• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ostfront/darkest hour - youtube videos

SkinZ187

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
myself and some friends were sitting around last night and decided to search around on youtube for gameplay videos of ostfront and darkest hour gameplay beings we have never played it and wanted to see what all the fuss from the old "vets" was about with ro2....well, now i understand the "vets" gripe.

wow... the intensity of the battles in the old games is awesome! i think i can live with the old graphics for the time being and going to start playing ro1/dh until ro2 get modded to be more like ro1!

just wish i would have known about ro1 way back when it first came out. the battles/firefights we were watching looked truly epic!

.. going to start playing ro1/dh until ro2 get modded to be more like ro1!

Just to toot mine and some other horns, there are also Mare Nostrum (MN) and Carpathian Crosses (CC) fightnights on occasion. I recommend you check those out as well just to get the full gambit (I haven't tried Revenge of the Turul yet though, but I imagine it's also good)

Upvote 0
Well whats holding you to buy that game and join some of the remaining servers. No rocketscience. Meanwhile other people including me will play RO HOS. In time things change and so do games.

nothing is holding me back. i bought it and downloaded darkest hour also. cant wait for the weekend. in fact, after snooping around last night in the server browsers, the amount of active servers seemed comparable to ro2 :D

looking forward to the weekend

Upvote 0
Once i become a "Hero" i'll probably switch my one remaining server back to Ostfront, and start enjoying the game again.
Long live the mighty :IS2::IS2:
Edit:
Good luck to any new guys trying out Ostfront for the first time, remember the learning curve is steeper,and its mostly vets you will be playing against, but stick with it and you will be well rewarded for your patience, so keep your head down, and if you get squashed by an :IS2: it will probably be me. (and not some stupid AI aimbot)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Once i become a "Hero" i'll probably switch my one remaining server back to Ostfront, and start enjoying the game again. Long live the mighty :IS2::IS2::IS2:

I don't know about you guys but I like the music in RO1 much more.
Is there a way to port the music into RO2?
I turned music to minimum and started looping German Advance in the background. It really made the game better lol

Upvote 0
Carpathian Crosses died, because no one wants to be a romanian soldier.
Simply bad game idea.

Carpathian Crosses died because the devs didn't support it like they did MN or DH and it was integrated into RO which meant that servers running it could switch to those CC maps and then people without the mod installed would sit there downloading the entire mod, give up, and disconnect. With a little support it'd be around still today. It was easily the most professional of the three mods when it came out and it still trumps DH in terms of quality. It's rather sad that it died out like it did.

Upvote 0
Carpatian Crosses and Mare Nostrum are great mods the only problem is that nobody plays them.

If you get the chance to hit a populated server playing one of these mods check em out!!

f.g. Ardon is a wonderful large map with a great variety of combat situations.

I have had Mare Nostrum for years, and I have never seen a populated server! It's sad because it looks like a nice mod.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour

Darkest Hour

I loved Darkest Hour, especially the Ardennes maps.

If you liked Darkest Hour, might want to check out Invasion 44:
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/Invasion1944[/URL]

They are working on additional content for Ardennes.

It is based on Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead Mod and the Virtual Battlefield Simulation 2 engine used by many Army's in the world for training, to include the US Army and USMC.

Contact me if you have trouble installing, i figured it out.

Upvote 0
Question for you Lonestar

What do I need to buy to play this mod?
Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead expansion?

Thanks in advance.

lonestar, i also am interested in the invasion 1944 mod for arma 2.

are there active servers for this mod? is so, how many servers are active and how many people are playing on average? ...and are they mostly playing missions against bots, or are they playing true pvp multiplayer battles?

Upvote 0
wow... the intensity of the battles in the old games is awesome! i think i can live with the old graphics for the time being and going to start playing ro1/dh until ro2 get modded to be more like ro1!
The gfx were pretty basic even at the time, but the game play became solid over a period of a few years which more than made up for poor appearances. As an RO:O vet I try not to get (too) worked up about the direction RO2 is taking because it took RO:O several years to become the game that it did, almost entirely down to the modding community. I'm as hacked off with the 'accessible' sops and ADHD comicbook design decisions made in RO2 as the next guy, but I'm still hopeful for the modded future of the game because the core game play is there and it's solid* (more solid than it ever was in RO:O/MN/DH).

* Sans the tank model; sorry, but it blows epic goats in RO2 and needs a total overhaul.

Upvote 0