still, 120fps cap then!

And yeah, 100% load is going to work your GPU just as hard when struggling to render 30 fps as it is struggling to render 1000fps, but the my point was that in the latter case its being done needlessly.

Upvote 0
i get about 200 fps in both games, and to have give up over 100 fps while playing online is a shame, also. I just played kf and noticed my fps drops to 30-40 quite alot in heavy firefights, in solo fps stays 80+ in a mass of zombies..

Please forgive my ignorance here, as I don't pretend to know much about this sort of thing.

It occurs to me, however, that it doesn't make much sense that a cap on the game's frame rate would have the effect described above. My (potentially faulty) logic dictates that if the game is capped at 90 FPS then you should be getting 90 FPS in multi player unless your PCs hardware combination and settings just cannot keep up. I find it difficult to understand that your hardware is providing output as a percentage of the built in FPS cap. If your PC can do 200 in multiplayer and the game is capped at 90, then you should be sitting at a solid 90. I would think that if the cap were removed you'd still be looking at 30-40 in MP as that's what your hardware can manage at the settings you play on. Or so it seems to me.

Someone please explain where my logic is failing me, if it is, in fact, doing so.

Upvote 0
You cant even see past 62FPS. The human eye works at that speed I believe. Why would you want more than 90? It gives you nothing apart from bragging rights and also overheating and frying your graphics card. I fried my 8800GTX x2 SLi in the days of Crysis Warhead because the menu wasnt capped and it ran the menu at 8000 fps and instantly fried both of them trying to refresh that fast.

There are reasons for FPS caps, they aren't just to say "LOL YOU ARE LIMITED LOLOLOLOL" to the player. They are to stop stuff like what happened to me happening.

Upvote 0
You cant even see past 62FPS. The human eye works at that speed I believe. Why would you want more than 90? It gives you nothing apart from bragging rights and also overheating and frying your graphics card. I fried my 8800GTX x2 SLi in the days of Crysis Warhead because the menu wasnt capped and it ran the menu at 8000 fps and instantly fried both of them trying to refresh that fast.

There are reasons for FPS caps, they aren't just to say "LOL YOU ARE LIMITED LOLOLOLOL" to the player. They are to stop stuff like what happened to me happening.

60 fps is enough for fluid motion.
The eye doesn't work in fps, very differently apparently.

Instead of explaining this over and over again. Look it up and find your proof. above 60 fps it is very fluid, but something moving from left to right still isn't the same as a real life something moving from left to right.

Tjhat was the easiest example.

Upvote 0
The cap is there as a result of the Unreal engine. ALL UE games I've played have had a 90fps limit on them, but it isn't hard to disable.

Just search on the internet for tweak guides for any UE3 game that has come out in the last couple years and the same thing will work with RO2 to disable the FPS limit.

Even IF the game launches with the FPS limit, which is will since it is UE3, there may very well be an in-game option to disable it. Even if there isn't an in-game checkbox you can open up the .ini and tweak what you like.

Upvote 0
LIES!!!! I have detected your lies and shall now attempt to depose you from your throne of dishonesty.

I have composed this stunning photograph to explain why >60 fps on a 60Hz monitor is advantageous.

1zxb6np.jpg

With a frame rate of 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, the maximum lag you'll get is 16.67ms. Increase that to 90 and the max lag drops to 11.1ms. From my experiences with latency issues, I can feel latency down to about 4 or 5 ms although it does vary from person-to-person and below 10ms feels pretty much instantaneous anyway.

edit: just to agree with some other posters; the frame rate is client-side so it doesn't matter whether somebody has 1fps or 1000fps, the server will not be affected.
Enable vsync ;)

Upvote 0
my monitor goes up to 75hz, i can play at 60fps just fine with no reduction in fluidity.

it doesn't matter if your monitor goes up to 300hz, you will not see any difference above 60-70fps.

hopefully they have a setting somewhere in the ini that dictates the cap. cause i don't want to waste extra processing power and energy because some people want their triple digit fps to compare e-peen.

Reactions: Fleshreaper
Upvote 0
my monitor goes up to 75hz, i can play at 60fps just fine with no reduction in fluidity.

it doesn't matter if your monitor goes up to 300hz, you will not see any difference above 60-70fps.

hopefully they have a setting somewhere in the ini that dictates the cap. cause i don't want to waste extra processing power and energy because some people want their triple digit fps to compare e-peen.

*facepalm*

Seriously, go and try 120Hz. You might not see a difference, but you will instantly feel something is different just by moving your mouse on your desktop.
So can all deniers please stop making assumptions without having first hand experience?

Upvote 0