• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Steam UI

New Steam UI

• Yes

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
Well, for me new steam gui is OK. Works faster, ingame steam community looks great and has clock now hehe. I like it.

@zetsumei for compact view press "details" and show only installed games in library tab. Works for me.

I mean in general, i couldnt care less about the games list. Everything just looks bloated and wasting space to look good.

Some of the new stuff is nice, but they definitely went with looks over functionality.

Upvote 0
I havent tried it, so I dont have an opinion either way...

...but what I'm wondering is, is there such a demand for a prettier interface that they felt they need to allocate resources for it? I would think, as gamers (which I'm assuming the people who work at Valve are), they would know that other gamers dont want anything else besides their game running when they want to play.. so how do they figure adding more bloat to an already (imo) invasive program is the right direction to go? Less is more in this situation.

If they have all this time and money to waste on moar UI.. why dont they spend it on something that would actually help gamers.. something like an extremely slimmed down and streamlined gaming OS that you can dual-boot into; an OS that is lighter than air (very few background services if none at all), has their digital distribution model built into it and it has the capability of prioritizing local resources (network/CPU/memory etc.) for optimal gaming performance..?

As a gamer, and I'm sure most would agree, not having to use Microsoft's heavy-arse OS's, not having to log in to Steam everytime in order to play your games (it would be part of the gaming OS), and having ALL of your local system resources not only available but prioritized for the game sounds like heaven. An ultra-light gaming OS is an untapped market, and in an industry where the revenue eclipses both movies and music.. there is money to be made with something like an operating system specifically meant for gaming. If I can buy Norton anti-virus for gaming (works very well, turns off almost everything when you go into full screen in order to free up resources) then why not an ultra-light gaming OS? Just an idea...

Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0
Don't like it. Went back to the old one within 5 minutes. As Zets wrote, they definitely went for looks over usability. Just take a look.

From this (simple and compact):

old2.jpg

To this (huge window, big icons and unnecessary info):

new.jpg

Let's hope they keep the old GUI as an option. For those of you who have a Steam forums account and don't like the new design either, feel free to use those pics.

If they have all this time and money to waste on moar UI.. why dont they spend it on something that would actually help gamers.. something like an extremely slimmed down and streamlined gaming OS that you can dual-boot into; an OS that is lighter than air (very few background services if none at all), has their digital distribution model built into it and it has the capability of prioritizing local resources (network/CPU/memory etc.) for optimal gaming performance..?

As a gamer, and I'm sure most would agree, not having to use Microsoft's heavy-arse OS's, not having to log in to Steam everytime in order to play your games (it would be part of the gaming OS), and having ALL of your local system resources not only available but prioritized for the game sounds like heaven. An ultra-light gaming OS is an untapped market, and in an industry where the revenue eclipses both movies and music.. there is money to be made with something like an operating system specifically meant for gaming. If I can buy Norton anti-virus for gaming (works very well, turns off almost everything when you go into full screen in order to free up resources) then why not an ultra-light gaming OS? Just an idea...

You know, that's actually a great idea. A Linux-like OS which can run any PC game would be very popular.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just like with the fb design changes, everyone will have gotten used to it by one months time

yup. my feeling as well. different at first, but eventually you get used to it. lol i remember when facebook made all those radical changes and people were making and joining those stupid "1,000,000 strong against new FB!!!" groups and notice how nobody cares or remembers anymore. things change, usually the improvements outweigh the "negatives".

Upvote 0
Don't like it. Went back to the old one within 5 minutes. As Zets wrote, they definitely went for looks over usability. Just take a look.

From this (simple and compact):

To this (huge window, big icons and unnecessary info):

Let's hope they keep the old GUI as an option. For those of you who have a Steam forums account and don't like the new design either, feel free to use those pics.
Personally I really like the list view, like to see the game details immediately.

You know, that's actually a great idea. A Linux-like OS which can run any PC game would be very popular.

The game "library" has three different views. Bigass icons, even more bigass icons and a list. It's there on the right top corner, just above "last played".

Last edited:
Upvote 0