• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG suggestions.

Mg34 was more accurate, especially in single shot. But the 42 was absolute garbage in the mod, no one ever used the 42. The dp was pretty bad in the mod, but now it rocks :) .

All smgs were much more accurate before, like their effective range listings are the actually effective range, unlike 30 feet for the ppsh now. And bursting atually worked. Spamming the smgs was an actual term, unlike now where it is the only way to use them.

Rifles are less accurate but that's ok. They were like lasers before. Although i've noticed that the bullet drop is less signifigant.
I can acualy understand the horrible smg recoil because in RO people die in one hit usualy and the maps are close if the recoil was better smgs would just domminate. Some other guy in a thread said that if the recoil was reduced it wouldnt change the balance because in other games dods and cod2 the smgs are accurate and they dont cause problems but that insnt valid because they take alot of hits to kill.

Upvote 0
How come they clearly dont funtion nearly the same as in real life same with smgs I understand the smg thing for balance but the mgs are just crap compared to what they were like in real life like I said earlier this other guy posted he knew somone that was in ww2 and him and his squad had to blow their way and mousehole their way through the attics of the buildings instead of face the weapon! If that was RO they would have just poped their head up and aimed as the mg was missing they would have poped off a shot killed him and thought nothing of it. Have any of the guys at tw ever even shot an mg 42 I can tell you it dosnt kick or shake nearly as much as OR depicts you can accuatly shoot with long busts at a man sized target from over a hundred yards with deadly accuracy. I realy think that tw should reconsider their postion on mgs it wouldent be that hard to fix realy most of the community aggres with me history aggres with me but it is just my and mostly eveyone elses opinion its your game though.

I'm sure you have extensive experience with firing MG42's in real life. You are clearly the expert here. When you can suggest how we accurately model "fear of death" in a video game, then we can recreate why guys had to "mousehole" up a street. :rolleyes: I also find that most of you completely under/overestimate ranges in the game. You claim something about 150 yard shots on your friend missing, when that range in the game is probably much closer than you think it is.

NO, it's not everyone elses opiniton. In the other "MG SUXORS" thread you have 27 people that demand they need fixed. Considerting we have 1000's of players in the game, I'd hardly call that "everyone". Most of the people who find the MG's are fine "as is" aren't going to come here and complain about it. That would be rather a waste of time. I'm just one of the few that will tell you 27 that you're full of crap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure you have extensive experience with firing MG42's in real life. You are clearly the expert here. When you can suggest how we accurately model "fear of death" in a video game, then we can recreate why guys had to "mousehole" up a street. :rolleyes:

NO, it's not everyone elses opiniton. In the other "MG SUXORS" thread you have 27 people that demand they need fixed. Considerting we have 1000's of players in the game, I'd hardly call that "everyone". Most of the people who find the MG's are fine "as is" aren't going to come here and complain about it. That would be rather a waste of time. I'm just one of the few that will tell you 27 that you're full of crap.
lmao ok how about we both go into a game you set up your mg and will absolutly own you with a rifle possibly and smg. You will be firing and as your shots wizz by me I will pop an accurate shot in your face :p . and how to model fear of death is to incress suppression that is one of the main reason mgs get picked off so much I can pop my head up and get fired upon by and mg and the surpression does next to nothing I can just pick it off with my rifle somtimes my smg if Im lucky. You and I both know this is complete crap. And about the most people thing yes I am sure most people think the mgs need better accuracy some people dont come to the forums or are playing you cant look at things so one sided dude. If we could do a poll that everyone that plays RO votes in I would bet moeny that 80 to 90 percent would want better accuracy. One more thing an mg is alot more accurate than a rifle it has a longer barrel alot more heavy=less recoil and they have a bipod or even a tripod for very good accuracy. Just open a history book to see how accurate these things are even on a bipod. And know we are not full of 'crap' I have facts to back up my arguments where are your facts truman of mgs constantly being picked off by rifles and somtimes smgs tell the book that says mgs have huge cone of fire and horrible recoil. Dont talk unless you have somthing usefull to say instead of you **** I pwnor they work. end rant lol

