• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please no 90 fps cap in RO2

teemu92

Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2011
Finland
www.youtube.com
As the title says, RO1 & Killing Floor have this 90 framerate cap, why i dont like it? well when i play ro1 or kf in practice or solo mode, i get about 200 fps in both games, and to have give up over 100 fps while playing online is a shame, also. I just played kf and noticed my fps drops to 30-40 quite alot in heavy firefights, in solo fps stays 80+ in a mass of zombies.

So i hope ro2 doesnt have these silly fps caps, this isnt console guys, let us have the full power of our pc, dont limit it to 90. Thanks.

As the title says, RO1 & Killing Floor have this 90 framerate cap, why i dont like it? well when i play ro1 or kf in practice or solo mode, i get about 200 fps in both games, and to have give up over 100 fps while playing online is a shame, also. I just played kf and noticed my fps drops to 30-40 quite alot in heavy firefights, in solo fps stays 80+ in a mass of zombies.

So i hope ro2 doesnt have these silly fps caps, this isnt console guys, let us have the full power of our pc, dont limit it to 90. Thanks.

What is the refreshrate of your monitor?
Whatever it is, you don't need more than that.

Upvote 0
I think it might have something to do with putting less strain on the servers while playing multiplayer, limiting the amount of information to be sent to or received by the players. I could be wrong though...

Either way, I don't mind being capped at 90 fps: it doesn't affect gameplay, graphics or overall "flow" of the game,and it spares my processor ;).

As Rrralphster said, it's kind of pointless to surpass your monitor's refresh rate (I'm guessing it's at 60 Hz [fps]).

Upvote 0
What is the refreshrate of your monitor?
Whatever it is, you don't need more than that.

FPS affects more than just the display output generally. And when running on 60fps beside only seeing a frame every 1/60th second the frames that you see could be another 1/60th second old as it was stored in the buffer. So there are reasons to have higher fps than your monitors refreshrate.

Personally I have 120hz monitors so in that sense a limit above 90 makes sense :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a friend who was so obsessed with having over 9000fps all the time... so much that it would ruin our games when he'd drop out in a right stroppy mood because he couldn't meet the needs of just one part of his superiority complex. Anyway, I can't see why you'd need a frame rate greater than 30-60fps, unless you're planned to film stuff in ultra-slow-motion which isn't the case with most people.

Upvote 0
I can see why it could be irritating when you have a computer which exceeds the requirements yet you're FPS is still not that good. I would love to play online with 200 fps. You would do so good...
more fps wont give you an advantage really, unless its the quake engine where you can jump further and you get more bullets out faster from you gun and stuff

Upvote 0
I had a friend who was so obsessed with having over 9000fps all the time... so much that it would ruin our games when he'd drop out in a right stroppy mood because he couldn't meet the needs of just one part of his superiority complex. Anyway, I can't see why you'd need a frame rate greater than 30-60fps, unless you're planned to film stuff in ultra-slow-motion which isn't the case with most people.

or just filming stuff in general. Fraps tends to eat up your extra system resources badly...

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: I'm going to jump in and say. If you think 250fps on a 60hz monitor is smother than 60fps on said monitor, then you fps counter is giving you a placebo effect.

As for limiting it I see the reason for it, but its better that its not then people will then stop complain. People that don't want to put unneeded stress on their card cant use vsync or maybe change some .ini

Or limit it to 120hz, so the few 120hz people can be happy. If anyone says thats not enough stop looking at fraps, or show me a monitor with more than 120hz.

have you tried playing 30 fps? its choppy as hell, so no thanks

I can agree here (yes I cant see the difference without an fps counter.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sigh...

The human eye cannot see above 60hz refresh rate on a monitor. Period. The end. This is a fact. Dispute this if you want, it'll be like trying to argue that fire isn't hot.

It makes all the sense in the world to limit it to the 60s to 70s range. Less strain on hardware and server feedback means less power consumption and heat output.

I find it completely logical, not to mention economical, to cap the frame rate versus the irrational or ignorant argument that you need all the fps you can get. You don't.

Upvote 0