• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medieval II: Total War

I started playing RTW after beeing on the shelve for years. Having hella fun with it.
Vanilla RTW or a mod such as RTR or EB?

After having played M2TW for a while, RTW is so darn arcadish it's hard to stand (and that is with the "arcade mode disabled, mind you!).
Battles are so quick you constantly have to work the pause button to get orders issued or you will miss half of it.
The pace of M2TW feels much more realistic as it's not so hectic.
If I don't have the time for a battle I can always auto-resolve...

Does, by any chance, the full game run better than the demo(s)?

I found the demos hurt my pc a bit!
IIRC, yes, the final game does perform better than the demo.
Besides, compared to RTW, I really have to say it runs better than the predecessor while at the same time featuring improved graphics!
They certainly gave the engine a good overhaul.

Anyway, what's your specs and what settings did you try it at?
I really recommend using the auto-detected ones.
In any case, a good CPU (multi-core) won't hurt.
Some users are reporting slowdowns to the tens in sieges (lots of AI pathfinding!), however, I have yet to experience such.
I am quite sure this is due to dual-core (so there's till one core left to process the remaining game calculations).

Upvote 0
I can't remember what settings I tried the demo at. I'll give it another go soon perhaps. What I disliked about the demo, and reduced my time trying it, was the camera controls. I couldn't find how to have it as I play with in RTW.

I have an older pc (P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 7800GS), but it should still run it. The problem is that my screen resolution is 1680x1050, which can cause a struggle. Of course I can do things like reduce the number of units etc. I'm not sure if this was even possible in the demo.

Upvote 0
I can't remember what settings I tried the demo at. I'll give it another go soon perhaps.
FYI, you can get the demo off Steam now (in case you already deleted the old installer/forgot the link etc).
Also, there have been two versions of the demo out, the latter having received quite an improvement in performance compared to the first.

What I disliked about the demo, and reduced my time trying it, was the camera controls. I couldn't find how to have it as I play with in RTW.
You need to disable the RTS Camera Controls in favour of the TW system (which I also prefer by far).

I have an older pc (P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 7800GS), but it should still run it. The problem is that my screen resolution is 1680x1050, which can cause a struggle. Of course I can do things like reduce the number of units etc. I'm not sure if this was even possible in the demo.
Hm, can't tell that on top of my head, but I do think the settings were comprehensive in the demo even.
As I said, just use the auto-detected settings (usually the ones you'll find by default), that should give you good results in most cases.
If not, users reported that using PS1.1 instead of 2.0 helps a lot.

Upvote 0
I noticed a difference between the demo and retail. Maybe i didnt get much higher frame rates but they where much more constant. I have a 7900gt playing at 1920x1080 and i hover around 30fps. I dont have everything set exatly how i want but they are good enough. Waiting for ATI to get there new card out so i can put everything on high.:p

Upvote 0
spainfx2.jpg

A few years old, campaign wise. Sicily and the italian peninsula are my next targets.

A papal general falling after a failed invasion of zargozza.
papallg7.jpg

Sician pikes, under fire from granadine troops.

silicysspearssl2.jpg

A few black rebels who came near timbuktu, trying to disrupt my gold eh??, their leader took a spear in the face.

rebelgeneralstabrz3.jpg

Firing on french troops.

granadinexbowxv3.jpg

I have LTC 2.2 and its the best mod out imo.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about playing it again, but I got REALLY sick of constant battles between small armies...seriously, can I just have a full stack battle once every couple turns instead of fighting 2 half stacks or less multiple times every turn.
The BigMap mod is supposed to fix exactly that:

http://www.totalwarmods.com/BigMap Download Page.html

AI really stacks up, no more silly invasions or blockades LINK

Plus, well, bigger map, so less cramped and you get some extra provinces, too :)

Upvote 0
I only encounter 3/4 or full stacks, the spanish only have one city so there really weak, but most other factions are plenty rich, and can field large armys.

If you can get the leaked patch, then get ltc 2.2 Factions grab rebel settlements like crazy, and it seems the whole game is very much improved by the patch and lusted's tweaks.

Upvote 0
Eh...I'd wait until 2.3 comes out...right now at 1 year/turn games go really slow and you easily lose interest before getting too far.

Also, 1.2 made merchant changes which completely skyrockets the economy. As Egypt I had 60,000 and I was in 2nd to last place (only because the Turks were vassaled to someone else).

This led to ginormous amounts of armies all over the map...making the game a whole lot less decisive and laggy.

Upvote 0
Eh...I'd wait until 2.3 comes out...right now at 1 year/turn games go really slow and you easily lose interest before getting too far.
You know you can change that yourself to your own gusto, right?

Personally, I prefer the .50 timescale setting, just as in RTW.
It's kinda dumb when you have the summer in one year and the winter in the other as it is by default.

Also, comment out the show_year_as_turns settings, the dumbest idea ever.
I'd like seeing the real year as in every previous TW title (ok, Alexander had the remaining turns, but that one was limited to his lifetime), thank you very much.

Upvote 0
You know you can change that yourself to your own gusto, right?

Personally, I prefer the .50 timescale setting, just as in RTW.
It's kinda dumb when you have the summer in one year and the winter in the other as it is by default.

Also, comment out the show_year_as_turns settings, the dumbest idea ever.
I'd like seeing the real year as in every previous TW title (ok, Alexander had the remaining turns, but that one was limited to his lifetime), thank you very much.

Yeah I changed the speed (though you'd have to go through and rebalance building/recruit/aging speeds I think, manually). The biggest problem I have is the fact that 100,000 florans is the lowest any of us have now. They said it could be changed, but they didn't recommend any specific numbers to change the values to : /

Upvote 0
Well I tried MTW2 but it seemed to be a bit too much for my computer to cope with. Plus although it looked good I'll be much more interested once the TotalRealism guys have modded it. And maybe I will have upgraded by then :)

So I'm back to playing the brilliant Total Realism mod for RomeTW. The next upgrade for that, version 7, looks like it's going to be very good.
I might try the EB mod soon too.

Upvote 0
Well, if RTW runs for you (esp. modded, I think RTR adds quite some detail) then M2TW should also run without any greater problems.
I found the latter to actually perform better than the predecessor for some reason (on the performance/image quality scale ;)).

However, if you are still busy with Rome, that's great.

Personally, while still being a fan of the Roman era, I'm getting more kicks out of Medieval so I was very pleased to see a sequel of one of my all-time favourite games (MTW) :D

Upvote 0