• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My View: "I'm an RO:Mod Vet / RO1 Vet" and How to Tame Things a Bit:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
I've been bouncing between the various sections of these forums and the Steam forums for quite a while now. I've been seeing all the different side of each argument for just about everything under the sun.

Most of the threads and posts I see from people, including from myself sometimes, usually start with someone giving their opinion on an element in RO2 and how it's either good, bad or needs some kind of changing, etc...... and each person, regardless of what the subject is or how well they word their arguments, almost always start off with:

"I'm an RO1 Vet"

Good for you.... I'm an RO:Mod Vet, does that make my view and my argument more valid?

The answer is no.

Whether someone has been playing RO since Ostfront, or since Combined Arms or just got into RO via RO2..... everybody's opinion and view of the game are equally the same as the next person's. Stating how long you've played Red Orchestra makes no difference, so why bother?

I make arguments on one topic which may or may not agree with another's view, and then someone tries to disqualify my arguments or views by saying "I'm an RO:Ost Vet, you obviously never played RO1" or "Go back to playing CoD"

Really?? What is that accomplishing?

Should I have to start all my posts by stating "I'm an RO:CA Vet?" in order to try and avoid this?

One would think you shouldn't have to, but it seems today that we have a community split between Mod Vets, RO1 Vets and RO2 Recruits..... and all of us have very differing views and experiences towards Red Orchestra and what direction the game should take.

Red Orchestra Combined Arms, Red Orchestra Ostfront and Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad all seem to jump into different directions. In my view, RO:CA and RO2 head in one direction and RO1 went into a different direction..... that's not a good or bad thing, it's just the way it is..... but it does split the community up and the views on which way RO should go varries greatly.

Some prefer Ostfront as their favorite RO, others prefer RO2 because either

A) it's their first experience with RO or
B) they've played the mod and feel it is closer to the mod than it is to RO1.

I am option B.

Now again, just because I've played the Mod first, that doesn't make me anymore right or wrong compared to someone who started out in RO1 or RO2...... although to be honest, I do believe it does give me a larger perspective of what RO was back then and what it is today.

Back in the mod days, I remember piles of people having similar arguments and debates as today on what should be added, what's realistic, what's not, what should be tweaked, etc. etc.

And in RO1 the same applied..... but now with RO2, it seems to be a little more intensified with people now trying to back up their arguments on what used to be, what was in the version they played before and how things in RO2 don't match up.

There has always been a divide between the community when it came to how much realism should be in the game and what exactly is realism when it comes to a video game..... now it seems to have intensified to levels I don't remember seeing before, further deviding the community and giving others, especially new players, a bit of a foul taste..... or should it be fowl? :cool:

Anyways..... I'm not trying to preach and tell others how they should or shouldn't conduct themselves in the forums, that's not what this thread it about.

I'm trying to bring forward some of the issues I see in the forum community, slap a spot light on them to expose all the pimples and warts that exist and find ways or suggestions to try and get people who are interested into being more constructive with one another, even when it's an idea you really don't like.

Saying you like something or hate something doesn't tell anybody anything and while you may like/hate something, someone else will have the opposite view as you.... it happens. Standing your ground, holding blindly to your position and refusing to see anything any other way is not going to solve anything and it won't help your argument either.

Some of the bigger issues being discussed recently are the following:

• Weapon Sway
• Recoil
• Stats/Leveling/Unlocks
• Zoom/Focus
• Respawn
• Spawn on Squad Leaders
• Ratio of Rifles to SMG's/Semi-Autos
• Team Communication/Team Work
• MKB42
• Drum Mags & Clip Unlocks
• Realism in General
• Attaching/Detatching Bayonets
• Bot Farming
• Movement Speed
• Aiming Physics/Reflex/Iron Sights

Among many other things.......

Many people have strong views one way or another about many of the above..... myself included, I can admit that.

But no matter how strong out views are on a subject or how much we may like or hate something, there is always room for compromise. You can give way a little bit on your position and offer some sort of solution to the subject that meets the other guy half way.... and hopefully they will do the same.

Each of us almost always holds firm on a very strong/absolute position and either like exactly how something currently is, or exactly how we think it should be. No matter if the idea in question is left as it is or changed the way you like it to be, not everybody is going to be pleased because both ways are the ends of two extremes and someone's going to either love it or hate it.