Upvote 0
lmao ok how about we both go into a game you set up your mg and will absolutly own you with a rifle possibly and smg. You will be firing and as your shots wizz by me I will pop an accurate shot in your face :p . and how to model fear of death is to incress suppression that is one of the main reason mgs get picked off so much I can pop my head up and get fired upon by and mg and the surpression does next to nothing I can just pick it off with my rifle somtimes my smg if Im lucky. You and I both know this is complete crap. And about the most people thing yes I am sure most people think the mgs need better accuracy some people dont come to the forums or are playing you cant look at things so one sided dude. If we could do a poll that everyone that plays RO votes in I would bet moeny that 80 to 90 percent would want better accuracy. One more thing an mg is alot more accurate than a rifle it has a longer barrel alot more heavy=less recoil and they have a bipod or even a tripod for very good accuracy. Just open a history book to see how accurate these things are even on a bipod. And know we are not full of 'crap' I have facts to back up my arguments where are your facts truman of mgs constantly being picked off by rifles and somtimes smgs tell the book that says mgs have huge cone of fire and horrible recoil. Dont talk unless you have somthing usefull to say instead of you **** I pwnor they work. end rant lol

I mow down lots of riflemen, often peeking around a corner to take potshots. You must go against a lot of dumbass Machine Gun players setting up in open ground. You go against me and you won't even get your iron sight up. If you do, I failed in my job. Blah, blah, blah...you prove nothing and just go on about how you own amateur machine gunners. Good for you...

Upvote 0
You claim something about 150 yard shots on your friend missing, when that range in the game is probably much closer than you think it is.
Even more a reason, then the MG shoud NEVER miss the target, even when you see just a slight tip of his helmet ... though, changes not the recoil issue, people are complaining about.

yes, thats of course true, the just, 20 or 30 people here youre talking about, do in no way represent all the players out there. But still, they do play the game, same as you do, have there experience, same as you do. So there opinino, have the same weight as yours and from evryone. But some of those people here, that complain about the mgs have real life experience with the MG42, telling, that the mg in game, reflects in no way, the real one. This combined with my own experience i have in game with this weapon, and all the videos from the net and documentations i seen let me think about it, that they "might" be right. If you want, you coud take as best example here, that you are not able to use the MG42 from the hip, when in fact you raly can. There are some here, that say, "ha, if you get so close to the enemy, you deserve to die", but then ill ask, why are we able then to do this with the MG34 and DP? Why not restrict them here as well? Just cause they have magazines and the Mg42 a belt that coud let it jam then. Again, the Mg shoud not jam, more from hip, then using in its usual ground role, without a second men, to lead the belt.

Upvote 0
I mow down lots of riflemen, often peeking around a corner to take potshots. You must go against a lot of dumbass Machine Gun players setting up in open ground. You go against me and you won't even get your iron sight up. If you do, I failed in my job. Blah, blah, blah...you prove nothing and just go on about how you own amateur machine gunners. Good for you...
Dude I couldnt give a **** how many people you kill with your mg they do not function correctly like they do in real life give me some facts of how the accuracy and recoil is as heavy as it is in RO I am waiting. O yeah I would easly pick you off dont even try man mgs are so inaccurate I dont care how good you are you wont hit me before I hit you or even surrpress me.

Upvote 0
Dude I couldnt give a **** how many people you kill with your mg they do not function correctly like they do in real life give me some facts of how the accuracy and recoil is as heavy as it is in RO I am waiting. O yeah I would easly pick you off dont even try man mgs are so inaccurate I dont care how good you are you wont hit me before I hit you or even surrpress me.

You can't provide any facts that the accruacy and recoil aren't modeled correctly. You face amatuer machine gunners. MG's take a LOT of practice and most people never get the chance and aren't willing to practice against bots. You will know the good ones when you play against them, and you will hate them. I dont' play against a bunch of rank amatuers riflemen either...just ask anyone over on 2Manny's ROOST. They know it when I have a machine gun.

Most of you don't even begin to understand what it takes to use the weapon properly. Hell the accruacy and recoil are nothing. It's all about position and mobility. You position yourself to get the first shots unexpected. You kill a few, then you move to a new spot. You always keep a tight lane of fire so someone can't shoot you outside your fire arc (i.e. cover on one or both sides). Stay away from areas you can safely be grenaded from. Most of you set up in open ground and sit in the same spot, waiting for the guys you just killed to come back, lean around a corner and shoot you. How stupid is that? It's more difficult to use the machine gun correctly than the sniper rifle. You clearly face a bunch of rank amateur machine gunners.

