• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More Foliage and Environmental Sounds would Greatly Improve Jungle Fighting

Bane5

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2012
Bushes, shrubbery, and undergrowth are overpowered in this game. As it stands, they are every ninja backline infiltrator's best friend with no strings attached. In-game I can just sit in a line of bushes moving in and out to take shots at unsuspecting attackers, killing 10, 15, or even 20 enemy soldiers at a time--unimpeded, silent, and completely hidden.

In real life though, foliage of that sort possesses neither of those 3 qualities. Try moving inside a bush: the thick stalks and stems will prevent you from being completely inside in the center; even on the edges, shoving aside smaller bendable branches and twigs hitting your face will slow you down; finally, ruffling up leaves in a bush is loud enough to alert anyone within 30 or so meters to your presence.

The last update addressed one of those issues. Blocking volumes have been placed in bushes on some maps preventing players from completely moving inside; however, much improvement can still be done. Gravity volumes can be placed to slow players down if they decide to take cover in thick shrubs. The rustling of leaves and other various sound effects would also make a player think twice about the tradeoff of using such inconvenient cover.

Its hard to appreciate how much this adds to a game, so here is a video demonstrating:

[video=youtube_share;Hy6T28-fsJM]https://youtu.be/Hy6T28-fsJM[/video]

^^With something similar--sounds and slowed movement, I'd have to wonder if the attacker/defender balance would improve on maps like Chu-chi where attackers are often gunned down at close ranges from bushes and shrubs.

---------------------

In a wider scope, Tripwire seems to be attempting to improve game awareness through their improved audio system. But improved awareness is not just about better directional gunfire sounds. Other sound effects can be an important tool to let players know there is danger nearby. Bushes and shrubs aren't the only potential area of improvement. Many surfaces are distinctly noisy to run and step over.
  • Certain floorboards can squeak louder than others.
  • Rubble can bricks can make "sliding noises" if you sprint instead of stepping slowly over a loose pile--and there are many rubble piles in R02, RS1, & RS2.
  • Gravel makes quite a crunching noise
  • Tin cans & cardboard boxes
  • Loose paper and posters on the floor
  • and much more than the floor
    • bumping into a cabinet
    • bumping into a table
    • bumping into a wheelbarrow
    • sprinting while crouched through thick water & rice paddies--bigger splashing sounds
    • and so forth with many other static objects
One of the things that would take RS2 to the next level of its predecessor is making player's more conscious about where they step and what choices they make to consider tradeoffs. As an anecdote for something similar: once upon a time, I was on An Lao as a sapper sitting in F planting & replanting mines around spawn paths and assassinating lone people from the seclusion of several village houses and letting groups too large to fight pass by. Having racked up 7 or 8 kills, I soon had an entire squad hunting me. Content to keep them distracted, I hid in a room only moving to check each entrance. Suddenly a G.I. walked in and I shot him once. But to my sudden horror, he started yelling out in pain on the ground for his comrades to save him. The constant echoing of the death moan was like a beacon that attracted a swarm of angry bees that soon found and executed me with great vengeance. Oops, I should have lined up to do a headshot instead. Instant machine gun & automatic fire erupted in my direction after a few seconds piercing the wall and killing me. The death moans themselves add a lot of environmental awareness that danger is near, but other sounds like a creaky floorboard or a shuffling lose pile of rocks could have done me in earlier had they been present.

More environmental noises, louder noises, and noises everywhere would add a lot to what is otherwise a dull uninteractive environment--more caution, better awareness, and lots of "oh ****" moments on youtube. It is a low hanging fruit that would add a lot to the game. Does anyone agree?

Last edited:
Reactions: -Moody-
On the foliage thing I seem to recall a developer in the discord saying they are working on the engine to reduce the amount of draw calls for the purpose of adding in more foliage. Without it affecting performance. Now this could have been simple talk don't go taking it as official statements but that sort of implies they are at their limit right now but are trying to raise that limit for the purpose of more shrubbery.

Upvote 0
Very good suggestions which would make the overall experience much more immersive and the maps would feel more alive. Especially the part with the bush sounds could be used in a variety of places and would really pay off.

Certain floorboards can squeak louder than others.
Thinks like this are interesting as well. They could be used to balance the maps, especially the small ones.

We need more variety in footstep sounds generally. Right now they all seem very monotonous and you hear cloth for the most part. We need more footsteps on wood, streets, dirt, debris and water. I've underlined water because I've noticed in Hue City that there is not nearly enough feedback while running in water. Especially the sound.

Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2290513 said:
We need more variety in footstep sounds generally. Right now they all seem very monotonous and you hear cloth for the most part. We need more footsteps on wood, streets, dirt, debris and water. I've underlined water because I've noticed in Hue City that there is not nearly enough feedback while running in water. Especially the sound.

They could be louder in some cases as well. Sounds in R02 and RS2 at present seem to attenuate rather suddenly rather than gradually. Its most noticeable with the helicopter where the sound suddenly drops off after a certain distance is reached.

Upvote 0