• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need more repercussions for getting shot and the damage.

Lemonater47

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
Currently nobody really knows how it works. A couple of us have looked at the code and got a general idea but nothing absolute.

Anyway. Getting shot in this game and not dying has more or less zero repercussions. Plus many people feel as though some shots shouldn't be survived.

Things that could help with that.

Paper Doll
In RO2 in the bottom left hand corner there was a 2d image of you. It did many things but one of the things it did was show you where you took damage and how severe said damage was. Cos in reality you would know where you got hit with the sensation known as pain.
What this would help with in terms of stopping the bull**** is players would know why they survived a shot. Plus it may actually unveil some issues with the damage if there are any or prove that chest shots do in fact kill. A paper doll would make the game less confusing and be a useful debugging tool for the average player.

Stomach shots
Getting hit in the stomach in this game generallly makes you bleed. If not killed. Even things such as the M14 are survivable. But what does bleeding actually do to you? Nothing. Getting hit at all should put you up to 100% suppression. Stomach shots on top of that should also take away all your stamina. Before anyone says "there is no stamina" yes there actually is you just can't "see" it. I fully intend these to be temporary effects. But getting shot should put you at a temporary disadvantage. So you can't so easily turn around and engage whatever's shooting you.

Non-lethal chest shots should also do the same thing.

Limb shots
Let's start with the legs. And how the developers nerfed the penalties for getting shot in the legs. In RO2 leg shots would slow you down. Down to ADS speeds more or less. In RS2 all it does it take away your ability to sprint. Don't really see why from a gameplay perspective. Now it did look weird in RO2. Animation wise. You sorta slid across the ground in slow motion when it happened. The game designers seem overly concerned with "looks" in the animation department so one can assume that was a reason. Or they for whatever reason did actually want to remove the penalty. Add it back please.

Now the arms. Nothing really happens with an arm shot. Didn't in RO2 either. They could really make it throw your aim off on impact on an arm shot. Don't even gotta move the camera much. Just push the whole first person rig off in some direction.

Bleeding
What to do with bleeding in general. Bleeding in RS2 is now on a timer. In RO2 bleeding was damage over time. Meaning in RO2 you bleed out faster and you didn't actually know when you would suffer a sudden brain annurism. In RO2 it doesn't cause damage over time. It just suddenly puts you on a timer. 10 seconds is the fastest. Now in RO2 you pretty much bleed out under 10 seconds every time. Instead of over ten seconds. Up to 40 seconds. With no hindrance whatsoever other than the screen getting darker near the end. But by that stage you are probably out of danger already. Don't quite know what to do with this. Other than possibly prolonged suppression effects until you have bandaged. And have it fade in then fade out rather than be like an on/off switch. Could even adjust the suppression by the severity of the bleed.

Hitboxes
Was gonna post stuff here. But nobody knows where they are. I can figure out how to see vehicle hitboxes but not player ones. They work differently. All we know is that RO2 hitboxes were exaggerated and RS2 hitboxes are far more precise. However. Might be worth adjusting the chest hitboxs specifically. Lower down, slightly wider at the shoulders. That sort of thing. Though nobody but the developers know what they look like.

The damage system itself
Is actually fine. The more I look at how it works the more I see that it should be theoretically be working fine. Couple things I don't get about it is the KDamageImpluse variable. Nobody knows that that does. Nobody did it RO2 either. Other than it's the weight of the bullet multiplied by the velocity it travels in UU's. Though in RO2 the value was pretty much "guessed" compared to RS2 in which you actually calculated the correct data. That's the other thing to compare between the two. In RO2 almost all real world values on the weapons were completely wrong. Whereas in RS2 they are all properly researched with their sources in the code. And not one of those sources is Wikipedia. How cool is that. They put a lot of effort in.
Anyway the other thing is your energy transfer system. Which is a modified RO2 system. From what I understand it's a graph. Where you plot 2 points to get a damage curve in the graph. Which is the percentage of the "maximum" damage against what I can only assume is distance. In units that nobody knows. It's not UU's I can tell you that. The other thing is we can only see the two points they plot on this curve. We can't see the beginning or end. (Cos there isn't actual a visual graph you gotta imagine it, it's all numbers). This all feeds into other brand new calculations which aren't relevant here I don't think. Also I could be completely wrong about all of this. But I don't think I am. But not knowing what the distance is makes it confusing. For example with the M14. You have it dealing 15% of its damage. At a certain distance. It is 15% of 800 damage which is 120 damage which is still more damage than what the bolt actions did in RO2. You still only got 100HP and I've been told that that side of things has remained unchanged.
But can it get a value under 100?
Or are these Two values The minimum and maximum? The documentation seems to imply that this isn't the case. And that they are there to actually make a curve. Otherwise by default it would simply be linear.