With the MG42 you fire in very short controlled bursts. Ater threats have been neutralized, you change the barrel so your accuracy doesn't continue to deteriorate. If you can swing it, get a rifleman to join you. You will be unstoppable then as he picks off leaners and covers you while you reload. In a strong position with a good rifleman, I've actually survied the entire round. You then follow the tactical suggestions above. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would take the MG 34 given the choice. On Konigsplatz, there are TONS of places you can mow down a wave of Soviet infantry from the flank, then get up and move to another spot. There are spots like these on all the maps, most of you can't or dont' spot them.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with the MG42's accuracy or recoil. I can kill tiny figures of guys running almost fogged out on Konigplatz. On long range shots you just aim above their heads and lead them a bit and put out a bit longer burst than at close range. 90% of the time, the guy runs into your lead and you are rewarded with the kill.

It's very difficult to use the machine gun in an offensive posture. Running to the front line and setting up is a sure way to draw ALL fire to you and get yourself killed. In an offensive role, you move up behind the rest of the soldiers and when they contact the enemy you deploy your machine gun to back them up. If they overcome the enemy you just undeploy and move up. If they get killed, then you can hold the area until they get back to where you are. Most machine gunners run up to where the enemy is, plop on the ground and start firinging. It's really a sad waste of a valuable resource.

There's more....I'm probably about to write a guide soon. Of course, then I will have given up lots of my valuable experince and secrets. But if it will stop all the whining it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You face amatuer machine gunners. MG's take a LOT of practice and most people never get the chance and aren't willing to practice against bots. You will know the good ones when you play against them, and you will hate them. I dont' play against a bunch of rank amatuers riflemen either...just ask anyone over on 2Manny's ROOST. They know it when I have a machine gun.

Most of you don't even begin to understand what it takes to use the weapon properly. Hell the accruacy and recoil are nothing. It's all about position and mobility. You position yourself to get the first shots unexpected. You kill a few, then you move to a new spot. You always keep a tight lane of fire so someone can't shoot you outside your fire arc (i.e. cover on one or both sides). Stay away from areas you can safely be grenaded from. Most of you set up in open ground and sit in the same spot, waiting for the guys you just killed to come back, lean around a corner and shoot you. How stupid is that? It's more difficult to use the machine gun correctly than the sniper rifle. You clearly face a bunch of rank amateur machine gunners.

With the MG42 you fire in very short controlled bursts. Ater threats have been neutralized, you change the barrel so your accuracy doesn't continue to deteriorate. If you can swing it, get a rifleman to join you. You will be unstoppable then as he picks off leaners and covers you while you reload. In a strong position with a good rifleman, I've actually survied the entire round. You then follow the tactical suggestions above. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would take the MG 34 given the choice. On Konigsplatz, there are TONS of places you can mow down a wave of Soviet infantry from the flank, then get up and move to another spot. There are spots like these on all the maps, most of you can't or dont' spot them.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with the MG42's accuracy or recoil. I can kill tiny figures of guys running almost fogged out on Konigplatz. On long range shots you just aim above their heads and lead them a bit and put out a bit longer burst than at close range. 90% of the time, the guy runs into your lead and you are rewarded with the kill.

There's more....I'm probably about to write a guide soon. Of course, then I will have given up lots of my valuable experince and secrets. But if it will stop all the whining it would be worth it.
LMFAO dude you are you serious in ww2 the mgers didnt switch spots every 2 kills LMFAO they deployed in a good position and mowed down and surrpresed the enemy just admit that they dont have nearly as good accuracy as they do in real life and the recoil is exesive.

Upvote 0
LMFAO dude you are you serious in ww2 the mgers didnt switch spots every 2 kills LMFAO they deployed in a good position and mowed down and surrpresed the enemy just admit that they dont have nearly as good accuracy as they do in real life and the recoil is exesive.

Hey DooD!!!! In WW2 dead guys didn't respawn and know who shot them and where they were at when they came back to life. Good god you have a short attention span.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Did soldiers in WW2 respawn in the same area, did they fight in the same exact plot of land for weeks on end? Could they respawn if they died?

You need to put the MG in a video game perspective instead of a real life perspective. If RO had a round based system like OFP or CS I might see what you mean. But not in RO.

Upvote 0
What I said if the mgs where modeled correctly then you wouldnt have to switch spots every 2 kills:rolleyes: because you could accualy take out those leaning riflemen that pick you off.

How do you figure? Human reaction time isn't instantaneous and we can't see around corners.

