• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need advice on Mosin Nagant

Ummm, now I'm a bit confused. One person says I would need to take my 91/59 to a gunsmith and have a different bolt to have the PU scope put on, and another person says it should attach without any problems.

The 91/59 is basically a cutdown version of the 91/30, correct? Just wondering as it doesn't seem right that I would need a different bolt and some gunsmith to drill holes in the rifle to make ascope/scope mount fit.

Anyone have a 91/59 with a Russian PU 3x scope attachment on it?

PU mounts are bolted to the left side of the receiver and the scope is too low for a straight bolt to clear.

Just get a scout mount that replaces the rear site leaf. For the amount of money you would spend on the PU scope, having it mounted, and getting the bolt bent you could buy a reproduction 91/30 PU sniper.

Besides drilling holes in receivers and cutting stocks ruins the resell value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unless it's an Ex-sniper that is being restored. That's my view anyways.

Done that myself, but only because I have three. The one I did it to (a '43 Izhevsk ex-PU) has a brand new looking bore and shoots accordingly. The only reason it had it's scope removed was the Soviets felt they had too many. Like those '47 ex-snipers we saw come in. Heck they didn't even mark out the scope number on the left side or remove the sniper trigger.

I'm referring to everything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could you post some pics of those clips? All sixty of mine have a Tikka stamp on them but I've been told they are reproductions. I'd love to have some pics for comparison.

Here are the pics. Clips were much more scratched than I remembered. Not actually shiny and new.:) (But on the other hand they cost something like 10 cents a piece and they work very well.)

Sorry about the bad picture quality. And the fact, that I just didn

Attachments

• tikka.jpg
    tikka.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • M39 II.jpg
    M39 II.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0
  • M39.jpg
    M39.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • paketti.jpg
    paketti.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • patruuna.jpg
    patruuna.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
PU mounts are bolted to the left side of the receiver and the scope is too low for a straight bolt to clear.

Just get a scout mount that replaces the rear site leaf. For the amount of money you would spend on the PU scope, having it mounted, and getting the bolt bent you could buy a reproduction 91/30 PU sniper.

Besides drilling holes in receivers and cutting stocks ruins the resell value.

Best website that sells the cheapest repo 91/30 PU sniper rifles?

Upvote 0
mosin rounds are a crapload more difficult to load in than other rounds (8mm Mauser, .303 British ect. )
i somehow found it verry difficult to load the rounds with a stripperclip
u either have to be: Hulk, Terminator ect to push them streight down
or ull have to take the first 1 or 2 rounds and push the others down with them
god i just HATE loading 7,62x54R, thats why my god is 8x57 IS :D

Upvote 0
Just load the rounds into the cilp with the rims overlapping like this.
\
\
\
\
\

Then load like you see in RO. Put your index finger under the tip of the first bullet, press down with your thumb towards the back of the top round.

Of course if helps if you have good clips to begin with. Like those Tikka clips above.

Upvote 0