• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 MG42 needs a nerf

Torio

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don't get me wrong, it's a right cool weapon and i love that it is in the game, but it's simply too powerful and frankly, not very sporting to rack up kills the rate you can with it.

I am an avg player, but I can easily triple my score in any match just by choosing this over the other MG.

It's fun, but a bit greasy.

I think TW should consider adjusting the weapon to better suit the game.

While I agree that it's stupid easy to rack up kills, it is fairly realistic as it is and it shouldn't be nerfed.

Movement speed however, for it and the other LMG's should be slower and I'd like to see only one barrel change per mg ' er unless they get to ammo. It'd make people play smarter, especially with the 42.

Upvote 0
MG'ers may be in for a rude awakening in the near future.

tracer rounds?

Seperate makers for recon?

Cannot prone anywhere?

Cannot deploy anywhere?

No one resupplying you until after screaming for ammo in team chat for half an hour?

Pink tutus and ten gallon hats?

Seriously, MG42ers should be issued with binoclars and configurable camo, and DP28ers a forcefield shell and the yell "hurrah" after avery kill. Anyone using a MG34 clad in an enemy uniform to reduce team kills.

Upvote 0
tracer rounds?

Seperate makers for recon?

Cannot prone anywhere?

Cannot deploy anywhere?

No one resupplying you until after screaming for ammo in team chat for half an hour?

Pink tutus and ten gallon hats?

Seriously, MG42ers should be issued with binoclars and configurable camo, and DP28ers a forcefield shell and the yell "hurrah" after avery kill. Anyone using a MG34 clad in an enemy uniform to reduce team kills.

If TWI revisit MG's as Yoshiro hinted, the days of the MG player as a MOUT assault class are done, as well they should be.

The MG has class has been problematic in this game since the beginning.

Upvote 0
If TWI revisit MG's as Yoshiro hinted, the days of the MG player as a MOUT assault class are done, as well they should be.

The MG has class has been problematic in this game since the beginning.

I think it was more along the lines of fixing known issues, which some have been (resupply at ammo dumps was fubar, deploy/prone used to be completey broken), and limiting the number of LMG slots per map. Possibly even making Rambo'ing a bit harder (second mouse click to hip fire after moving, and severly limited movement rate/rotation while hip firing).

To think TWI would remove the class entirely is totally improbable, especially with the warm welcome of the 42, or heat generated depending on which side of the fence you're on. If TWI gave the MG42er a PO8 many dreams will have come true, including mine.

Upvote 0
The LMG was providing about 75% of the German squad, you need that firepower for attacking and defending. This "magic" is real as you yourself would have issues keeping the gun straight. If you are under fire you **** your pants. Of course in RO you know that the worst thing happening is slow death and therefore missing the respawn queue. Real life has you **** your pants, shaking stimulates this otherwise you could return fire like in CoD.
I also think that RO is doing a great job on punishing you for stupid daredevil actions like running across plain country or in the middle of the streets.

I suggest you play on a darker map like my Kessel version. If you rattle up your LMG you become a Christmas tree and be sure that you receive some fire yourself. This in general counts for all automatic weapons, even a PPSh is a firework there.

A weapon that really needs to be cut down is Rising Storm's flamethrower. Maps like Hanto and Guadal with their dense vegetation are ideal for hiding, yet the flamethrower burns you out there. Until here everything's good yet, seconds later a whole horde of Yanks runs past your crisp body. How the hell is that possible, the bushes should be ablaze and should burn them to death.

Upvote 0
The MG42 as a weapon is fine, doesn't need nerfing.

The problem with it is that it is a 'sexy' weapon and creates even more stacking on the Axis side.

The way to rectify this is to give the MG42 as an option to the Allies Hero MG class, as I have said before.

Moreover, MG rambo is completely flawed in RO2 and the MG42 is now the greatest CQB assault gun in the game. This should not be the case. Hopefully as Yoshiro has hinted all MGs will be nerfed in CQB in a forthcoming update.

The MG42 does however need to be given to the Allies to help reduce the stacking.

Upvote 0
The MG42 as a weapon is fine, doesn't need nerfing.

The problem with it is that it is a 'sexy' weapon and creates even more stacking on the Axis side.

The way to rectify this is to give the MG42 as an option to the Allies Hero MG class, as I have said before.

Moreover, MG rambo is completely flawed in RO2 and the MG42 is now the greatest CQB assault gun in the game. This should not be the case. Hopefully as Yoshiro has hinted all MGs will be nerfed in CQB in a forthcoming update.

The MG42 does however need to be given to the Allies to help reduce the stacking.

Simply throw the whole enemy weapon loadout overboard. When I select Soviets and play as an MGer I take the DP28. I have not the slightest need and desire to grab the MG34.
When I choose Germans and play as rifleman I choose the Karabiner 98k.

The only weapon I use over both teams is the PPSh41. 3 million units were captured by the Germans during their advances in 1941-42. The MP40, to counter preemptively was - if used by Soviet units - the NKVD and SMERSH operatives behind enemy lines. Currently the Allies only feature the Red Army.

Upvote 0
Simply throw the whole enemy weapon loadout overboard. When I select Soviets and play as an MGer I take the DP28. I have not the slightest need and desire to grab the MG34.
When I choose Germans and play as rifleman I choose the Karabiner 98k.

The only weapon I use over both teams is the PPSh41. 3 million units were captured by the Germans during their advances in 1941-42. The MP40, to counter preemptively was - if used by Soviet units - the NKVD and SMERSH operatives behind enemy lines. Currently the Allies only feature the Red Army.

We have been over this.

I view historical accuracy in this instance significantly less important than game balance and fun for both teams which helps player retention.

Upvote 0
The only problem I have with it is that it is probably too easy to run-n-gun with it and it needs the extra mouse click as Twrecks has said.
Pretty much this

It is by far the easiest gun to Rambo with.

At first I tried to stay on the fence about the MG42, but after enough playtime (against and with it) it is a better CQB weapon than guns such as the PPSh, and outcompetes basically every weapon at midrange (which is its job). So one of those has to go, and the thing that shouldn't go is its job.

EDIT: Also getting rid of that annoying bug where you have 1-3 round belts. The absolute worst.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe we are going about this the wrong way.
The MG was literally the backbone of the german infantry and as far as I remember usually had one per squad with the squad leader possibly having a SMG and the rest rifles.
Maybe changing the axis setup to have three squads with a Squad leader each and and MG each and all the other roles rifles?
This may make the MG more important to keep alive for the team rather than a suicidal 100 round SMG.

I personally don't think any changes will be made to RO2 now but we can all moan and dream about it.

Upvote 0