• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need some info about web forums

DieFledermaus

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006
Some mates of mine would like to start a web forum. It does not have to be fancy. Basically something that can have a few sections, less than this place but similar. They wrote me about it but I have never set one up so I do not have much to offer them.

But since some of the things discussed will be of a controversial nature it is hoped the identities, i.p. addresses etc of the moderators will be protected. (basically it is a forum where members of a major internet forum may come anonymously to discuss their dissatisfaction with the heavy-handed tactics of the current mods and administration. Some are afraid of reprisals if they speak their minds freely.)

Any tips or links to sites that offer such forums would be helpful, thanks!

Stay away from phpbb - it has alsorts of security issues - although it is free i woudnlt advise it regarding to your post.

IPB is a great one, (although vbulletin is better - this forum uses) you can get a free version of IPB - not sure where www.ipbfree.com i think

umm if you want to get the best of the best then get vB but it costs alot

hope that helped

p.s oh yea theres some other free ones around the internet that aint bad

Upvote 0
IPB is pretty good and you can pay for no ad spam - it used to be about $5 freed 10,000 visits from the annoying spam IPB has at the top.

You should also consider the ease with which you can skin boards - SMF is pretty good for that. One thing about SMFis that you have to be veeeeery careful about controlling permissions - it has a very adaptable (read 'fiddly') set of policies.

http://www.invisionboard.com/

http://www.simplemachines.org/

All freeware forums are pretty much easily hackable - but, as long as you keep up-to-date on the newer versions, you will usually be a step ahead of most script-kiddies.

Upvote 0
No they are not making a forum to bash moderators. There is a lot more at stake here. These are all adults, most of them professional artists, some of them famous ones who post anonymously. It grew from a grass roots forum to now having over 10,000 posters world wide and maybe 5 times as many non-posting readers. It is connected to an international convention only for those members and the networking involved can be of immeasurable value.

But it is going through growing pains, with the current mods in culture shock as they now have to deal with so many cultural backgrounds, etc. and feeling threatened at their power base. They are a bunch of middle-aged, white men with very narrow scope and no experience whatsoever in running internet sites. But as is often the case with those kind of moderators, they let it go to their head, now sure they know what is best for everyone, ignoring popular opinion and shutting down anythread they feel makes them look bad. As well as being inconsistent in why they ban people, striking out of personal pique rather than acting for the good of the community.

In other words it claims thousands of members, when there are only six. Everyone else has no rights whatsoeverand is treated like they are lucky to be there at all. No one voted these people in, the guy who took over from the founder hand-picked the current mods, who were just like him and would do what he asked and they are enjoying their little clubhouse at the expense of everyone else.Not that they are all villains, but they are certainly misguided and causing more harm than good.

That would be fine and everyone could just go to some new forum, except for the untold donations paid to keep it going and the international event that people would have to give up attending if they just choose to leave the forum.

Many founding members and hard core members who came in recent years do not want to leave and hope a united effort can clear the air and get the mods to wake up to reality without anyone having to call a lawyer (and there are a great many lawyers among the members who are not professional artists).

So they want a place where they can discuss the issues without the mods being able to prevent it and where the three or four people paying for the new forum can have their identities remain safe.Those mods will not be barred from the site, they will just have no control over it and we hope their reading of what is posted on the site will bring about a peaceful transition to something more like an elected board of directors who set the policy the mods carry out.

So anyway, any help would well, be helpful. I will pass on the recommendations provided thus far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just as well. Seems unlikely you would be able to understand grown up talk like that anyway.

There are some very good fundamental reading programs. You might want to look into one.

Except for the fact that most of my posts show that I have, indeed, read and understood what has been said, nitwit. And upon closer inspection of your little wall of text there, I'm only further convinced that it is for bashing and trashing mods.

Nevertheless this thread is pointless nd my mom got scared she said you'r moving with your auntie and uncle to bel air. I whistled for a cab and when i came near, The license plate said 'Fresh', And had dice in the mirror, If
anything i could say that this cab was rare, But I thought 'Nah, forget it - Yo, home to Bel-Air!'

I pulled up to the house at bout seven or eight, I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo home, smell ya later!' I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there! To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air!

Upvote 0