• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mod vs Retail

Kadrin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 13, 2007
So the retail version of this game is really nice, been playing it alot recently but a few things are bugging me.

Having come from the mod originally I gotta say I am upset that alot of the maps are gone. (Either that or they were renamed and I haven't found them yet). I loved playing maps like Jucha, Rostov, Red God of War, and just about every other map.

I also enjoy having the weapon shot out of my hand and shooting them out of my opponents. Why was this removed?

And why is ammo now packed in nice neat pouches and not the scattered clips/magazines? This feature I don't care too much either way, but it seemed more realistic picking up individual bits instead of having all enemies drop pouches.

Thanks you ahead of time for answers. :)

You can still shoot weapons out of peoples hands, this hasent been removed.

The old style weapon pickup system caused so much frustration that it was changed so we now have ammo pouches instead on indivdual clips. Really I think having pouches is better, why is it more realistic to have to pickup clips? Was it standard practice for a soilder to take all the ammo from his pouches/webbing or whatever then through them all over the place when he drops his weapon?

Upvote 0
Yeah, the old ammo scatter was a real pain. I like the new pouches a lot more. One drawback (small, small drawback) is that you can't share your ammo by throwing it on the ground and dividing it among two or three people.

I get my weapon shot away regularly. Amazingly I haven't been killed very often lately when it happens. There's nothing like crawling around in the mud trying to find gun and ammo while bullets and barrages are hitting all around.:eek:

A couple times recently I've managed to save some friendlies by shooting the rifle out of the hands of an enemy. The enemies were poking their weapons out windows or around corners and shooting at team mates. I couldn't see the enemy but I could see their forward hand. Blam! Weapon dropped, enemy panicking, friendly rushing in for the kill. Ahh, the satisfaction!:D

Upvote 0
A couple times recently I've managed to save some friendlies by shooting the rifle out of the hands of an enemy. The enemies were poking their weapons out windows or around corners and shooting at team mates. I couldn't see the enemy but I could see their forward hand. Blam! Weapon dropped, enemy panicking, friendly rushing in for the kill. Ahh, the satisfaction!:D

I love doing this. If I'm playing sniper and no other targets are in site, it's always wonderful to nail someone in the hand and have them drop thier gun. Even if you miss and only hit thier forearm, you'll still probably scare them enough into taking cover. I still think getting hit in the forearm should also make you drop your weapon.

Upvote 0
Ah, its very good to hear that you can still get your weapon shot out of your hands. Was playing for hours without seeing it, having done it or someone doing it to me and it got me wondering, and when I asked someone in the server said it was removed.

And I would think it more realistic to pick up clips instead of the pouch because of the way the pouches are usually attached. On a German rifleman for example both pouches are looped onto the belt (which is hell trying to get on or off in my reenacting experience), so unless you took out a knife to cut them off the belt it was just much easier to open them and grab the clips rather than remove them from the belt.

I'm pretty sure most German pouches were attached like that also, not too sure on the Russians. Though I will agree it is a pain in the *** to pick up all the individual clips and don't mind the new system (though I would like the old one back, it was fun to watch an enemy scramble to pick up the clips while you shot at him).

Aeneas2020, I have been trying the custom maps, and alot of them are very good. I just miss the maps that I learned the game with, they were very fun.

Upvote 0
And I would think it more realistic to pick up clips instead of the pouch because of the way the pouches are usually attached. On a German rifleman for example both pouches are looped onto the belt (which is hell trying to get on or off in my reenacting experience), so unless you took out a knife to cut them off the belt it was just much easier to open them and grab the clips rather than remove them from the belt.

I'm pretty sure most German pouches were attached like that also, not too sure on the Russians. Though I will agree it is a pain in the *** to pick up all the individual clips and don't mind the new system (though I would like the old one back, it was fun to watch an enemy scramble to pick up the clips while you shot at him).
Remember, it's a game.

Upvote 0
I miss the really loud footsteps, especially on wood floor. Made staying upstairs really tense. I also miss the really loud rifle sounds (not the actual sounds themselves, but the powerful, booming sound they gave).

I know one of the RTR servers has a good modded sound for the k98. It's a nice, big boom-crack, similar to the real thing. Unfortunately they also modded the STG to sound like some kind of CS autocannon.

Upvote 0
I think it's dumb that your ammo packs go flying when your weapon gets shot out of your hand.

There should be a difference between dropping your weapon with the ammo packs (as by pressing the key or dying) and getting the weapon shot out of your hands (only the weapon.)
Welcome to the forum!

This is an engine limitation. If it was possible to keep your ammo you would. Unfortunately its not, but instead of removing the malfunctioning "feature" they kept it in and now we have to deal with it. Its fun if it happens, but its also, as you pointed out, dumb.

Upvote 0