If I shot you with the MG and you come back to the same area, you can easily remember where I was, line up your rifle from around the corner, lean and shoot.

Had you not known my location, there's no way you could have done that.

In real life, fear of death, would preclude some schmoe chancing to stick his head out for a pot shot.

You have a clear problem defining the way things work in a game as opposed to real life.

Upvote 0
How do you figure? Human reaction time isn't instantaneous and we can't see around corners.

If I shot you with the MG and you come back to the same area, you can easily remember where I was, line up your rifle from around the corner, lean and shoot.

Had you not known my location, there's no way you could have done that.

In real life, fear of death, would preclude some schmoe chancing to stick his head out for a pot shot.

You have a clear problem defining the way things work in a game as opposed to real life.
This is why this game needs much more heavy surrpesion effects:eek: to simulate fear of death. And no I dont have a problem defining real life and a game this game though strives for realism so it should be as close to real life as current tech can take us of course it cant simulate certain aspects of real life combat that is why we have things like heavy surrpresion to simulate fear of death:)

Upvote 0
This is why this game needs much more heavy surrpesion effects:eek: to simulate fear of death. And no I dont have a problem defining real life and a game this game though strives for realism so it should be as close to real life as current tech can take us of course it cant simulate certain aspects of real life combat that is why we have things like heavy surrpresion to simulate fear of death:)

Bolded for emphasis.

Also

Suppression: An ungodly amount of fire that will pin a person down

Fear of death: Not going into a room because half of your squad was taken out by a machine gun.

Of course fear of death can't be done because we respawn, but suppression works. I created a suppression thread a long long time ago asking if we could see AA's suppression system in RO. Not sure if it was successful, but that works much more than blurring your screen for a split second.

Upvote 0
Bolded for emphasis.

Also

Suppression: An ungodly amount of fire that will pin a person down

Fear of death: Not going into a room because half of your squad was taken out by a machine gun.

Of course fear of death can't be done because we respawn, but suppression works. I created a suppression thread a long long time ago asking if we could see AA's suppression system in RO. Not sure if it was successful, but that works much more than blurring your screen for a split second.
good point what is AA's suppression system could you give me a screen. I have tested the suppresion system and it is not enough to realy stop you from shooting or poping your head up. The only way to realy simulate fear of death would be to up the respond time I wouldnt apose 30 35 secs but that would make the game less fun somtimes.

Upvote 0
good point what is AA's suppression system could you give me a screen. I have tested the suppresion system and it is not enough to realy stop you from shooting or poping your head up. The only way to realy simulate fear of death would be to up the respond time I wouldnt apose 30 35 secs but that would make the game less fun somtimes.

Your accuracy is reduced depending on the amount of fire you are recieving.

Upvote 0
Did soldiers in WW2 respawn in the same area, did they fight in the same exact plot of land for weeks on end? Could they respawn if they died?

You need to put the MG in a video game perspective instead of a real life perspective. If RO had a round based system like OFP or CS I might see what you mean. But not in RO.

thats of course true, and i understand your point. But it does not change the fact, that mgs where absolutly deadly and very accurate weapons. They are weapons, with the intention to kill. There main use is, to hit the enemy, not just suppresing it, or the accuracy, they have, woudnt be needed at all.

Thats what i have read in plenty of german field books, for using the MG, and from MG standarts in the today german military, using it as a weapon, to hit the target, supression, comes from the enemy, fearing the gun, but you only can fear the gun, when it IS deadly accurate. Using with long bursts, gives you not the great accuracy to hit evrything, of course, but i guess no one, on 100m, that gets under fire from mg, will survive long enough to tell people about his experience, when he pops up his head.

So make everyone super vulnerable to an exposed MG, while at the same time make MGs near impossible to take out without grenades or a tank HE shell?

thats what the sniper is there for (or advanced marksem, for RO). Yes i woud love that, not beeing able to take out a MG guner, cause then i woud be as riflemen forced to think tactical, how take out the mg, without making my self vulnerable, as using the smoke, to build a barrer, the mg guner can not use accurate fire, or distracting the mg guner, so the marksman with scope, has time enough, to get him, i had no single game in Ro, i can rember, i realy DEMANDED smoke or a sniper, to pick the mg out, infront of me, cause more then half of the time i faced a mg, i was able to do the job with my rifle. And im just a usual riflemen in this game.

Upvote 0