• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PCGAMER RO2 screenshots. New? Hmm.

I have a subtle feeling that the PC Gamer people are totally aware that these are old screenshots ... they are just trying to create more exposure for RO2 which is great. Hopefully TWI will give them something legitimately new to show soon ;)

I do realize this. Only reason I thought this was odd is because I thought that they already posted these screenshots on their website.

Upvote 0
Is that trailer pre-rendered or not, I can't tell. On one hand, the visuals look on par with what we've seen from the gameplay, on the other hand the animations (particularly the sniper-behind-cover animations around 1 minute in) look too good to be from in-game.

I'll bet you it's in-engine, and not in-game.

Or in other words, it's all done in the editor, and robably because when this teaser was made, half the stuff you see in there wasen't finished yet.

It's different from "pre-rendered" though, because an in-engine video does show you the real graphics of the game, all the models and effects that are used are the same as the ones used in real time by the game, though a lot of the animation work might not be.

Pre-rendering is usually used to make cutscenes (as in video ones, not the "we're taking control of the camera to show you something" ones), you know how cutscenes can have a 100 times better graphics than the game? That's pre-rendered, that's when they make models and textures that are a ton better than the ones used in the game, and has a render-farm process them into a video.

Sadly, we sometimes do see developers try to pass of pre-rendered work as if it where the game in their marketing, i know EA has certainly pulled that stunt a fair few times for their TV commercials.

Upvote 0
I'll bet you it's in-engine, and not in-game.

Or in other words, it's all done in the editor, and robably because when this teaser was made, half the stuff you see in there wasen't finished yet.

It's different from "pre-rendered" though, because an in-engine video does show you the real graphics of the game, all the models and effects that are used are the same as the ones used in real time by the game, though a lot of the animation work might not be.

Pre-rendering is usually used to make cutscenes (as in video ones, not the "we're taking control of the camera to show you something" ones), you know how cutscenes can have a 100 times better graphics than the game? That's pre-rendered, that's when they make models and textures that are a ton better than the ones used in the game, and has a render-farm process them into a video.

Sadly, we sometimes do see developers try to pass of pre-rendered work as if it where the game in their marketing, i know EA has certainly pulled that stunt a fair few times for their TV commercials.

Yeah, thanks, I know what pre-rendering is, I just wasn't sure what I was looking at in this case. Normally a trailer is either pure gameplay footage or properly pre-rendered, not something in between.

Upvote 0