• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee Weapons Breaking

Problem is though that this isn't an RPG or MMO where you use the same weapon for hours, days, or weeks. Your time with that shiny new fire axe is limited to at most 3-4 hrs (and that is REALLY pushing it)

Implementing this would lead to one of two things:

A. Your trusty fire axe would survive the hour and a half of heavy usage and live to AXE people a question another day.

B. Your ****ty Walmart brand Machete and Cold Steel Katana break in two waves and the majority (I imagine) of the community gets really frustrated that the trader is selling us a $20 mad in China for 500+ DOSH. Some people, including a number of my friends who play berserk exclusively would rage quit the game permanently.

A. is believable and not rage-inducing but ultimately pointless to those that don't machete a wall every 2 seconds. B. requires an incredible suspension of disbelief and would be really quite annoying.

Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0
I don't think it's an entirely bad idea. It's like "buying ammo" for your melee weapon. Why should zerk have infinite "ammo", when all other perk has limited. It would put an end to zerkers soloing hundreds of zeds in a wave and would make them spend some extra dosh each wave on repairing
It would still be too easy to work around it by stockpiling axes.

Upvote 0
Pr0Zerk: Outta my way you n00bs Imma kite the FP
*Katana breaks on Fleshpound's head on first strike - Fleshpound rages*
Pr0Zerk was killed by a Fleshpound

Why should zerk have infinite "ammo", when all other perk has limited.
Because that's pretty much the point of melee weapons.

Still, all this does is add needless maintenance to a class that is already underpowered as it is..
Did you just say ... UNDERPOWERED !?

Upvote 0
The most I could see is maybe a system where the blades will dull, and you can buy a whet stone to sharpen them. Still, all this does is add needless maintenance to a class that is already underpowered as it is. That a Berserker doesn't need to pause to reload is one of the few redeeming factors of the perk.

I see you don't have Berserker at Level 6, and that you don't use it often.

Otherwise you wouldn't say that.

Upvote 0
Only way it would be believable is to have weapon blunting rather than weapon breaking. Weapons are resiliant but they do get worn down with repeated use.

Unlike say gardening tools or whatever that get used every now and again against plants and wood which are generally not very dense strong, flesh and bone are actually rather tough.

In ancient times swordsmen for example would sharpen their blades constantly between battles, and butchers nowadays would sharpen their blades pretty much on a daily basis.

It isn't entirely unbelievable to imagine a blade in KF getting pretty dull over the course of 2 or 3 waves. Having its subsequent damage being reduced by a small margin to reflect this blunting might be the direction this suggestion could go, and have the trader sharpen your weapons would be the repair option.

Ofc the user HUD is one issue, and the variable damage over the life span of the round is where the problem lies. Unlike other ballistic weapons which deal constant damage, the effectiveness of melee weapons will be reduced constantly. THe chainsaw I don't believe would suffer form this so this might be a good buff for it, but I'm neither supporting or sherking the idea myself.

Reactions: Benjamin and Aze
Upvote 0
I see you don't have Berserker at Level 6, and that you don't use it often.

Otherwise you wouldn't say that.
Yes, it's a good soloing perk (purely by virtue of no reloads). In a group, the Berserker is the most useless person there. Everything he does, other classes do better... without needing to charge in first. Heck, anytime I play Berserker I feel obligated to run-off and solo because otherwise half of my kills are dead by the time I can get to them.

So yeah, in a team-based game, the Berserker is underpowered.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a good soloing perk (purely by virtue of no reloads). In a group, the Berserker is the most useless person there. Everything he does, other classes do better... without needing to charge in first. Heck, anytime I play Berserker I feel obligated to run-off and solo because otherwise half of my kills are dead by the time I can get to them.

While I agree that in a team based game, berserker isn't always the best or easiest perk to play, in no situation is it underpowered. I hesitate to say overpowered only because I like my zerk and don't want him nerfed ;)

saying it's underpowered isn't the same as saying you don't like to play it on a team

and in a team-based game, you should be worried about the TEAM not your kill count

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the berserker is a great addition to the team even on HoE. If the team wipes at the start of a wave only a zerk can solo a whole wave alone (I'm talking about 6man HoE). Also zerks can play tank role (and it's not standing in front of a door and slashing your katana wildly in the air while a husks makes a BBQ of you and crawlers enjoy the meal, contrary to the popular belief) which I do quite often and it's really useful though it requires a medic or someone with a medic gun.

Back to the topic, I find berserkers overpowered for the sheer fact that they can solo anything. It defeats the purpose of having a team at all. Being the strongest perk, they are the cheapest to maintain as well. That's why I think a weapon sharpening, repairing would be an interesting idea. And no it shouldn't break during a wave, but should deal less damage if not repaired. And about stockpiling true facts. I think weapons dropped on the ground should simply disappear at the start of each wave. But it's another topic

Reactions: Thunder3000
Upvote 0
And no it shouldn't break during a wave, but should deal less damage if not repaired.

Now this might be more viable. Would likely make a guy want to take out the big stuff ASAP before their blade is dulling by the end of a wave or two... otherwise they gotta hit the thing more!

In any case... it's a weird thing trying to balance a melee class in a generally range oriented game...

Upvote 0

If you're playing Berserker in a team, chances are the rest of the team are Berserkers as well.

Upvote 0