• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

of all the guns, why G-41?

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
from every indication ive gotten from history books and other sources, the g-41 was a lackluster weapon that the germans dropped like a hot potato the first chance they got. can anyone tell me the rationale and a good reason in gameplay terms of why they added that particular weapon?:cool: sorry if my tone sounds angry, im only a little curious.

Tripwire has a fetish about rare weapons.
They are trying to be different from other WW2 games by having weapons no one else has.
It's a bit of a gimmick really. Unfortunately, it's not much more than a gimmick and doesn't really add much to the game.
I don't blame TW for experimenting like this, but it does seam to be a little unpopular, especially from the more "vocal" elements in this forum.

Upvote 0
Once again, part of the team fixes things, part of the team adds new things. Doing one does not change the other for the most part. Adding in a new weapon takes just a few hours of coding (on average) once the art team has it ready.

Significant gameplay changes or any code change to core systems requires MUCH more time and MUCH more testing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say you can't feel the way you do. You are entitled to, I am just however explaining our position.

Upvote 0
If anyone's played a serious match on Baksan Valley or other infantry-only early war maps, you'll find how unbalanced it is towards Russians when they get to have SVTs but the Germans don't have anything really to counter it due to the time period. The G-41 was the logical choice as it was built at relatively large numbers and it's pretty much the perfect weapon to balance the sides.

Upvote 0
Well, if your art team has the time to burn and it only takes a few hours to code a new gun, then great. I realize that you can't make sweeping changes to the code of an already-released game, but I hope you guys hire an extra programmer soon so you can fix a few things.

I will say that the sound of the G41 kicks ass.

Upvote 0
I played with the G41 for awhile and I loved it. It is certainly a unique weapon, in no other game! The sound is fantastic too. All that needs to be done is change the sound for the G43! It's the only weapon in game that I believe doesn't sound like you are "actually there" firing it. Props to TW!
The G43 sounds like you're firing greasy sausages for ammo, lol. The G41 is a GREAT addition to the game, love it! Excellence!

Upvote 0
Hmm I am a bit mixed on it myself.

At the start of the war the Soviets generally had the advantage when it came to semi automatics and they held it through most of the war. The G41 and 43 while definitely being issued were never around in the same numbers or scale as the Tokarev rifles.

My point is that in the early stages of Barbarossa you could expect a proportion of SVT's here and there among the Soviets and no semi-automatics among the Germans, I don't want a situation where we get '41 maps where the Germans have the same proportion of semi-automatics as the Soviets because that just isn't accurate.

I also don't believe it is needed to balance things out, funny even on the maps like Baksan where the Germans have no semi's I still see them win just as much as the Soviets.

Although on the other hand I am happy to see this rifle added, because it was indeed issued and used. As long as it is done accurately.

Upvote 0
The Gewehr-41 was unpopular with troops but it wasnt that terriable it just needed to be kept clean so it could function properly.Its main draw backs was it barrel heavy and it bad placement of gas nozzle which was sensitive to dirt. After all the Ge-41(w) was not a failure that was the Mauser version which were not issued to troops. Here be a quote.
The story on the Gewehr 41 (W) abbreviated G 41 (W) produced by Walther isn't much different; although it had a much simpler and reliable system that also eased production, this second G 41 still was both front-heavy and very sensitive to dirt because of the gas-nozzle located at the muzzle. This unfortunate placement of the gas-extraction at the muzzle was neccessified because the advising army weapon's bureau insisted that no holes be drilled into the barrel itself
Here be a pic of the Gewehr-41 in france in the hands of a Fallschirmjager troop.
g41.jpg

Anyways it doesnt matter much if it wasnt a good war rifle just matters that it was used and it was until 1944.Good work Devs!

Upvote 0