• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Most Atmospheric Scene in a game?

Nocturne, during the first 2 campaigns. (first being wherewolves and vampires, second zombie town)
Especially the zombie town rocked. As soon as i got into the second part of that campaign (mines) i was so scared i didnt want to continue on... (i was younger back then, lol :p)

I also like the decrepit atmosphere of STALKER.
The entire atmosphere of that game just plain rocks, IMO. Deserted ghost towns, all fallen into ruin, in an old soviet style feeling, im loving it.

Operation Flashpoint has a good atmosphere too, i'm liking the houses etc, they feel very eastern-european, so it feels close at home.
That's one of hte reasons i'm not liking Armed Assault all that much, it doesnt give me the same cool feelings OFP gave me, with for example the desert area of Sahrani island, it feels so far away from me i cant be bothered with the entire conflict.

Upvote 0
Ravenholm really scared the **** outta me. It didn't use any of those "monsters jumping out of shadows" tactics, but it still managed to freak me out. Seeing all the dead bodies laying around with the walls painted red with blood, and then having one of the bodies come to life and attack you is pretty intense. Also, hearing a far off zombie howl for the first time, and then seeing the fast zombies come flying across the roofs scared the bejeezus outta me.

Upvote 0
I fondly remember Terminator: Future Shock.

A classic by bethesda, back when they made games, not screen-shot generators.
It was one of the first FPS games that featured polygonal enemies instead of flat bitmaps.

And for the atmosphere: every level played at night. Every single enemy, even the weakest one, could kill you within seconds. There was hardly any ammo, so you literally had to make every shot count. And lastly both the graphics and sounds have built up a greta atmosphere.

Another game worth mentioning is AvP one, playing as Colonial Marine. that was creepy.

Upvote 0
I fondly remember Terminator: Future Shock.

A classic by bethesda, back when they made games, not screen-shot generators.
It was one of the first FPS games that featured polygonal enemies instead of flat bitmaps.

And for the atmosphere: every level played at night. Every single enemy, even the weakest one, could kill you within seconds. There was hardly any ammo, so you literally had to make every shot count. And lastly both the graphics and sounds have built up a greta atmosphere.

Another game worth mentioning is AvP one, playing as Colonial Marine. that was creepy.

Right on both counts - I remember giving up on AvP as I had promised myself only to do it on the hardest setting and couldn't get pat the fact that, by the time I had met my third alien, it was usually time to change my underwear. :eek:

Upvote 0
Stalker so far has been very atmospheric for me so far. Still need to complete it but I am about half way. The misty Swamps are certainly places that make me very cautious and at night when you see other Stalkers talk while they have their lights on walking through the forest.
There have been a few moments for me in other games but i can't pinpoint them at the moment.
Strangely enough I remember playing Titanic: Adventure out of time. Which I no longer have. Making a great Atmosphere with the music and the time it gave you to do certain missions. A great game back then. but for me it had a spooky feel to it. I was young at the time.

Upvote 0
Strangely enough I remember playing Titanic: Adventure out of time. Which I no longer have. Making a great Atmosphere with the music and the time it gave you to do certain missions. A great game back then. but for me it had a spooky feel to it. I was young at the time.

Lol omg, i still have that game lying around here!
I was a huge Titanic 'fan', the entire disaster fascinated me beyond reasoning :p
I allmost forgot about the game, but it had the entire Titanic reconstructed and you could walk around on it, with a story and all...
Though i havent gotten as far as the disaster itself, i could never finish the decoding puzzle of a telegram you had to steal :(

Upvote 0
H&D2, the two missions in the deserted Czech village have some pretty good atmosphere. Especially a calm before the storm feeling at the start of the first mission where I stalked some Germans with me Fairbarn-Sykes, like a 1050s war film, so it was. Generally though, the atmosphere in the Czech village missions is quite eerie, what with the complete silence you get when you've killed every German apart from one who's hiding in a tiny room in some non-descript house.
Yes, and you think you had it all.

... When you have to trap a column of fleeing soldiers and a Tiger tank! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AvP the first one. Much better than the second for atmosphere and 'feel', though the second was a far superior game from a gameplay perspective.

American McGee's Alice - the sanitarum level. I was honestly equal parts disturbed and sad for the insane in that part.

System Shock II, the entire atmosphere. The whole game has a feeling of it's *just* light light enough that most things are shadows. The sound goes in and out in a creepy haxxored way (SHODAN is still possibly the most bad *** and manipulative enemy in a game ever). Digging for ammo, debating to shoot or pull out your pipe, never having enough inventory space, monkies howling at you out of no where...

Yeah. System Shock II redefined 'atmosphere'.

EDIT: I really wish I could bring up a krondor game or something in here, or a ____ Quest, but honestly I can't. Though they're timeless classics and great fun, full of more wit in one level than most modern games have on the entire DVD, they don't have 'atmosphere'. The technology simply wasn't there to fully immerse you into the game. You knew you were playing a game, you never forgot you were playing a game, and even though you *really* enjoyed it, it always felt like you were playing a game.

Upvote 0
SWAT 4, finding the girl in the Silence of the Lambs style basement dungeon lol

And also infiltrating the cult's tenement and finding the infant cemetery in the basement. The TOC radio operator's subtle inflection in his response to your report really sells it, along with the music.

The opening/ending sequence in Call of Cthulhu with the record playing light jazz over top the inmates' moans and the protagonist's final declarations.

Upvote 0
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2002):
Transitioning from the cold night air of the German town (overhearing the sounds of the guards shiver and smoke), to the crypt, which scared the bejeezus out of me as the first undead (that you may or may not have seen slaughtering German) burst out of the tombs. Those were some great sound effects.
"V-vere are zey?"
"Vere'd zey come from?"
*howl* *mp40 reload sound*
"Get reddy zeir coming"
And then you get to watch the zombies slaughter to first few Jerries in the room below you and you can assist either side by lobbing 'nades down to them.:p
The game was great fun if you didn't take it too seriously. Of course its nonsense, but at least they didn't try to sell it as a realistic piece unlike some other ww2 games that aren't much more realistic but lack the zombies.
I never had the feeling that it was too atmospheric though. It was too stupid for that. Zombies with nazi-insignia on their shields just seem silly to me. Fun? Yes, definately. But atmospheric? No. Maybe when the first legless dude broke out of his cell, but that's about it.

Upvote 0
"V-vere are zey?"
"Vere'd zey come from?"
*howl* *mp40 reload sound*
"Get reddy zeir coming"
And then you get to watch the zombies slaughter to first few Jerries in the room below you and you can assist either side by lobbing 'nades down to them.:p
The game was great fun if you didn't take it too seriously. Of course its nonsense, but at least they didn't try to sell it as a realistic piece unlike some other ww2 games that aren't much more realistic but lack the zombies.
I never had the feeling that it was too atmospheric though. It was too stupid for that. Zombies with nazi-insignia on their shields just seem silly to me. Fun? Yes, definately. But atmospheric? No. Maybe when the first legless dude broke out of his cell, but that's about it.

It may have been silly fun, but it was my first FPS (since Dark Forces) with a brand-new PC. Dark room, sound turned up. I had a blast.

Upvote 0