• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Miss Belgium booed for language lapse

Well, i'm not from Belgium but the way i understood it there allways were some squabbels between them. Flanders and something else, wich i cant remember the name of or something like that :p

Anyways, since she is gonna be Miss Belgium, and Belgium has 2 universal languages, i think she should speak both languages to be a true Miss Belgium, otherwise she should be a Miss Flanders or whatever side they talk french in on :D
But i couldnt really be bothered by it.

Upvote 0
Well AFAIK it all started when the french speaking side aired a fake newsreport of how we, the dutch speaking side, declared independence. The french speaking side was too blind to read the "this is fake" message on the bottom of the screen so alot of them actually believed it. The dutch side was like "wtf, we don't want to declare independence." But then we started to think about it, because the french part is actually really poor and the dutch side is quite rich. Then there were the elections which showed the dutch speaking side wanted a new party to run the government (don't know about the french side). The to-be prime minister tried to form a government but the french parties just said no to everything. Possibly because they didn't want to give too much power to the dutch side. And then it just became a mess.

That is, that's how the Flemish news told me.
I wouldn't be surprised if the wallonian news said something else.

Upvote 0
Well, i'm not from Belgium but the way i understood it there allways were some squabbels between them. Flanders and something else, wich i cant remember the name of or something like that :p

Anyways, since she is gonna be Miss Belgium, and Belgium has 2 universal languages, i think she should speak both languages to be a true Miss Belgium, otherwise she should be a Miss Flanders or whatever side they talk french in on :D
But i couldnt really be bothered by it.

im from belgium, and we have 3 official languages.
dutch, french and german.

we have 3 different smaller "countries" called "regions" inside belgium: brussels, walloonia and flanders. each has it's own government and is relatively independant. there has never been violence between communities, its mostly politician bastards arguing.
above that there is the belgian federal government, wich is a mix of all 3 regions, and supposed to rule the country.
so belgium is just an empty shell, created by politicians to get more power. now we are stuck with 4 governments in this 10 million people country, we have like 1 minister for every 50 habitants.
Flanders is verry rich compared to walloonia and brussels, so they are tired of sending money to them, while they don't seem to be doing anny effort to get out of this bad situation. wallonia is verry poorly lead, by pretty much the same corrupt politicians since 30 years. in wallonia you are better of unemployed, cause they give you more money then a worker. so people vote for the same bastards who give them money.

its a verry complicated country, and there is a chance that it will cease to exists if this crisis doesn't end soon, we have had no government since 6 months now!

for my part my ID says im wallonian, but i live right on the border and have lived in both regions and speak dutch and french.

and you can't blame miss belgium for not speaking dutch, i was lucky to grow up in flanders and go to dutch-speaking schools. in walloonia schools are of less good quality and everything on tv is translated to french. so they naver have had to do any effort to learn another language. i grew up wathing english and american movies and series on tv who were simply subtitled in dutch. so you end up knowing the other language.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its a very complicated country, and there is a chance that it will cease to exists if this crisis doesn't end soon, we have had no government since 6 months now!

Btw how are your colonies? We could do the goverment stuff once again :rolleyes: But I think nobody wants that ...

You have to admit French is the more erotic language ... poor cute girl which isn't loved by anyone and also blond :eek:

This argument is truely ridicolous from an outsiders point of view.

P.S. The IRC channel misses you Crusher :p

Upvote 0
Flanders is verry rich compared to walloonia and brussels, so they are tired of sending money to them, while they don't seem to be doing anny effort to get out of this bad situation. wallonia is verry poorly lead, by pretty much the same corrupt politicians since 30 years. in wallonia you are better of unemployed, cause they give you more money then a worker. so people vote for the same bastards who give them money.

it is poorly explained.
All european country had to face the industrial crysis.
In france f-e, the northern of france is massively industrial (mine, siderurgy,fishing) when crysis hit the region there were massively unemployement because nobody has developped the other sector in this region (you do the work of your father etc ...).
But the rest of france wasn't affect by the crysis because it wasn't really industrial.
It is the same scheme in england or in belgium where the wallonian side was massively industrial compare to the flemish side.
So it need time to rebuild a new economy.

In the flemish side , a massive push of extreme right wings flams belang and aggressive behaviour against french symbol and the general speech/opinion blaming the walonnian for unemployement (rich flemish vs poor wallon) has pushed the wallon media to think about this eventuality.

But seriously, the large majority of belgium are against the cease.

In case a cease, france would be very pleased to see the wallon joining france :D

Upvote 0