Solution?

I would suggest that perhaps to make it easy for everybody, including Tripwire, to determine what should be focused on the most, say one or two features.... perhaps even make a poll once every month on what everybody would like to address this time around to perhaps add into the next patch (Weapon Sway, Bandaging, etc.)..... once a majority of people determine what is the most important thing to address, then create a thread stating clearly and unbiasly the two ends of the argument:

• Weapon Sway is Fine Now
• Weapon Sway needs to be Increased

Rather than people just arguing why their position is right and the other is wrong (since that doesn't accomplish anything)..... why don't we all just accept that there is some level of tweak that can be done that everybody could accept?

Nobody is going to get exactly what they want all the time and not everybody is going to be pleased with either of the above extremes, so why not focus on how to reach a middle ground between the two?

Some people want sway similar to RO1's style, others want it exactly as it currently is.... would it kill anybody if it was somewhere in between and then go from there is it isn't quite perfect?

I wouldn't want RO1 style weapon sway back, but I could accept something between RO1 and RO2 if it's done right.

Maybe keep RO2 style sway for Prone/Crouch/Propped positions and have something like RO1 sway for standing?

There's all sorts of options and compromises that can be made and worked on constructively, rather than "No, it's my way and no other way"..... you're only going to please yourself and the group of people who agree with you, while if both sides of the argument work together to make something that meets in the middle, you stand a better chance of getting more of what you want and you end up satisfying a larger group of the community.

I'm just tossing out ideas here and I'm not trying to tell anybody how they should or shouldn't conduct themselves..... this is more just for a reflection for those interested in perhaps trying to make their ideas a bit more accepted by the rest of the community and to maybe give their ideas/suggestions/issues a better chance at being accepted or at least acknowledged by the rest of the community.

It might even give Tripwire a good idea of how important an idea is to the community as well as help them find a way to include this idea into the game that would be acceptable to the majority of the community. If it was me and I kept seeing arguments from both sides wanting something changed and the other wanting it to remain the same..... I simply wouldn't touch it until there was some level of agreement from either both sides or a greater majority of the community.

....... I should know, I'm an RO:Mod Vet :D just kidding.

Last edited:
1,431 words covering what I think are 3 topics.

I need a glass of whiskey now.

No, it's only one topic with two related tangents, and while I'm facinated that you bothered to take the time to count how many words I typed, I would have been more impressed if you actually contributed something to the conversation.

Upvote 0
A reasonable breakdown identifying an overused logical fallacy, deconstructing it, and then providing productive feedback? On the TWI forums?

It's more likely than you think...

The big problem here that TWI has already mentioned is that the forums represent a tiny fraction of the userbase, and do not represent an accurate sample of the opinions of the people actually playing the game. Forum polls are notoriously inaccurate in regards to the larger community as a whole.

I know that I've never signed up for the developer forums for the games I play. This is a first for me. I would never have signed up if not for all the bugs I had trying to get the game working on my rig. It'd never cross my mind to visit here if not for that. I'm operating under the assumption that most gamers are like me (it seems that they are, from my experience). Changing gameplay based on what's here on the forums would be a mistake.

Upvote 0
looking too much into the whole thing, take a couple steps back. there are thoses who like the fast pace, new feel of RO2. and there are thoses who like the slower pace and old feel of RO1. sprinkle in people who cant even enjoy playing because of bad performance and bugs and there you go.

forums are actually a larger fraction of players then you think. i beleve i actually went through that already a while ago and came up with roughly 20%. still a minority but its big enough they shouldnt turn away from.

people are too soft on TWI, they wanted to graduate and play with the big boys well then im gonna start excpecting more out of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like how this thread basically shows "oh my god, he is using a well-structured argument which is something I cannot accomplish or even understand!" *hit red button at lighting-speed*

this is why giving users ability to downvote is like giving general public the ability to decide - sounds good in theory, in practice most people are idiots.

the "0 of the 3 users like this post" really proves my point.

Really, you cannot just downvote someone because he is right and you don't like it. If he isn't right - prove him wrong! There shouldn't be a red button of disagreement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've noticed something similar - people argue with each other about their point of view rather than trying to estabilish the truth they all seek. Truth is one and because of that there should be no strife.

I also find reputation system here pathetic, because people see something they disagree with and instead of making constructive argument they only hit "dislike" button. Why they do that?

