• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need Help for Comic...

Jhaxavier

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006
Hey...

I just started making an Ostfront-based comic using Garry's Mod. I got my hands on some Russian soldier models, along with a PPSh and some of them army hats. I've got the environment, I've got the characters, I've got the front cover of the comic, I just don't know where the hell to set it in.

The comic would be taking place during Stalingrad in August '42. What I wanna know is:

1. Does it snow in August there?
2. Did they get to the city fighting in August?
3. Are there any other notable, mostly infantry-based, inner-city battles aside from Stalingrad that were not fought after '42?

The criteria is strange because of the limited materials I have to work with. I do not have DoD:S, so as for now I cannot use many DoD style maps due to their direct use of content from the game (there are quite a few Bondarevo style custom maps, but they are buggy w/o DoDS).

I also can't find seperate helmets for use on my Russians, even though I have Germans (independent of DoDS) to work with. I only have a few HL2DM maps that actually work quite well for the setting (bombed/destroyed apartments).

Lastly, if anyone would like to be a historical advisor (I know there are tons of you out there...) or help me with a historic-driven plot, step right up and PM me some contact info. You don't need Garry's Mod, just a good knowledge of some ostfront history. I won't pay you money, but I will honorably mention you (and maybe give you some Shambeh Bambeh!) ;)

Btw, here's the cover: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7721/maincoverqr5.jpg :rolleyes:

2. Did they get to the city fighting in August?
3. Are there any other notable, mostly infantry-based, inner-city battles aside from Stalingrad that were not fought after '42?

1. Its frigging hot there in August.
2. Air raids over Stalingrad started only on 23rd of August, infantry was still fighting outside the city.
3. You could try reading about Rostov-on-Don and Smolensk.

Upvote 0

LOOOOL :rolleyes: Last year for pretty much the entire late summer it was hotter than Damascus in Syria. It got up to 48 Celsius one summer a couple of years back. Most flats don't have air-conditioning and leaving the windows open means that the night's dust storms can leave sand-dunes on your carpet.

Good luck with the movie, though :)

Upvote 0
May I suggest a non realistic/historical plot. Makes it ironic and funny, we here are all about realism, it would be nice to see something...not

It'll be mostly serious, but there will be (hopefully) witty dialogue and various appearances of Shambeh Bambeh and lend-lease SPAM cans...:D

Lol, about that August thing, I just wanted to make sure...(it begins to get cold in America that time of year :rolleyes:)

I'm reading into Smolensk and Rostov, I might use those...thanks :)

But if anyone wants to be an advisor for historic stuff, go ahead (I can't fictionalize that much, Waxx has a monopoly on funny Russian army comics (e.g. Ravenholm Armory) ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0