• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

more assault guns?

The germans and russians fielded pleanty of assault guns and tank destroyers during the war. to this end, I'd like to eventually see:

Marder 2's and 3's, or nashorns
StuG 4's and StuH III's (sturm haubitze, 105 mm howitzer-armed versions of stug III's)
jagdpanzer IV's (the ones with the same main weapon as the panther tank's)
Elefants, or jagdtigers.

ISU-100, 122, 152

and also, just to sneak it in:

schwerer panzerspahwagen's (heavy german armoured cars, could counter some soviet scout tanks in some varieties) preferrably the puma (5cm late panzer III gun) variety, but the stummel (short 75mm) would work too. the 20mm one would be fine too.

these would be awesome in my opinion, face 'em up against Bt's and T-60's and you'd have a pretty fair fight. they don't have much armour, so that offsets that. not sure if that actually happened in the war, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did at one point or another.

my suggestion ends here.

I'm afraid that with assault guns in RO will be useless or at least not so durable like tanks with a turret cause in RO good angled tank increase your armor strength to some 200% so even T34 on angle will be more invulnerable than for example ISU 100. Stock RO tanking really doesn't have any sense to improve it with more tanks/self propelled guns. There is already enough of joke tank combat in RO with for example StuG which his role is not to common fight against tanks like in real but just shooting by HE shells from long distance (has fast reload) because effect of shooting AP is just bouncing off from T34. And I really can't imagine myself for example Jagdpanther in the game which will be destroying by T34/85 from front.

If we want some more vehicles let's finally start think seriously about tank combat and let's make real armor values and guns data like Armored Beasts or this will be just chaos on battlefield.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And when tanks are invulnerable it's good that assault guns don't have any chances against them? Assault guns always were famous of hard to penetrate their front armor cause they didn't have turret. And with turret there always were problems with adding to it thicker armor so that's why for example PzIVH had only 50mm in front turret when in hull was 80mm. Also turret oppositely to hull was often not sloped so it was easier to penetrate. But in RO there isn't like armor of turret and hull anyway... It's just 1 armor value.
However I don't think so that if assault guns were in RO and would be more strong like in real so they would be too hard to destroy them... No, assault guns can be easily flanked and destroyed cause they don't have turret. And if in RO would be real gun traverse speed would be even more easier. Cause in for example StuG traverse is just exaggerated too much. In AB was changed to more real traverse speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thing i would suggest is a tank commander slot. The tank commander is usually NOT the gunner, at least on axis tanks (not sure about russian tanks, although i'm certain T-34-85's had 3 man-turrets) Generally, the tank commander commanded the tank and spotted for enemy tanks. this could help with tank and assault gun survivability, and possibly eliminate some of the solo-tankers. The main reason why the panzer III was a great tank, was because it was the first tank with a 3 man turret, even though it had a vastly inferior main gun in general, not to mention armour. This would add further still an element of realism to the game. the loader however, i would not add in, as that would make it into having at least 3 people (even without the commander) minimum to use a tank effectively.

Upvote 0
I was being sarcastic.

I'm all for a tank commander slot, but, you'd have to do a few things first. Number 1, you'd have to add a new, "in turret" view for the commander, and, you'd have to give him the ability to mark tanks with a circle or something that would show up on the gunner's screen since not everyone has a mic and communication is important.

Upvote 0
As for that problem (kipper) I believe if you made it so that the movement keys were slaved to an enemy tank position (IE, up arrow/w would be "enemy tank ahead, left arrow/A key "enemy tank left") that would help a lot. as for enemies on diagonals, 7,1,9,3 would work too (on numpad) or we could use the numpad for all of those directions. On a side note, what would make the use of assault guns (and tanks in general) more effective would be destroyable terrain, but unfortunately, i believe that is beyond the unreal system's capabilities at the moment. might be completely wrong, but oh well.

back on topic, ranging could be worked in via the numbers 5 and on (assuming no more than 4 people are in a tank at a time) and could be done like this: 5 = 100-200m, 6 = 200-400m, 7 = 400-600m, 8 = 600-800m, 9 =800-1000m. Generally, it's not really possible to guess that accurately, so i believe these values would be good as estimations.

On to keystone's note: No assault gun was invulnerable during the war, though they may have been frontally invincible to most (though i don't think any vehicle could resist punishment from an ISU-152 or Jagdtiger for very long) If the system could be modified to make it so that the armour values are different for every side, this would make flanking a very practical idea, as if you flank a jagdtiger from the side or back, usually you should be able to destroy it, assuming you have a good enough gun.

Upvote 0