Upvote 0
I've noticed something similar - people argue with each other about their point of view rather than trying to estabilish the truth they all seek. Truth is one and because of that there should be no strife.

I also find reputation system here pathetic, because people see something they disagree with and instead of making constructive argument they only hit "dislike" button. Why they do that?

Because truth is subjective.

Unless we're talking about maths. In that case, carry on.

People cannot comprehend their view on truth might be outright WRONG, clouded by false facts and opinionated views on the subject. He cannot possibly be right, even though I have nothing to counter his argument with - here comes the downvote button!

Upvote 0
Whether someone has been playing RO since Ostfront, or since Combined Arms or just got into RO via RO2..... everybody's opinion and view of the game are equally the same as the next person's. Stating how long you've played Red Orchestra makes no difference, so why bother?

I would argue that it does make a difference. If TWI would have succesfully completetly catered to the COD crowd the COD crowd would obviously have liked it. Those who liked the previous game but not COD wouldn't like it and would obviously be upset that the continuation of a game they liked was too different for their liking. The situation isn't this extreme with RO2 but it's without doubt in the direction of it.

Some prefer Ostfront as their favorite RO, others prefer RO2 because either

A) it's their first experience with RO or
B) they've played the mod and feel it is closer to the mod than it is to RO1.

I am option B.

Yes, the reason they don't like RO2 is cause they don't think it's close enough to what they liked about Ostfront. Isn't that worth mentioning in their posts? Remember that the tone of your voice doesn't transfer well over text so I don't think you should always read it as spoken by a snob.

Upvote 0
This isn't about being right or wrong. It is about the gameplay just being flawed and this being the reason for the game having died and it's potential wasted. I wonder what made TW release the game in this state.

Died? LOL, you again :rolleyes:

What made your parents release you in this state?

Upvote 0
I would argue that it does make a difference. If TWI would have succesfully completetly catered to the COD crowd the COD crowd would obviously have liked it. Those who liked the previous game but not COD wouldn't like it and would obviously be upset that the continuation of a game they liked was too different for their liking. The situation isn't this extreme with RO2 but it's without doubt in the direction of it.

Yes, the reason they don't like RO2 is cause they don't think it's close enough to what they liked about Ostfront. Isn't that worth mentioning in their posts? Remember that the tone of your voice doesn't transfer well over text so I don't think you should always read it as spoken by a snob.

Very well, so with that logic, me being an RO Mod Vet and an RO1 Vet should make my opinion superior to anybody who's just an RO1 Vet, thus there is no argument to be had.

Sure it makes sense to comment on what you liked in a previous game and are disappointed that it's not in the new version, but just out right stating that it's wrong that it's not the way you expected and basically demand that it be put back the way it was..... simply isn't going to accomplish anything.... nor will saying "I'm an RO:whatever Vet"

If people want an old feature in RO2, that's fine, but one has to figure out a way to introduce the idea into the game that won't drastically change the entire structure of the game, which will most likely involve a middle ground between RO2 and previous RO's..... saying that you're a vet of whatever is not justification for having your way or even to shoot someone else's idea down.

If it was, then I and a few others in here would trump 95% of the community because we're RO:Mod vets..... but then anybody who played the UT2k3 Mod would trump me..... so it just doesn't make sense and it doesn't help win any argument.

Upvote 0
A reasonable breakdown identifying an overused logical fallacy, deconstructing it, and then providing productive feedback? On the TWI forums?

It's more likely than you think...

The big problem here that TWI has already mentioned is that the forums represent a tiny fraction of the userbase, and do not represent an accurate sample of the opinions of the people actually playing the game. Forum polls are notoriously inaccurate in regards to the larger community as a whole.

I know that I've never signed up for the developer forums for the games I play. This is a first for me. I would never have signed up if not for all the bugs I had trying to get the game working on my rig. It'd never cross my mind to visit here if not for that. I'm operating under the assumption that most gamers are like me (it seems that they are, from my experience). Changing gameplay based on what's here on the forums would be a mistake.

