• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design New Stalingrad map? Volga OST

sander

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006
The Netherlands
THIS IS NOT MY MAP!!!!!!!

A new map I saw today, Volga_OST_Beta.RO, this map is about the first scenes from Enemy at the gates where the Russians crossed the Volga to enter Stalingrad.
It starts (for the Russians) at the west side of the Volga, where they have to cross the Volga by boat (a better beachassault ;)). after that they have to capture the docks and after that one 3 ruins.

The looks on this map aren't the best, the city doesn't look that good (if you compare it to other Stalingrad maps in RO) though it looks a lot like the COD Stalingrad. The best thing about it are the sounds. You'll here a lot of screaming, explosions and Stuka's (which are also flying around (backwards...)).

This is a fun beta though I would like to see the ruins of the city closer too each other, the spaces between them are too large.

BTW, I just saw the name Tochi..., the maker of beach assault on the screenshots! I thing that he is the mapper of this one.

48x18y1.jpg

2rm63h1.jpg

2rw54lf.jpg

2nqyvbd.jpg

2ahy4pv.jpg

The Russians are crossing the Volga from West to East?!?!?

Wow - it takes about 10 seconds of research in Google to see the flaw in that one.

On the plus side, what little I can see looks vaguely like the city might have looked then, albeit thru the filter of Enema at the Gates and CoD

The Volga River, the largest river system and one of the most important rivers of Europe rises northwest of Moscow in the Valday Hills and flows 3,700 km (2,300 mi) to the southeast before emptying into the Caspian Sea near the city of Astrakhan, however it does start to go East to West at the city of Samara, which is on its way to Stalingrad. So ya that aspect of the map needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Volga River, the largest river system and one of the most important rivers of Europe rises northwest of Moscow in the Valday Hills and flows 3,700 km (2,300 mi) to the southeast before emptying into the Caspian Sea near the city of Astrakhan, however it does start to go East to West at the city of Samara, which is on its way to Stalingrad. So ya that aspect of the map needs to be changed.

Rather than going thru all that - simply look at a map of Stalingrad/Volgograd. It's not rocket science. The one I post here is in Russian but there are also plenty of maps in English showing that the Russians had their "backs to the wall" on the West bank of the Volga and that reinforcements came across the river from the East.

http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps/1942SW/Stalingrad/Stalingrad_Sept12_Nov18_42.jpghttp://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps/1942SW/Stalingrad/m11_stalingrad-N1942.gif

A map/level based on Stalingrad, I think, deserves to have at least that much research done. Slyk's map has tried to address the reality of the fighting in the greatest battle ever fought and for that he deserves kudos. Guppy has made extreme effort to recreate a 'what if' scenario in detail in Leningrad. Drecks has recreated, with some accuracy, apartment block fighting in Zhitomir. There is a move towards realism on the part of people who make playable maps.

With a bit of luck there will be a matching move in the direction of playability by those who want to make realistic maps.

Tochiri, I am sorry that a thread about your map is the forum for my outburst but the battle of Stalingrad is something that I feel passionate about and I want to see it done right. I have a great deal of respect for you as a mapper and I was pleased that your map won the 1st phase.

My respectful request is that you please, please look a little bit more deeply in your research into this map so that it can shine as much as Kurland did.

And yes, Arro, EatG truly is teh suk. 100,000's of soldiers fought and died in unimaginably harsh conditions and this film tells us it was all for nothing cos all that was required to win the war was for Jude 'pretty boy' Law to have a 'High Noon' moment with Ed Harris.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rather than going thru all that - simply look at a map of Stalingrad/Volgograd. It's not rocket science. The one I post here is in Russian but there are also plenty of maps in English showing that the Russians had their "backs to the wall" on the West bank of the Volga and that reinforcements came across the river from the East.

http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps/1942SW/Stalingrad/Stalingrad_Sept12_Nov18_42.jpg

A map/level based on Stalingrad, I think, deserves to have at least that much research done. Slyk's map has tried to address the reality of the fighting in the greatest battle ever fought and for that he deserves kudos. Guppy has made extreme effort to recreate a 'what if' scenario in detail in Leningrad. Drecks has recreated, with some accuracy, apartment block fighting in Zhitomir. There is a move towards realism on the part of people who make playable maps.

With a bit of luck there will be a matching move in the direction of playability by those who want to make realistic maps.

Tochiri, I am sorry that a thread about your map is the forum for my outburst but the battle of Stalingrad is something that I feel passionate about and I want to see it done right. I have a great deal of respect for you as a mapper and I was pleased that your map won the 1st phase.

My respectful request is that you please, please look a little bit more deeply in your research into this map so that it can shine as much as Kurland did.

And yes, Arro, EatG truly is teh suk. 100,000's of soldiers fought and died in unimaginably harsh conditions and this film tells us it was all for nothing cos all that was required to win the war was for Jude 'pretty boy' Law to have a 'High Noon' moment with Ed Harris.

Thank you Nestor Makhno. I always thank you.
I must say to everybody.
I was going to make Enemy At The Gates rather than Volga.
Because I made this map while watching a movie.
It was wrong to have made a name of this map Volga easily.
Therefore, a name of a map changes it.

RO-EnemyAtTheGates:eek:

Upvote 0
Thank you Nestor Makhno. I always thank you.
I must say to everybody.
I was going to make Enemy At The Gates rather than Volga.
Because I made this map while watching a movie.
It was wrong to have made a name of this map Volga easily.
Therefore, a name of a map changes it.

RO-EnemyAtTheGates:eek:

Where can I get this map for our Servers????

Upvote 0