• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Pavlov's House

I'm really satisfied with your work, Schutze! I mean, there are only three maps which I really want to see with no arcade-crap/cheesy hollywood BS. One of them is Brest, the other is Sevastopol and the last is Pavlov's house.
You sir, did make me happy! :)

As a side note,
only ppsh for commander.
I'd say, most of them had PPSh. Also, Pavlov mentioned that when they (I mean, everyone) had like 10-12 greandes. Russians loved nade-spamming. :) But that doesn't mean you have to follow this path. I think yuor loadouts are good.

Upvote 0
cool slyky! yup the stug E would fit this map like a glove, and i have a plan by pavlov, mentioning the exact emplacement of an 45mm gun (but obviously we cant have the gun spawn in on the exact same location over and over)

and i never thought of making the map up to the volga, i dont really know how far away it is. and i believe the germans never even got to there, but it is something to think about.

and about the attacks on several flanks, do you think it is possible to create a third group of soldiers? atm we have 2, infantry and tankers. could we have 2 infantry groups?? with each their own spawnpoints?
as the russians have no tankers here, we could use them instead. so there would be a pavlov team( who always spawns in behind house, and must defend house) and a assault team who must prevent the germans to reach the house...
but that is all just an idea :)

- 45mm. If you have a location, you can easily pick out 2+ more and use the random code to vary where they spawn. Basically you will set up the factories, 2, 3, 4 etc, then set a 'group' of AT guns. Say "ATGroup1" and then set a flag for "1" of "5" factories. That will spawn ONE gun at 1 of 5 potential locations in that group, "ATGroup1". You can then set up as many groups as necessary for each AT gun you want to use. So plan ahead and scope out some areas. You can use the current guns but realize that once the new code is released, you will have to reinsert the factories.

- Up to the Volga, I think would offer a big challenge to you and the players. You may not want to go to the edge of the bank, but I think it could be an option. What I would do with the Russian spawns, as I think "groups" is beyond our current abilities... I would just split the spawns. Half to the north, half to the south. The game will randomly respawn players on either side and that in itself will present a challenge to both teams. It's an idea. Take it for what it is worth and how it will impact the overall project. You essentially have two options, make the fight for the house, or the what-if battle for the house and beyond. I'm into "Epic" so I'd go for more. ;)

Upvote 0
Couple of points here:

Slyk recommends stretching the map to the Volga. Well he would, wouldn't he? :p No disrespect to Slyk intended but he is renowned for, erm, 'generously proportioned' maps. Sepp, keep to a scale that allows the kinda gameplay you want. There is as much place for a snappy 3-minute pop single as there is for a 70's prog-rock concept track with a 45-minute drum solo. :D

245 StuG Abt. was further North at this time - in fact some of their guys are going to be attacking the Kommissarhaus in a scenario set about a fortnight earlier than this one. :D Maybe Wilsonam can give you the name of a StuG unit that was operating nearer the centre.

The plan showing the disposition of the soldiers in the house is wildly inaccurate in a lot of respects but I think it does show a lot of 'automatic' weapons - I am guessing these are mostly PaPaSha's.

Upvote 0
nestor, what would you think if i would send you the pavlov's house building, and you could take care of the interior?? the outside and the first floor is done according to the plans and pictures, but for the other floors i have used my immagination.
so if you want, i could send you the map with only the house on it, and you could do the interior. that would really help me out!

Upvote 0
*Stop Press*

Just reading 'Stalingrad - How the Red Army Triumphed' by Michael Jones nd it has a section on Pavlov's House.

He uses interviews with one of the guys who was there and other 'concerned parties' to bust a few Soviet propaganda myths:

• Pavlov was not the senior NCO/ CO in the building for most of the 58 days - the actual commander there for most of that time was a Lieutenant Naumov.
  • The house was not defended by just 24 men all that time - troops regularly came via the communication trenches meaning that, at times, there were 70 or even 100 guys garrisoning the building.
  • The siege did not end on the 24th November (there was no '58 days') - what happene was the Soviets attempted an ill-fated ssault on the 'Milk House' across the square and got pwned. Naumov was killed, Pavlov injured and many men lost. defence of the house continue for quite a few days after this.
  • The House was not manned by a 'melting pot' of Soviet nationalities; the defenders were mostly Russian. There were Uzbeks, Georgians, Tatars and Armenians there but there was some friction between the groups, exacerbated by the non-Russians' rather poor command of Russian language.
  • The house was also used as an arty observation post in order to call in strikes on the German positions across the square and beyond.
One thing that is mentioned which is interesting is that the cooking for the troops was done on an iron stove in the basement. Also, the defenders found a gramophone record (and presumably a player in working condition) as they played it to keep their spirits up. So the interior cannot have been totally wrecked.

One song was mentioned as being the favourite (prolly cos it was the only record) - a Neapolitan aria about love, the words of which translate roughly as, "Girls, tell your friend I am not sleeping at night, I am thinking of her" - if any Italian opera lovers know what this might be, it could be added to the map to add a bit of historical authenticity. (copyright permitting)

Another random but mildly interesting point: there was an Armenian called Sarkisian in the house (Cher's family name).

Upvote 0
Some great bits of info there, maybe include a gramophone but I'd go against actually finding and putting music in, for one thing it might detract from the immersiveness and feel of the game and some players may be playing the game with the new music in the upcoming patch.

Again, just my opinion.

I was thinking about a one-off easter egg (like the gramophone in Makhnovo - hit 'z' next to the gramphone and it plays)

Upvote 0