I mostly agree. I think as long as the developers keep there common sense running it's not too much of a problem though. Plus with persistent stats they can check certain things. For example, it's a widely held belief that the MkB is overpowered but TWI could always check the stats to see if it gets more kills in less time than the SMGs/Semis rather than just listening to anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, this is a brilliant thread and the OP needs a medal. Sure, you can mention the older RO games and be like "I liked it better in RO1, because..." or even "It was perfect in RO1! Why did you change it?!" but just not "It was better in RO1. That is a fact because I played that game and you did not."

Upvote 0
I think it's important to realise that it's impossible to please everyone, there isn't a game in the world which does not have some kind of haters. The gameplay is not flawed, aside from obvious bugs that influence this. It's just that the gameplay does not appeal to a portion of the players who had different expectations.

I think that the biggest issue that currently summarises all the complaints about the game is that it's not as difficult and skillbased. Eventually people want realism, and the opportunity to display their skill in a competitive way.

The other side is usually complaining about bugs, and with good reason. Though I think TWI has already provided increased performance for 70% of the people, which results in 30% thinking that TWI is only making everything worse, the anger of that 30% is irrational while they keep rationalising their own reason for complaining just because they think that just because they paid for something they should drop the entire concept of being humane to the developers.

What made your parents release you in this state?

Do you make it a habit of insulting people like this, is it really needed to reject his opinion and completely crush it by calling him and his parents a failure? Personally attacking him does not seem rational and only signals to me that there's a lot of irony in the quote.

Then there's just the whiners, they need something to whine. Being able to detach the bayonet is an exact example of this. The point is that they should not be ignored, but rather taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Thyrker
Upvote 0
Very well, so with that logic, me being an RO Mod Vet and an RO1 Vet should make my opinion superior to anybody who's just an RO1 Vet, thus there is no argument to be had.

Where did I write that it would make your opinions superior if you have played Ostfront? I just wrote that it says the reason they dislike the game or a feature in the game (cause it isn't close enough to Ostfront).

Opinions are just that, opinions. Whose opinions are superior are in this case decided by TWI.

Upvote 0
+1'ed the OP because of a well constructed post, which is what the rep system is normally for anyway, a way to confirm great posters that you may or may not agree with.

While it may seem like there is intense debates going on these forums, it is actually only about 20 disappointed individuals devoting time to these forums to lobby their positions, countered by an equal number of casual pleased individuals who thinks the game is pretty sweet.

When Tripwire say they listen to the community I hope (and don't believe) that they are letting user input based solely on these forums dictate future direction of RO2 game design because these forums are a pitiful cross section of the RO2 playerbase. The overwhelming majority of players are not on the forums, and from rough memory the game peaks somewhere between 2000-3000 active players at any one time every day. I'm not arrogant enough to assume they are COD fans or any other kind of mainstream gamers because believe it or not, RO2 is not a mainstream shooter. The only thing I assume about the people playing the game is that they enjoy it or else they wouldn't be playing. More likely they would be on the forums campaigning for radical change or reimbursement.

I'm expecting lots of downvotes on this post from some of the 20 :D

Upvote 0
Do you make it a habit of insulting people like this, is it really needed to reject his opinion and completely crush it by calling him and his parents a failure? Personally attacking him does not seem rational and only signals to me that there's a lot of irony in the quote.

Then there's just the whiners, they need something to whine. Being able to detach the bayonet is an exact example of this. The point is that they should not be ignored, but rather taken with a grain of salt.

I'm afraid with him it's a natural reaction. I'm tired of reading his nonsensical posts about the game being dead.

I probably shouldn't have insulted him and I'm sure the mods will deal with me accordingly, but I'll do it again everytime he insists on posting his fantastical, over dramatised crap :eek::cool:

Edit: I dunno, maybe you think his constant " the game is dead " crap is neccessary or helpful?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Poerisija said:
Because truth is subjective.

Unless we're talking about maths. In that case, carry on.
Not exactly. If you drop a stone we all can agree that it will fall due to gravity. If you want to say how exactly will it fall then we should use math.

Take discussions about sway on these forums foe example - there is no point saying that it's either good or too small, because everyone will start arguing about who is right or wrong. Some peole will say that there is a sway, others will respond that said sway is too low. This leads us nowhere. Nobody is asking a correct question.

When you say to someone that he is wrong then he will defend his statement. That's what the people do, how they react. And such situations we should avoid. It's far better to ask "How should we measure correct level of sway?", because then everyone will try to find out and they'll state their findings and much more constructive discussion will be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0