At the end of the day we want to avoid complete bull**** moments. Punishing the guy who got shot yet still lived is a way to do that. Combined with a clear indication of where you got shot to eliminate any confusion. Nothing is worse than hitting someone only to have him turn around and get you like it was nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUndying
Yeah I really miss the small figure in the HUD showing me where I got shot.

In general I feel that MG suppression (and suppression in general) feels so lacking in this game, I shot at 4 guys constantly and they just quickscoped me while under suppressive fire.

Overpenetration might be cool and realistic but it still feels awful hitting with the M14 or hell the MOSIN and not getting a kill with a chest shot.

Other than that I agree on the topic, at least some changes need to be made. Especially limb shots and randomized bleeding out (or maybe tied to the hit zone, getting hit in the arm isn't as severe as getting your leg shot through).

ALSO! Where is my nut shots? Haven't seen that kill symbol anywhere yet. 2/10

Upvote 0
In terms of suppression its way more effective than it was in RO2. Combined with the new gun handling mechanics suppression actually means something in this game.

Don't think of it like "I was suppressing 4 people and 1 of them shot me". Think about when you get suppressed. That's how you know it works.

And come on. 1v4. In all likelihood one of them is gonna get you if you don't get all of them lol.

Also I do not believe people are surviving mosins and stuff to the chest. I remember a time in early beta when that did in fact happen. But it hasn't happened since and there has been zero evidence to suggest it does. Even people showing video evidence when you watch it back frame by frame they miss the chest. Even missing entirely. In the heat of the moment it can feel that you got a chest shot.

However they can survive stomach shots.

You also got to realise that what's a "chest" in RS2 is completely different than the chest in RO2. Hitboxes have been altered.

Which is why they don't got nut shots anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that "KDamageImpulse" could be Kinetic Force applied to a ragdoll / player when shot, to push players & ragdolls around.

I run into alot of issues with the AK; the random recoil usually ends up with me getting a gut-shot, two leg shots, and an upper-arm shot right before the guy turns around and one-taps me in the upper chest with the Grease Gun. Would be nice to have a little more of an appropriate response for the guy being shot multiple times. :p

Upvote 0
Even Counter-Strike has anti-run'n'gun measures. It's called "tagging" and slows down players to a crawl for a short while after they get hit.
It's a shame that in RS2, provided that a shot doesn't kill you, you can shoot back or run away as if nothing happened. You only have to care about bleeding, but this timer is long enough to be of low priority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cwivey;n2311077 said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that "KDamageImpulse" could be Kinetic Force applied to a ragdoll / player when shot, to push players & ragdolls around.

I run into alot of issues with the AK; the random recoil usually ends up with me getting a gut-shot, two leg shots, and an upper-arm shot right before the guy turns around and one-taps me in the upper chest with the Grease Gun. Would be nice to have a little more of an appropriate response for the guy being shot multiple times. :p

RO2 also had a Kdamageimpulse variable that had more or less the same values. So whatever it does I don't think it's function has changed.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2311436 said:
RO2 also had a Kdamageimpulse variable that had more or less the same values. So whatever it does I don't think it's function has changed.

Like CWivey said It is for physics, an impulse of kinetic energy applied to ragdolls. Doesn't have to do with damage or anything like that, rather the game now seems to account for the size of the caliber and how much kinetic energy is given off to the player's body, rather than the general amount that RO2/RS had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2311468 said:
Like CWivey said It is for physics, an impulse of kinetic energy applied to ragdolls. Doesn't have to do with damage or anything like that, rather the game now seems to account for the size of the caliber and how much kinetic energy is given off to the player's body, rather than the general amount that RO2/RS had.

But there's another thing that controls how much a ragdoll reacts to being shot. A value that you set above 1. The higher it is the more push there is.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2311555 said:
But there's another thing that controls how much a ragdoll reacts to being shot. A value that you set above 1. The higher it is the more push there is.

Well, that's what KDamageImpulse does. Considering there are no environmental KActors in the game, that's what it's there for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0